Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Relationships » Talking Sex with the Parental Units

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Talking Sex with the Parental Units
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How do you do it? if you can't, what stops you?

I know I grew up able to talk to at least one of my parents about sexual issues when I had them, mainly because I knew I could, and both of them believed that education wasn't encouragement.

But what works for you, and what doesn't? Do you feel funny about it or not? if you can't talk to your parents, what exactly keeps you from feeling like you could?

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PunkHippie420
Activist
Member # 699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PunkHippie420     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I feel uncomfortable talking to my dad about it, well, cuz he's my dad. And I feel uncomfortable talking to my mom about it because she gets all sad and goes "I dont want you doing nasty things" and stuff... then asks stupid, insecure questions. I hate it.

------------------
peace, music and anarchy
-erYn

Posts: 67 | From: California, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
deegurl143
Activist
Member # 353

Icon 1 posted      Profile for deegurl143     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, when I was growing up I never really got the "talk." All I got from my dad was....as we watched television....use a condom. Ok thanks, dad. LOL! It was kinda funny cuz at the time I was waiting for marriage. Then I met my love. I knew whether or not if we were going to be together forever, but I wanted him to be my first. I think my parents assume I'm having sex because we've been together for a 1 1/2 yrs. They just choose not to really get involved in that part of my life. I know that when I have a child, I don't want that. I would rather know what is my child's sexual knowledge then not know.

------------------
~*GoDdEsS oF lOvE aNd BeAuTy*~

Posts: 269 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pixie69
Activist
Member # 406

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pixie69     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ugh, we had "the talk" when I was in fourth grade and my mom was a Labor and Delivery Nurse (she's the nurse that helps you out when you're giving labor) so she had books and stuff. Mostly it was about babies and how they look when they're in yer tummy but then stuff bout sperm and menstration. Every now and then my mom asks us a question (us being my brother and i) and if we can't answer it we get to go through it again, which isn't fun.

I won't talk to my mom about sex because I know she thinks I'm already having it although I plan on saving myself for marriage. But I don't want her to think I'm lying to her. And I could talk to my dad if I wanted to but I dont' really.

I think I know enough and I know I'll be safe and I can handle taking care of it on my own so I don't htink it's that important for ME to talk to my parents. I know some people who always do.

Brittany

Posts: 1339 | From: Las Vegas, NV, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clav
Activist
Member # 678

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Clav     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, my parents have never talked about that sort of thing with me. I'm 18 now, but up till a few years ago I was never really even vaguely interested in that sort of thing. So I never asked anything about babies, sex etc. I was given a sex ed talk at my primary school at about 10/11, with videos and stuff, and was just like 'eww... never gonna do that'. Hehe - know better now!
I foundmost of what I know out from school i nvarious years, and don't think that my parents would be totallly comfortable talking about many aspects of sex even now.
Maybe thats just a difference between the UK and US parenting ideas.

Posts: 54 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sympathys_Sin
Activist
Member # 792

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sympathys_Sin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My mom and I have a pretty open relationship I guess, it's just that as far as sex goes, we can never agree! Her whole attitude about it kinda irritates me, she's all "WAIT UNTIL YOU'RE MARRIED!!!" and I make fun of her and so I think my attitude on sex annoys her too... I can't tell her anything about my life. A guy who is a year older than me is too old, kissing is going too far.... it's like, um ok mom, I'll just sit here quietly and not go have fun...
Posts: 49 | From: MA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.