Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SHOP TALK » Article Questions & Chat » SexYOUality: Safe, Sound & Sexy - A Safer Sex How-To

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: SexYOUality: Safe, Sound & Sexy - A Safer Sex How-To
Zanney
Activist
Member # 8696

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zanney     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Safe, Sound & Sexy – A Safer Sex How-To
How to bring safer sex into the bedroom without the buzzkill

Posts: 419 | From: Tivoli | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*bumped for BabyGrrl*
Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
isleepwithdinosaurs
Neophyte
Member # 13346

Icon 13 posted      Profile for isleepwithdinosaurs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hey
I read your article safe, sound and sexy but was a bit surprised where it said that gloves should be used for manual sex and saran wrap should be used for oral sex on a female. I don't mean to sound rude, but how is sex going to be enjoyable when you're covered in plastic and latex from head to toe? I know these are all precautions against very harmful infections and diseases, but surely it would be much more enjoyable to get checked out for STIs or STDs before having any kind of sex and then there would be no need to get all covered up as if you were entering a radioactive area.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ashy
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 4764

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Ashy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi there,
A previous user posted a very similar statement--check out our response http://www.scarleteen.com/forum/Forum2/HTML/003704.html

Also, we do recommend STD screening--but that alone isn't enough. Some STDs lie dormant for years, and some do not show apparent symptoms and don't show up on STD screens either.

I would hardly call a little square of latex radioactive protection--gosh knows I would want more if I was entering a nuclear reactor--but rather, a simple, reasonable precaution.

Posts: 1784 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Certainly, if you and a partner can both be celibate from all activities with sizeable risk (manual sex, oral sex, vaginal or anal sex) for six months, while also being monogamous and each get TWO full STD and STI screens with negative results, then your risks are not nonexistent (especially since some of the most common STIs one cannot test accurately for, esp. in men, like HPV), but they would be greatly minimized.

So, that's an option, as it is also an option to be sexually active during those six months but with safer sex precautions before going without. Doing neither eradicates all risk, but nothing does.

But it's also an option to use safer sex practices, none of which involve covering anyone with latex from head to toe, but usinng condoms, gloves and dams, which don't have to ruin anything. Heck, no matter my status, I always prefer a partner of mine using gloves for manual sex anyway, because it feels better physically to me. To boot, knowing what I know about what STIs men can't test accurately for, I'm presonally unlikely if sleeping with men, even after the six-month period and clear tests to not use condoms (and they're also my birth control method with male partners). So, in my book, I've never founnd that safer sex tools have to make sex any less enjoyable.

More times than not, when folks find it unenjoyable, it's not about the tools, but about the mindset they have about using them, such as the notion that one is "all covered up as if you were entering a radioactive area." Toss those kinds of notions, and you'll be likely amazed to find how fine it all really is.

(And heck -- fetish companies make a mint on folks who pay quite a lot of cash to get covered from latex from head to toe for sexual reasons.)

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Melody
Activist
Member # 11055

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Melody     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What about people who are allergic to latex? Also if you and your partner were both virgins before (and your mothers were clean) then you can't have an STI.
My boyfriend and I could go 6 months without sex while being faithful and monogamous, but then of course not many people are in love like we are.

Posts: 81 | From: Canada | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ErinK
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1371

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ErinK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
People who are allergic to latex can use nitrile or polyurethane gloves, dams, and condoms.

And it's entirely possible to develop STDs or STIs such as bacterial vaginosis or yeast infections completely spontaneously, regardless of whether you and your partner are both virgins and what diseases you or your mother may have not had. Virgins can get yeast infections, and do all the time, and it's possible to transmit a yeast or bacterial infection to a partner through sexual contact.

I've been with one of my partners for four years, and we still practice safer sex. It's all about love, for us -- we love each other so much that we want each other to be safe and protected.

Posts: 3077 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lin
Activist
Member # 2050

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whoa hon, being a virgin before engaging in sexual activity does not mean that you cannot have a STI. Sexually Transmitted Diseases are called so because the most common way they are transmitted is through sexual activity. It does not mean that the only way they can be transmitted is through sexual activity.

Many STDs can actually be transmitted through non sexual contact. Some of these STDs which can be transmitted this way includes pubic lice, scabies, cytomegalovirus, hepatitis B and quite a few more. Check out the
Infection Section for more information.

Should you or your partner be allergic to latex, there are other options avilable to you. Non-latex condoms, for example, can be quite commonly found. And instead of dental dams, saran wrap can be used instead.

Posts: 2294 | From: Singapore | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Maisry
Neophyte
Member # 13645

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lady Maisry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think this argument is a bit silly. The article was simply trying to point out a few tips to make yourself safer. If you believe, like I do, that some small risks (depending on the situation) are worth not being covered in latex, then don't cover yourself in latex. The point is that you're informed, and you know how to protect yourself if you think it is necessary.
Posts: 5 | From: Bethany, CT, USA | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lady Maisry, that's is your choice, however laxity with safety is not something we will endorse nor promote to any of our users.

So, note to other users, just because Lady Maisry chooses not to practice safer sex methods does not mean ST said it is okay for you to do likewise.

------------------
mundi faece repletum

[This message has been edited by Gumdrop Girl (edited 06-25-2003).]

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Maisry
Neophyte
Member # 13645

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lady Maisry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I apologize to ST if people thought I was somehow saying that my own opinion was theirs. My point was that in the end, it's a personal decision, that you should always stay informed, and that I don't see how the whole "it's safe" "no its ridiculous" argument is necessary.
Posts: 5 | From: Bethany, CT, USA | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 11 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oops narf.

you're right on that count, Maisry. but we do get a few folks here who totally object to using safety measures and most of the time, it's denial or a foolish feeling of invincibility against the threat of STDs. The people who do come in and announce, "Wee, screw you and your latex! My partner and I are virgins and we couldn't possibly have anything. you people just don't trust your partners!" are prett stubborn and nothing we'll say can change them. and that's too bad because too many of them will find out the hard way that things like herpes can hide out for a good long time.

------------------
mundi faece repletum

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
somewhatanonymous
Activist
Member # 3820

Icon 1 posted      Profile for somewhatanonymous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
you mis-spelled principles on the first page of the article
Posts: 141 | From: Seattle, WA, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
haldir_fancier
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you! All of these help life and sex. They're just there for information, and it's wonderful. Thanks.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kde
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks.
This is very well written & informative in a non-scared-mom kinda way.
Thanks again.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.