Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SHOP TALK » Article Questions & Chat » Pink Slip: Your First Gynecologist Visit (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Pink Slip: Your First Gynecologist Visit
lemming
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lemming     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Your First Gynecologist Visit
What should you expect, and what do you need to do to be prepared for this important part of your healthcare?

Posts: 3156 | From: Austin, Texas | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lemming
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33

Icon 7 posted      Profile for lemming     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just wanted to note that today's is far from my first gynecologist visit, but I still feel nervous, and I read this article every time I go. It's nice to go through and think about all the steps first, and reassures me that everything's going to be fine.

Fantastic article.

The first link at the bottom of the page, however, that links to Teenwire, is dead.

------------------
Laurel Lemming
Scarleteen Advocate

"Maypole/The ties that bind you will unwind/To free me one day/And everything decays..." - XTC, "The Wheel and the Maypole"

Posts: 3156 | From: Austin, Texas | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
silverfaerie
unregistered

Icon 14 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pretty informative article. I am about to get my first gynecological exam in a few days and I am feeling a bit nervous. But, not as much as I was before I read this piece. Thanx a lot!!
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Esther
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, i think it sucks that we have to do that at all, but better safe than sorry and at least we can "know before we go" i disagree with a lot of the things on this website because of how i have been raised and the faith that i belong to, but this article was informative and not sexually provocative, so thanks. (At least, i hope no one was sexually provoked by it)

lemming
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33

Icon 3 posted      Profile for lemming     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Esther:
Well, i think it sucks that we have to do that at all,...

Well, gynecologist visits may not be the most pleasant and fun thing to do with your time, but they are important for keeping you healthy. Glad you found the article useful. ;]

------------------
Laurel Lemming
Scarleteen Advocate

Kissing girls in English at the back of the stairs, you're a honey with a following of innocent boys, they never know it because you never show it..." - Belle and Sebastian

anahati
Activist
Member # 14729

Icon 1 posted      Profile for anahati     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm 17 and have been having my period for 7 years. I *lost my virginity* about 3 years ago... and I've only ever had one pelvic exam. I thought that was fine, till I read this article. Now I realise how important it is to have these exams regularly and will do so.
Thanks.

------------------
they were digging a new foundation in manhattan / and they discovered a slave cemetery there / may their souls rest easy now that lynching is frowned upon / and we've moved on to the electric chair ... am i headed for the same brick wall? / is there anything i can do about anything at all? / except go back to that corner in manhattan / and dig deeper, dig deeper this time ...

-ani D

Posts: 64 | From: Canada | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gloriana232
Neophyte
Member # 19876

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gloriana232     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm 19 and a virgin. I tried to briefly broach the subject of a gynecological exam with my mother today. She looked at me and said it was something you started when you "got married" (i.e. she has a more traditional view of sexual relations and she quite clearly meant "when you have sex" -- she actually even added that).

This is obviously a much broader issue. By requesting that she help me arrange an exam, I am essentially saying to my mother that I don't believe in sex only after marriage (just in looking for the right guy at the right time). This is what I believe, but I'm unsure how well it would go down with her.

I really do think it's time for me to start exams, AND possibly birth control, as a safety measure. I'm quite sure honesty and a touch of sensitivity are the best policy, but does anyone have any advice, or experiences, to share?

Posts: 5 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Really, your reproductive system is there whether you have sex or not, complications and conditions can occur whether you have sex or not.

And the old idea that only sexually active, older or married women need GYN care is a bad one, one that easily contributed and contributes still to poor women's health.

So, I'd actually suggest addressing it that way to your mother, because that truly is the real issue. I've met women my age -- I'm in my mid-thirties -- who only started seeing a GYN when they were pregnant or thinking about becoming pregnant, and some discovered that was a terrible error.

So, that's what I'd suggest. It's not about sex: it's about your health and the well-being of your female body, to make sure it's as healthy as possible through your whole life, regardless of the choices you make.

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gloriana232
Neophyte
Member # 19876

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gloriana232     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, Miz S. That's a great perspective ... I'll have to talk to her again soon. Wish me luck.
Posts: 5 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eve_ll2002
Neophyte
Member # 20562

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Eve_ll2002     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay after toiling over the idea of the "exam" for a long time, reading up on it as much as I can, knowing what will happen as if it were second nature, but Im still scared stupid. I know its usual to be nervous and I also know its healthy for me to go get the "exam" done. But it stil doesn't calm my nerves about such.
I never liked anyone else except me or my boyfriend, looking or touching "down there" I think I gained that issue from when I was young and had to go through simailler "exams" due to a medical condition I had, I remember every bit of it, hated it that I couldn't make the doctors stop, hate my parents even more for letting the doctors do such. I know I should go but I don't know if I can stop myself from having a pannic attack whilst doing so. Any sugestions? please help I would like to have a happy healthy sexual life, like my happy love life.

~Eve-ll2002~ AKA Skittish 16

Posts: 1 | From: Christina lake, BC, Canada | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ErinK
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1371

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ErinK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you know that you have issues that will make a medical exam difficult for you (and many women do, so this is not an uncommon problem), the best thing to do is to be honest with your doctor and to let them know what's going on. They may be able to suggest or find ways to make an exam easier for you.

You might also want to bring a friend or relative, if you would find that comforting.

Posts: 3077 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EverTheWild
Neophyte
Member # 20932

Icon 6 posted      Profile for EverTheWild     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi.

I'm 16, and recently sexually active. I've never had a gyno visit before, but I plan to go at the latest this summer before I go to college, but maybe sooner if, say, my sexual status changes and I decide to go on the pill. I'm sorry if you think this is too late and I should already go see a gyno; I will certainly take it into consideration. Anyway, my concern is this: is it likely that I will be aroused by a gyno visit, or parts of it? I don't necessarily think I will, it's just that it is sexual tension, right, since someone's touching you? I guess I'm just nervous, but any advice would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

Posts: 36 | From: St. Louis, MO, USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Think about it this way:

- the object of your greatest affection kisses you.
- your uncle Barney, who smells like moth balls and seriously needs to stop wearing plaid polyester kisses you.

Same reaction?

Not likely.

Just because someone is touching you doesn't mean it'll be arousing. The above is a benign example: suffice it to say there are more intense examples, like say, being raped and having consensual sex: someone is still touching you, but in the first instance it is by no means arousing.

In other words, context is key. have women ever become aroused at the GYN office? Sure, but likely only because they found their GYN or nurse attractive, and even then, it's fairly rare to have sexual feelings IN the office, during the exam.

Not to worry: if it happens, it does, not big, but it's pretty unusual.

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Murray27
Neophyte
Member # 18712

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Murray27     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Could you elaborate more on the advantages of going to the gynecologist vs. having my primary care physician perform the pelvic and pap smear?

Last year it was a trade-off: I was worried about specific gyn issues so I saw my PCP for a ten minute check-up just to get asthma meds, and got the full appointment with the GYN.

This year, I'm unemployed so even though I have insurance [I pay all premiums], I have to pay the deductible. It seems to make sense financially to have my PCP do the pelvic and pap when I go for a full physical (and not just med refills). They're in the same health system, so she'll have my records from the GYN.

It is important to me to continue to go to the same doctor system I've been in my whole life -- they have all my records -- so I'd prefer not to go to PP or a similar clinic. [Especially since I have insurance and they'd probably not take me.]

Originally, I went to the gyn because the PCP couldn't get the speculum in and said I didn't need a pap as a 21 y.o. virgin; the GYN was able to get it in comfortably. Now that I'm sexually active, I expect the pap with my PCP should be easier.

What would be the advantage of spending the extra money for the second doctor visit to see the gyno separately?

Posts: 5 | From: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

If your primary care physician CAN tend to your reproductive health, that's absolutely fine. Should, at any point, you need more specialized care for any sort of reproductive health condition they CANNOT handle, you can look into a private OB/GYN at that point -- or should you become pregnant and need OB care -- but otherwise, sounds like you're fine.

Cost-wise, however, you might find that some sexual health/women's health clinics DO cost lest, esp. in terms of things like STI screenings, diagnostics, etc. So, iof you're in an area where there are independent clinics, might be worth a call for some estimates, as many indie clinics are sliding scale.

Kj066
Neophyte
Member # 25018

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kj066     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am 20 and have not gone to the gyn yet. I know I have waited far to long and still I'm nervous about going. I'm not sexually active and have never had any problems down there. My mom never forced me to go so I never pushed the issue. But I'm 20 now and still haven't gone. I know I have to make the appointment but I'm nervous and scared. What if my doc asks why I waited so long to go? What if something goes wrong? Ugh, I just really don't want to go.
Posts: 2 | From: Marlton, NJ | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Your GYN may ask you why you've waited so long ... and you should be honest. A lot of people are scared to go, and some let that fear control them and they never go.

Have you thought about taking someone w/ you? If you're not comfortable taking someone you know, you can always ask one of the nurses to hold your hand and talk you through it.

As for something going wrong ... You'll never know unless you go. What do you think is the worst that can happen?

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kj066
Neophyte
Member # 25018

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kj066     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, I made my appointment, which I think is a step in the right direction. Thank you!
Posts: 2 | From: Marlton, NJ | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rio23
Neophyte
Member # 25134

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rio23     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hi
i found the articles on gyn exams great because of the information.i knew stuff before but now i have a way bigger picture.iam only 14 but when the time comes for me to have a gyn exam i wont be as nervous .me and my older friends would talk about going to the gyn and i would just listen as i didnt know anything much about it.i was just wondering when would be a good time for me to start going to the gyn iam not sexually active but i would like to know that iam ok.i cant talk to my mother because when i started my periods i was too embrassed to talk about it but she knows.i dont have any older sisters or cousins to talk to about things like this please help if you can thanks

Posts: 1 | From: newport | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dailicious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's recomended that you see a gynecologist when you begin menstruating, which means it would be a good idea to start going now.

I understand you're embarassed to talk to your mom, but you really shouldn't be. She has gone through everything you have and a whole lot more with periods and gynecologists, so she'll understand anything you might say to her, really.

Just say to her, "Since I have started my period, I'd like to see a gynecologist."

Posts: 3382 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LLFU
Neophyte
Member # 25700

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LLFU     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've never been to a gynecologist... I know I will sometime in the near future and I was nervous....they keep the rubber glove on while trying to get in my anus...oh god...
they must have some sort of thing to relax me...that or lube...
but I definitely needed the heads up. i had no clue about most of this, so thank you.

Posts: 9 | From: Benson, North Carolina, US of A | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katie1984
Neophyte
Member # 25784

Icon 1 posted      Profile for katie1984     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I was 17 I had my first visit to the Gynecologist. She discovered an abnormality and I had to have surgery remove the affected cells. If the problem was caught earier, it would have been easier to treat and less traumatic.
If you are putting off going, please stop. It gets easier once you are familiar with the procedure. Besides, if there is something abnormal there wouldn't it be nice to have it taken care of before it becomes a big problem?

Posts: 4 | From: Leominster, MA, USA | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daria319
Activist
Member # 19692

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daria319     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Am I the only one who wasn't nervous about the first exam?

The only thing that freaked me out was seeing that needle going toward my arm.

I went to the Student Clinic, got through the exam, and then went back to class. Apparently the medical staff on my campus is a very gentle and caring bunch of people.

Aside from damn near giving myself an anxiety attack over a little needle, everything went great. (I've been nervous about needles ever since my TB test and the tetanus vaccination in the same arm. First I almost passed out because the nurse wiggled the needle when it went in for the test, and then she hit a nerve with the vaccination...damn rough nurses!)

[This message has been edited by daria319 (edited 10-30-2005).]

Posts: 407 | From: Georgia | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
$@mm!3
unregistered

Icon 10 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hey..im 15 and have had my period for 2 yrs...nd i want 2 go c a gyn but 2 embaressed to have some one lookin at mi privates let alone playin with it!

$@mm!3
Neophyte
Member # 27615

Icon 10 posted      Profile for $@mm!3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by rio23:
hi
i found the articles on gyn exams great because of the information.i knew stuff before but now i have a way bigger picture.iam only 14 but when the time comes for me to have a gyn exam i wont be as nervous .me and my older friends would talk about going to the gyn and i would just listen as i didnt know anything much about it.i was just wondering when would be a good time for me to start going to the gyn iam not sexually active but i would like to know that iam ok.i cant talk to my mother because when i started my periods i was too embrassed to talk about it but she knows.i dont have any older sisters or cousins to talk to about things like this please help if you can thanks

yea hi..
i agree with u..im 14 turning 15 ive had mi periods 4 2 yrs im not sexually active nd i wish 2 c a gyn..but i dnt want mi mum there well not in the room n e wayz..i also do not no how 2 ask mum..n e ideas?

Posts: 7 | From: nsw | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
$@mm!3
Neophyte
Member # 27615

Icon 5 posted      Profile for $@mm!3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hey pplz...
umm im 14 had mi periods 4 2 years...i want 2 c a gyn but i dnt want to tlk 2 mum bout it coz its embarassing..im not sexually active..but im not sure how id go with some person touching mi privates who i do not know..
i really wannna go but i do not know where the place is and also..can u please tell me what they do 2 me nd how u have 2 lay..etc

Posts: 7 | From: nsw | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bobolink
Activist
Member # 1386

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Bobolink         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Please note that in accordance with the board Guidelines to which you agreed to be bound, netspeak is not permitted here. Continued use of it may jeopardise your posting privileges. A link to the Guidelines is at the top of this page.

------------------
I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.

- Galileo

Posts: 3442 | From: Stirling, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ErinK
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1371

Icon 10 posted      Profile for ErinK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did you read the article, or did you just read this thread? Because the article talks about what they do and how you have to lie down.

Give the article another read, and come back with any questions you might have: Your First Gynecologist Visit

Posts: 3077 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annie114561
Neophyte
Member # 25332

Icon 5 posted      Profile for annie114561     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, I have a quick question.
I am having my first gynecologist visit on Thursday.

I have read "Your First Gynecologist Visit" by Heather Corinna (very helpful by the way).

But I have a question regarding my period and my first visit. I just finished my period on Monday and my first visit is on Thursday. Is that an okay time to go?

Posts: 5 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
annie, that's a perfectly good time to get a checkup.

------------------
LA County STD Hotline 1.800.758.0880
Toll free STD and clinic information, and condoms sent to your door for Los Angeles County residents.
1 in 3 sexually active people will be exposed to a STD by the time they turn 24.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
$@mm!3
Neophyte
Member # 27615

Icon 10 posted      Profile for $@mm!3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
annie,how old are you bacuase i am wanting to go and see the gyn but im only 15 and ive had my periods for 2 years now?
should i go now or wait till im older?

Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sammie, you are old enough to see a gynecologist. Talk it over with your mom. She might not be so convinced because you'll always be her little girl, but tell her that your body is developing and you just want to make sure everything's going okay.

------------------
Toll free STD and clinic information, and condoms sent to your door for Los Angeles County residents.
1 in 3 sexually active people will be exposed to a STD by the time they turn 24.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
$@mm!3
Neophyte
Member # 27615

gumdrop girl, would you reccomend me to go see one?..how old where u when you had your first visit?
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i was 17. i was having some issues with my uterus. the problems had started a bit before then, and we tried fixing the prob with medication, but ultimately, i went to see the gynecologist. i'd have gone sooner if it would have occured to me. but lucky for you, you asked at good time and got an answer.

------------------

$@mm!3
Neophyte
Member # 27615

thankyou gumdop girl..
i dont want to tell my mum but im not sure if i can go without a parent and how much it costs?
and yes i think im goin 2 book n appointment to make sure im fine.
would u recommend having a female doc or male?

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.