Donate Now
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SHOP TALK » Article Questions & Chat » Skin Deep: On the Rag

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Skin Deep: On the Rag
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On the Rag
Everything you need to know about your fertility cycles and menstruation... period.

Posts: 68237 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wonder42087
Activist
Member # 13289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wonder42087     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I usually have a good amount of vaginal discharge daily. After my boyfriend performs manual sex on me, I go dry for a couple of days...why is that? When there is no vaginal discharge, is that a good environment for sperm to live in?

------------------
Wonder

Posts: 57 | From: Cleveland, Ohio, USA | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Jill
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Jill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hon, have you read the article linked above? On page three it explains discharge and how it relates to fertility.

Odds are you're just on a drier part of your cycle and it's not related to manual sex at all.

Also check out Honorably discharged – A Guide to your Vaginal secretions.

Posts: 3641 | From: Truckee, CA, US | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wonder42087
Activist
Member # 13289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wonder42087     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So being dry like this for about 4 days is ok? I mean, does it have to do with pregnancy? I've read every single article on this site, I just need details. I know that pregnant women have no discharge at all because of hormone changes. After manual sex I got discharge which was clear and kinda sticky. Is that normal? But now I have none at all...I think my period should be around the 17th...does this make sense?

------------------
Wonder

Posts: 57 | From: Cleveland, Ohio, USA | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by wonder42087:
I know that pregnant women have no discharge at all because of hormone changes.

Woah, woah, woah...where did you hear that? EVERYBODY has discharge. Discharge may change during pregnancy (amount, consistency, etc.), but I can assure you it is still present. Your vagina is sorta like the inside of your mouth, it is never completely dry. Nor should it be.

If you're worried that you're pregnant, then I'd suggest you take a test and find out rather than trying to divine the future from your discharge.

------------------
Sarah Liz
Scarleteen Sexpert (and Labia Lady)

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wonder42087
Activist
Member # 13289

Ok well so I'm not completely dry. When I pee there is discharge and I can see in the toilet but there isn't any in my underwear like usual. I always get like this after manual sex....all I want to know is if that is normal or not

------------------
Wonder

Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
to quote directly from where i said it in P&P
quote:
Do pregnant women get vagina discharge? Not much of it. The hormones in charge during pregnancy signal to the cervix that it has to stop making really wet and gooey (like runny snot or egg whites) mucus.

i was hoping that i would not have to spell everything out and that folks could make some inferences, but that's what i get for neglecting the adage "assume infinite intelligence and infinite ignorance."

So, I shall assume infinite intelligence and infinite ignorace and say this: When you near ovulation, your cervix starts making really gooey, wet mucus. its structure is like a bunch of parallel strands. they guide sperm into the uterus for fertilization. The rest of the time, your cervix makes mucus that's like Elmer's Sno-Glu (think kindergarten). It's sticky, low-moisture stuff. This helps the cervix block stuff out of the uterus. the hormone processes during prgnancy switch off the wet, gooey stuff that is good for sperm, and let the cervix just make the sticky barricade stuff.

So, your driest days are supposed to be bad for sperm, but because nature isn't precise nor perfect, accidents AND INFECTIONS still happen. Just use the condoms, and you will have that much more peace of mind.

------------------
Summertime, and the living's easy...

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wonder42087
Activist
Member # 13289

Alright. I'm sorry for being so ignorant. I'm new to this stuff...I'm not an expert like yourself. Thanks for the information though.

------------------
Wonder

sassysarah
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Help! I''m having an argument with a friend about whether your menstrual bleeding stops when you're underwater (bath or swimming). I'm about 99 percent sure this is an old wives' tale, but I can't find any links or books that address this topic. Thoughts? Sources?
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
logic_grrl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 8067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for logic_grrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nope, menstrual bleeding doesn't stop underwater, according to this gynecologist:

http://www.ivillagehealth.com/experts/womens/qas/0,11816,417281_3112,00.html

However, one reason why people might believe in the myth is that women actually produce way less menstrual blood than many people imagine - it's really only 2 to 6 tablespoonfuls for an entire period. It just looks like much more if you only see it soaking pads or tampons.

So in the course of the average bath, shower, or even swim, you'll only produce a tiny amount of blood - definitely not the "Jaws"-style water-turns-bright-red scenario some people imagine .

Posts: 6944 | From: UK | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sassysarah
unregistered

thank you so much!
sassysarah
unregistered

thank you so much for the link!
Chaie
Neophyte
Member # 13609

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Chaie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The article mentioned that sometimes cycles are shorter than four weeks (i.e. 3 or so weeks) but mine is 5 weeks, or occasionally 6. Is this terribly unusual, and does it have any connection to the fact that my periods are typically longer than 7 days?

Posts: 3 | From: Palo Alto, California, USA | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Chaie, that depends on how long you've been on. The normal range for cycling is 21-35 days, anything beyond that *if* you have been menstrual for over 5 years (beyond the realm of irregularity, or so it would seem) should be investigated by your gynecologist.

you did not specify how long your periods are, but if they extend beyond 9 days, I'd definitely get that checked as well.

------------------
mundi faece repletum

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chaie
Neophyte
Member # 13609

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chaie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind.
Posts: 3 | From: Palo Alto, California, USA | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sweet_steph2007
Neophyte
Member # 13833

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sweet_steph2007     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hi, i was wondering. . . i was researching and this site said that labia minoras or however you spell that come in all shapes and sizes......i believe min eis larger and is not completely inside , it comes out. . . woudl this affect using tampons? i haven't tried them yet i always chicken out... thanks
Posts: 11 | From: Iron Mountain, Michigan USA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ErinK
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1371

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ErinK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The size and shape of your labia minora shouldn't affect being able to insert or use tampons.
Posts: 3077 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kittylouise711
Neophyte
Member # 14134

Icon 10 posted      Profile for kittylouise711     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just got my first period and, not asking my mom, needed some information and tips. Thanks to "On the Rag", I am fully informed, reassured, and prepared.
Posts: 36 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Avrie_44
Activist
Member # 10881

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Avrie_44     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When i get my period, i usually feel like i have to pee but there is nothing there and when i do it hurts and feels very uncomfy for a few hours after. and it is so uncomy it make me cry, i went to the doctor about it and she could not find a uti, or a bladder infection or anything. what could it be and how can i make it go away??
Posts: 98 | From: Alberta, Canada | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MarvellousPurple
Activist
Member # 8776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MarvellousPurple     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
this is a guess, Avrie, but do you use tampons? When I used to use them, they would push on my bladder making it feel like I had to go to the bathroom often and making it uncomfy when I did. You could try using pads, or I switched to the Keeper which doesn't have the same effect for me. Hope I helped

------------------
I can taste you on my lips and smell you in my clothes

Posts: 475 | From: Back in Providence, RI | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
colourmetwice
Neophyte
Member # 16568

Icon 14 posted      Profile for colourmetwice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great article! Incredibly informative! I don't unsterstand why we're not taught these things in school. Our SexEd seems to be majorly out of date.
I do have a few questions though:
1) Are you saying I can pick up regular beauty sponges from the store and use them as tampons? I've seen the ones on the Lunapad website. But are you saying I don't have to specially order them-that I can just grab the ones at the store? How long can I keep them in and how long are they good for?
2) I am a bit confused as to how to chart my fertility. I've heard things like "In general, you are the most fertile the first week after your period". Are things like this partially true or does it solely depend on the individual. Are there any sorts of generalizations?
3) Well, this is more of a comment. I am a nude model for the art class here on campus. (3 hours in the afternoon every Tuesday and Thursday). Not wanting to wimp out just because I have my period, I first used tampons and just tucked the string inside me. Then I found INSTEAD and tried that. No go! It took awhile to figure out how to get it semi-confortable. Then, I wasn't sure how long I could use it for(when it would be full) it practically overflowed. Unlike a tampon when you can see if the string is getting red or you can give a little tug to see if it comes out easy-ready to change-or it stays pretty good-you have time, there is no way to guage besides getting used to it and yourself. Also, there is just no graceful way to take that thing out. Its very messy, blood tends to splatter, and the sensation of all of that backed-up blood rushing out of me all at once is far from pleasant.
So for now I'm back to tampons, but maybe I'll give those sponges a try...

Posts: 35 | From: Oak Harbor, WA, USA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CrimsonSky07
Neophyte
Member # 18848

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CrimsonSky07     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you so much for this right.. I dont know what I would have done without it. I have been really worried because usually I get my period on the full moon which was like a week ago but from the artice you wrote it really helped me understand that SO much could have influenced my period that there was no need really to worry about being pregnant (which I was worried about). I still havent had my period for this month but I am trying not to worry because my boyfriend and I used protection.. I think it is just a coincidence that this is the first time I had sex and everythign and then I am delayed on my period by a week.. and counting.. I am still pretty worried but there is no need to be.. thanks again!!

Posts: 18 | From: Sparta, MICH, USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
logic_grrl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 8067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for logic_grrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Judging by what you said in your other posts, you did not use "protection". So please, get a pregnancy test.

I know it's scary, but a pregnancy test will give you a definite answer.

If you aren't pregnant, then you can stop worrying. And if you are pregnant, then you need to know a.s.a.p. so you can decide what to do next.

Posts: 6944 | From: UK | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
onosurf
Neophyte
Member # 20448

Icon 1 posted      Profile for onosurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In reply to a question regarding what is a "normal" period (as far amount of flow)...If you have a period for greater than 7 days and/or you go through more than 6-8 pads per day during your cycle, you likely have menorraghia (or excessive menstrual bleeding). It is not uncommon: 1 in 5 women have this.

This can be controlled with birth control pills. Once you are done having kids, you can get this taken care of permanently with either an endometrial ablation or a hysterectomy. Aside from reproductive purposes, your period is not needed--unless you like it.

Posts: 3 | From: seal beach, ca | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
logic_grrl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 8067

On the other hand, neither are periods (even unusually long periods) some sort of terrible illness that "needs" treating with major surgery - especially surgery like hysterectomy that can have some huge side-effects.
onosurf
Neophyte
Member # 20448

Icon 1 posted      Profile for onosurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've met many women whose period is so debilitating that they couldn't leave their house for a couple of weeks per month. I would say that is a "need" for surgery, if they are done having kids. God bless the menstrual cycle, it is great. But sometimes, it can be cruel and needs to be fixed. Talk to someone that has menorraghia (or metrohagghia).

I'm not bashing periods or claiming them as dirty. I'm trying to inform that not all women have periods that are normal. Some are very abnormal. Just trying to wipe out ignorance.

Posts: 3 | From: seal beach, ca | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And that's great, seriously.

But the causes for abnormal vaginal bleeding are MYRIAD. Sometimes, that abnormal bleeding isn't even a period at all, but the product of something like a ruptured cyst, PCOS, endometriosis, the works.

So, one prescription for "fixing" something which could be from a huge number of causes, all of which have different remedies (some via medication, hormonal and otherwise, some nutritional, some surgical, some lifestyle-based, etc.), just isn't salient and doesn't really "wipe out ignorance" because it's seriously oversimplifying the matter.

And assuming that in 6 years of running a site like this, where we have over 20,000 users to the message bords alone, that a volunteer has not heard about or discussed menorraghia or other abnormal bleeding is a pretty silly thing to assume.

Posts: 68237 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
morninsun86
Neophyte
Member # 21535

Icon 1 posted      Profile for morninsun86     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm new and i have a couple of questions.

#1. When will i start my period? I'm almost 14, have pubic, boobs. I'm really nervous.

#2. I was going to the bathroom yesterday, and when i was done I saw some mucussy like substance, it looked like mucus, but it was clear. is this normal?

Posts: 33 | From: villa park | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ErinK
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1371

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ErinK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you're showing the other signs of puberty, then your period is probably right around the corner. It's perfectly normal to not have started at 14, so there's nothing to worry about.

The mucusy discharge is perfectly normal. We have an article called Honorably Discharged all about vaginal secretions that might be helpful for additional reference.

Posts: 3077 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
morninsun86
Neophyte
Member # 21535

Icon 1 posted      Profile for morninsun86     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you so much
Posts: 33 | From: villa park | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
baby witch
Neophyte
Member # 22070

Icon 1 posted      Profile for baby witch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
in some parts of the world, its true, women are are segregated from the community when they have their period. though this is often percieved in today's culture as the women being treated as though they are dirty or contaminating, it is in some culture a means of containing power. many societies see menstruating women as having much magical power (sometimes even scary amounts!) and they are therefor segregated from society during their period to keep their power from messing with the normal cycles of ritual and magic.
cool huh?

Posts: 1 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pyro_angel
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 13245

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pyro_angel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Quoted from a previous post, i do not know how to do this the real way, so i just copy-pasted. sorry it's so long. I cant find the command:
Great article! Incredibly informative! I don't unsterstand why we're not taught these things in school. Our SexEd seems to be majorly out of date.
I do have a few questions though:
1) Are you saying I can pick up regular beauty sponges from the store and use them as tampons? I've seen the ones on the Lunapad website. But are you saying I don't have to specially order them-that I can just grab the ones at the store? How long can I keep them in and how long are they good for?
2) I am a bit confused as to how to chart my fertility. I've heard things like "In general, you are the most fertile the first week after your period". Are things like this partially true or does it solely depend on the individual. Are there any sorts of generalizations?
3) Well, this is more of a comment. I am a nude model for the art class here on campus. (3 hours in the afternoon every Tuesday and Thursday). Not wanting to wimp out just because I have my period, I first used tampons and just tucked the string inside me. Then I found INSTEAD and tried that. No go! It took awhile to figure out how to get it semi-confortable. Then, I wasn't sure how long I could use it for(when it would be full) it practically overflowed. Unlike a tampon when you can see if the string is getting red or you can give a little tug to see if it comes out easy-ready to change-or it stays pretty good-you have time, there is no way to guage besides getting used to it and yourself. Also, there is just no graceful way to take that thing out. Its very messy, blood tends to splatter, and the sensation of all of that backed-up blood rushing out of me all at once is far from pleasant.
So for now I'm back to tampons, but maybe I'll give those sponges a try...

No one ever answered all of those, and I'm curious about some of them. Thanks!

------------------
Advertising on Police cars...police cars...

Posts: 593 | From: Kamloops, BC, Canada | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

1. Yes, those are the same sponges. You can keep them in for the same length of time you've kept tampons in. They're good for a few months a piece, but you want to boil them before and after every use.

2. Per charting, if you just want a basic idea -- are NOT trying to use charting as contraception -- you can do so by charting your periods and your daily cervical mucus. The basics are that your mucus tends to reflect where you're at at dirrent times in your cycle: when mucus is thick and white, or when it is very scanty, you're looking at less fertile times. When it is profuse, thin, clear-ish, a lot like egg white, you're looking at your more fertile times. A woman's least and most fertile times vary from woman to woman, even though there are some averages.

3. Divacups and Keepers are a LOT better than Instead cups: easier to use, not at all messy, one-time-purchases, et cetera.

Popcorn8181
unregistered

Icon 10 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Omg
I can't figure out how to use a tampon.
like this sounds ridiculous but im scared im going to put it in the wrong place

i've read all the instructions i can and none help me and i just can't figure it out

for the time being i'm using pads but i really need to know how to use tampons

Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First step, read http://www.scarleteen.com/body/female_anatomy.html and get a better grasp of your anatomy.

Then get the following three items:
1 large hand mirror
1 small tampon
1 bottle of KY jelly (do NOT use petroleum jelly or oil)

Lube the tampon generously. Practice inserting. Angle the tampon a little bit towards your back. Follow directions on package. Do not leave tampon in. Take out after you're done trying to insert.

------------------
LA County STD Hotline 1.800.758.0880
Toll free STD and clinic information, and condoms sent to your door for Los Angeles County residents.
1 in 3 sexually active people will be exposed to a STD by the time they turn 24.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.