Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » Blood work and BC

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Blood work and BC
panda77
Neophyte
Member # 110838

Icon 4 posted      Profile for panda77     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So I have to get blood work done to get tested for a bunch of things like thyroid, cholesterol, etc. I'm on birth control and I am currently on the 5th placebo pill. I was wondering if it would show in results that I am in birth control because my parents don't know Im taking it. Would it be possible to skip a month and start again after I have my blood drawn?
Posts: 11 | Registered: Jul 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Volunteer Ruth
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 110582

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Volunteer Ruth     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If they're not looking for the presence of birth control, it's doubtful that they'd find it - and in any case, it wouldn't be on your bloods report, they'd just give you the relevant information on your thyroid, cholesterol etc.

Edit: Yes, you could skip it for a month, but then naturally it wouldn't be working as a method of contraception, so you would have to use something else.

[ 07-31-2014, 07:48 AM: Message edited by: Volunteer Ruth ]

Posts: 68 | From: England | Registered: Jun 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
panda77
Neophyte
Member # 110838

Icon 1 posted      Profile for panda77     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was also worried that me being on BC would effect the results of the blood tests. Yes if I decide to start my next pack a month later I would use another method of contraception. I was worried it would throw off my cycle when I started up again.
Posts: 11 | Registered: Jul 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Volunteer Ruth
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 110582

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Volunteer Ruth     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Going off the pill for a month and restarting it could throw off your cycle, it's true.

I can't honestly say that I know for certain that it wouldn't affect the results, but given that whenever I've had blood tests they've never even asked if I was on birth control, I'm at least fairly confident that it wouldn't. I'll check to see if anyone has a more solid answer than I do.

Posts: 68 | From: England | Registered: Jun 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
panda77
Neophyte
Member # 110838

Icon 1 posted      Profile for panda77     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for your input [Smile] Yes I have just been reading that BC raises levels for thyroid tests and I'm afraid they'll figure out I'm on BC. That would be a problem. Not too sure what to do.
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is there any way you can ask your healthcare provider about this? That would be my first suggestion.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
panda77
Neophyte
Member # 110838

I'm not sure because my mom is a nurse so she takes the blood samples herself to her hospital and then the results goes straight back to my healthcare provider. I believe the BC will effect some blood tests so I might be stopping the BC for this upcoming month since I am also getting my wisdom teeth taken out and I have also read that. BC might cause complications there as well. I will just obtain from sex until I begin BC again next month and wait a full month before making sure it's in full effect.
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If that's something you're comfortable with, then of course. Just keep in mind that going on and off of hormonal birth control in a short time span like that can cause a bit of cycle weirdness, and you might have some irregular bleeding.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
panda77
Neophyte
Member # 110838

Yes I assumed that it would maybe mess with my cycle, although is this harmful to my body in any way? I have been on ortho tri cyclen for 3 years and have never missed a pill and don't ever usually experience and mood swings or anything out of the ordinary. When I get my period it seems like a normal period too.

I also posted the other day that my boyfriend ejaculated inside of my because the condom broke on the 3rd day of my placebo pill and that's never happened to me before. I got my period yesterday as expected (I always get it on the 4th placebo pill day). Since I bled, does this cancel out the risk of pregnancy?

I was wondering if me not starting up again after my placebo week is done (it ends this Saturday) would be a problem regarding that situation?

panda77
Neophyte
Member # 110838

An addition to that- Idk if this is a stupid question. But does sperm stay active or whatnot? Im just worried since he came in me two days ago, if I don't start my new pack on Sunday (like I normally would) this poses a risk for pregnancy.
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you had intercourse using nothing BUT the pill then, you can call your prescribing physical for advice with that, which I'd suggest you do.

Personally, I prefer to err on the side of caution with pregnancy when it's not what someone wants, so my advice would be NOT to go without starting your new pack on Sunday, but to go ahead and start that pack and take your pills until it's been at least seven days since that intercourse.

And, perhaps obviously, if you know you are going off soon, and have any intercourse from here on out, you will need to use condoms or another reliable method. If you want help knowing how to use them properly -- breaks rarely happen with proper use, so when they do, it's usually due to user error -- we're happy to help you know how to do that.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
panda77
Neophyte
Member # 110838

We used a condom but it broke. I suppose due to it being dry even though we used lubrication as well. If I were to start my next pack as I would normally do, I would take it on Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday which would be 7 days since that last intercourse (the previous Tuesday). Would stopping after that even protect me at all? I thought we had to take the pill consistently through the end of the cycle (all 21 active pills)

I will be contacting my doctor tomorrow regarding whether or not my results will be affected by my BC. I am just worried about my mother finding out after hearing the results.

I also wanted to make sure that what I tell my doctor is confidential from my parents since I am of age.

Sex and anything related to it is a very taboo topic in my household so this has always been an issue.

Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Anything you share with your doctor is absolutely confidential, yes.

As for your level of protection, that's probably something you're best off asking a pharmacist, or your doctor.

--------------------

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.