Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » Should I be worried?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Should I be worried?
Thereisnoflaw
Neophyte
Member # 110826

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Thereisnoflaw     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just wondering if I should be worried or not. I had sex recently WHILE on my period. He used a condom the entire time and pulled out quite quickly after ejaculating. I am not on birth control so I panicked. Took PlanB within about 5 hours. I'm overweight so I'm not exactly sure how effective Plan B is. Anyway, should I be worried? I'm thinking of trying to get the copper IUD ASAP (if possible) but just can't stop worrying.

Comments? Advice? Suggestions?

Posts: 10 | From: Illinois | Registered: Jul 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If a condom was used properly, and used the whole time, and did not break or slip off, there is no reason to assume the condom did not do its job.

The fact that withdrawal AND Plan B were also used should make it pretty clear that to the level we can reduce the risk of pregnancy with intercourse, you have more than done so. In fact, the condom alone likely did that for you, unless you've left something out here.

If you mean you are looking into getting a copper IUD as emergency contraception, there seriously is no need for that. There just is nothing for it to do that any of these other methods -- and again, likely the condom alone -- did not already do.

But it sounds like you do not feel at all okay with engaging in intercourse, period, if you cannot feel confident with the contraception you already used, so sounds like you may want to seriously rethink doing that again until you feel differently.

[ 07-13-2014, 11:53 AM: Message edited by: Heather ]

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thereisnoflaw
Neophyte
Member # 110826

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Thereisnoflaw     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for the quick reply. Withdrawal was after he ejaculated so I'm guessing that doesn't change your response.

I am looking into getting the copper IUD anyway just because I am not ready to have children anytime soon and feel comfortable doing so. I happened to see that it worked as emergency contraception as well, so that intrigued me. I don't want to take any chances.

An incident occurred last year where I did get pregnant (then miscarried) so needless to say, I'm just paranoid. And yes, I probably shouldn't have had sex again until I felt confident but that's why I'm here and looking into the IUD. I want to protect myself.

Posts: 10 | From: Illinois | Registered: Jul 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Again, I don't see any chances to take here. I don't hear you reporting anything that would lead us to suspect your condom did not work, and you already took Plan B. There's nothing for an IUD to do at this point regarding this particular incident.

Of course, if you just want one anyway, and can get in quickly and would feel better about doing that, it also isn't like it would not be okay for you to have an IUD insertion after using Plan B.

Miscarriages can be rough and scary, I hear you. So, sounds like you know that you need contraception you feel better about than just a condom before you engage in intercourse again. Since you know so clearly that's what would likely have you feeling a lot better on it, I'd encourage you to hold your own lines with that.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thereisnoflaw
Neophyte
Member # 110826

I so appreciate you. I guess the main thing I'm concerned about is that PlanB wouldn't work (which I may not have even needed it). I took it last time I had sex (unprotected, by the way) and ended up pregnant. I took it a little over 24 hours after the incident but I guess the egg had already been fertilized at that point. Sex was during ovulation (I think). I also read up on some information that PlanB is not very effective if you're over 172 pounds, which I am.

I do think an IUD would be a smart choice for me. I just hope I can get in quickly enough to get one. It sure would ease my mind.

I've learned a lot through this process. Lots of research!

Heather
Member # 3

What a wonderful thing to say to someone first thing of a morning: thanks for that. [Smile]

I don't see that there was anything for Plan B to even do for you in this case, but please also know that if you went and bought Plan B, and were of a weight where an extra dose is recommended (and that's not because it's "not very effective" otherwise, but because it *may* be *less* effective), that would have been recommended for you. If it wasn't, you can rest assured you were given a prescription that can work for you like it does for everyone.

You say you had sex while on your period, so that could not have also been while ovulating. And if you haven't done a few months of daily fertility charting, it really doesn't make sense for us to make any guesses about when you ovulate, anyway.

Do you need any help knowing where to go to get a consult for an IUD?

[ 07-13-2014, 12:10 PM: Message edited by: Heather ]

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

Thereisnoflaw
Neophyte
Member # 110826

Of course! I am very appreciative. I just needed to talk it out with someone. [Smile]

Well, I wasn't given a prescription for PlanB. Just went and bought it from a pharmacy.

I was planning on calling Planned Parenthood tomorrow. Seems like they could fit me in sooner than my OBGYN?

Heather
Member # 3

Right, but even at a pharmacy, they have to do a little evaluation, ask some basic questions. (But again, seriously, it does not sounds like you physically needed it in the first place, but instead, were trying to meet a psychological need. Which it clearly didn't meet for you, unfortunately!)

How fast they can see you, and if it's faster than your GYN will vary. After all, they have a schedule and patients just like a private practice. You'd have to call both to find out. [Smile]

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

Thereisnoflaw
Neophyte
Member # 110826

Yes, very unfortunate! Haha. I will do some calling around tomorrow. I will not have sex again until I can secure another type of birth control.

I have one more question/concern. Is it safe to say that the last time I had sex, and got pregnant, was because the egg had already been fertilized by the time I took plan B? Like I said, we had unprotected sex multiple times that day, but he did not ejaculate in me. I just want to know what is accurate, or how it can be explained. I never saw it coming last time because of PlanB but...alas, it did.

I just want to feel comfortable with what I'm doing and learn from my (our) mistakes.

Thank you!!!

Heather
Member # 3

I don't know anything about the sex, or how you used Plan B, or any other methods of birth control, with your previous pregnancy to address that?

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

Heather
Member # 3

(Oh, wait, now I get it, I think: have you been talking about two different incidents here?)

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

Thereisnoflaw
Neophyte
Member # 110826

Yes, in my second comment I mentioned the last incident, which resulted in a pregnancy (and miscarriage).

Would you like me to further clarify the second incident? [Smile]

Heather
Member # 3

I'm sorry, I get it now. [Smile]

The thing is, really, Plan B all by itself, period, is one of the LEAST effective methods, which is why it's presented as a backup in best use, rather than a sole method. Condoms, used properly, to give you an idea, are more effective than Plan B.

And, like every other method, it's not 100% effective in perfect use, period, so no matter per weight or timing, somewhere around at least 5% of everyone who uses Plan B even within the first 24 hours is going to become pregnant.

Does that clear that up for you?

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

Thereisnoflaw
Neophyte
Member # 110826

Yes that does! I have had a misunderstanding of PlanB my entire life! Geez.

So, for the sake of education, what situation is PlanB good for?

Heather
Member # 3

Really, given its cost (it's the most expensive method there is, usually on a per-use basis), and the fact that almost every other method is more effective, best practice with it from both a health/medical and a cost-effective standpoint is to use it when you know or suspect another method you are using has failed or may fail: like a broken condom, or one that wasn't worn for the whole time, someone on the pill who missed a pill or two or hasn't been taking them on time.

But yep; NO method -- not even sterilization! -- is 100% effective, even in perfect use. That includes Plan B.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

Thereisnoflaw
Neophyte
Member # 110826

Gotcha. Thank you for explaining that to me! So, I see now that because we used the condom correctly (to the best of my knowledge), PlanB likely didn't do anything for me?

So, is that the same for the copper IUD as emergency contraception? When should it be used?

Thereisnoflaw
Neophyte
Member # 110826

And so best practice is always 2 forms of birth control? Condom + The Pill, or Condom + IUD, etc?
Heather
Member # 3

Dual contraception -- or using two methods, not just one -- has long been shown in a lot of research to be the best way to prevent pregnancy, yep. And when one of those methods is a condom, and the other a really goofproof method like an IUD, then you're looking at the very best way to prevent pregnancy *AND* STIs.

If you became pregnant then with Plan B and a condom, what's actually most likely is that condom was not, in fact, used properly or failed. If it was used properly -- and that includes for ALL contact, not just some, a part people mess up often -- there would have been nothing for the Plan B to do in the first place. So, what you got there was most likely a condom used improperly, and then Plan B failing on you.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

Thereisnoflaw
Neophyte
Member # 110826

You make perfect sense, Heather. I cannot thank you enough!!
Heather
Member # 3

Glad to be of help. [Smile]

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.