Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » Skipped the last active pill last month. (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Skipped the last active pill last month.
Namnamhaha
Neophyte
Member # 110676

Icon 9 posted      Profile for Namnamhaha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last month was the third month that I have been on the pill. I lost the last active white pill and I didn't have any spare ones so I skipped it. It was a Tuesday (24/6), then I went to Family Planning just to get some more supply. I had period on that day as well then I started a new pack on Saturday (28/6) as I had been told by the nurse to shorten the break to be safe. They said I didn't have to use other protections on the next seven days even I missed the very last active pill last month as I have already shortened the break. I still planned to use condoms for the next seven days because I'm always paranoid. However the condom broke on 3/7 which was 5 days after I started the new pack. We used a new condom about a minute after we realised the condom broke and he didn't ejaculate inside me. Is it true that if I shorten the break I would still be safe even I skip the last active pill last month? Should I be worrying as the condom broke??? Thanks!!!
Posts: 22 | From: Nz | Registered: Jun 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Namnamhaha
Neophyte
Member # 110676

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Namnamhaha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The day I went to get pills and had period was Friday and I started taking it on Saturday. Its Ava 30 ED that I have been taking if it matters. Thanks
Posts: 22 | From: Nz | Registered: Jun 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sam W
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 108189

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sam W     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi namnamhaha,

Since it was your healthcare provider who gave you this advice, you can assume it was sound. So, in this instance, even though the condom broke, you still had some protection from your pill plus you used withdrawl. So your odds of pregnancy are very, very, very low.

Posts: 1292 | Registered: Aug 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Namnamhaha
Neophyte
Member # 110676

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Namnamhaha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sam W:
Hi namnamhaha,

Since it was your healthcare provider who gave you this advice, you can assume it was sound. So, in this instance, even though the condom broke, you still had some protection from your pill plus you used withdrawl. So your odds of pregnancy are very, very, very low.

I am not sure if she really did say I didn't need extra protection as her accent was pretty strong and I planned to use extra protection anyway so I didn't pay too much attention on that topic. However, the condom broke so I'm just wondering if people here know about this way(shortening the break time) works or not.... I had taken 5 pills tho when the day the condom broke but I'm still kinda paranoid...
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What brand of pill did you take five of?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually -- sorry, just getting started this morning, so not as clear-headed as I can be -- that's not that relevant. However, if you're going to use a pill as EC or try to, we should make sure you're using it properly and even take a brand that can work that way.

I missed that the condom broke only once you were in the new pack, and five days in.

So, while, no, shortening the active pill period does NOT mean you get the same level of protection during THAT cycle of pills, I'd say that five days in to your new pack, so long as you have taken all of those pills on time, you should have been fine. Too, when the condom broke, he hadn't ejaculated, so that makes anything but a very small risk unlikely in the first place.

But really, at this point there isn't anything to do about this anyway, save waiting things out and perhaps making sure you two are using condoms correctly moving forward, since they very rarely break with proper storage and use, and coming up with a system for yourself to assure you always take your pills on time.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Namnamhaha
Neophyte
Member # 110676

quote:
Originally posted by Heather:
What brand of pill did you take five of?

Its AVA 30 ED... Its the fourth month this month and I took five when the condom broke.
Heather
Member # 3

Just for future reference, I looked up your pill, and it's not in the list of birth control pills available in NZ which can be used as EC.

So, you don't want to just take a bunch of pills like that again: it will not likely have any impact other than to leave you feeling crummy, and we want to avoid taking any additional hormonal medications than we otherwise need to for our general health.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

Heather
Member # 3

And if you'd like to know, again, for the future, what pills can be used as EC in NZ, here's that list for you, from here: http://ec.princeton.edu/countryquery.asp

quote:
Emergency Contraception in New Zealand
Dedicated Products / Progestin Only
Take 1 pill within 120 hours after unprotected sex:
Postinor 1 (available from a pharmacist without a prescription)
Take 2 pills within 120 hours after unprotected sex:
Levonelle (available from a pharmacist without a prescription)
Postinor-2 (available from a pharmacist without a prescription)
Oral Contraceptives used for EC / Progestin Only
Take 50 pills within 120 hours after unprotected sex:
Microlut
Microval
Oral Contraceptives used for EC / Progestin-Estrogen Combined
Note: in 28-day packs, only the first 21 pills can be used
Take 2 pills within 120 hours after unprotected sex and take 2 more pills 12 hours later:
Nordiol
Ovral
Take 4 pills within 120 hours after unprotected sex and take 4 more pills 12 hours later:
Levlen ED
Microgynon 30 ED
Microgynon-30
Monofeme 28
Nordette
Take 5 pills within 120 hours after unprotected sex and take 5 more pills 12 hours later:
Loette
Microgynon 20 ED
Miranova

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

Namnamhaha
Neophyte
Member # 110676

quote:
Actually -- sorry, just getting started this morning, so not as clear-headed as I can be -- that's not that relevant. However, if you're going to use a pill as EC or try to, we should make sure you're using it properly and even take a brand that can work that way.

I missed that the condom broke only once you were in the new pack, and five days in.

So, while, no, shortening the active pill period does NOT mean you get the same level of protection during THAT cycle of pills, I'd say that five days in to your new pack, so long as you have taken all of those pills on time, you should have been fine. Too, when the condom broke, he hadn't ejaculated, so that makes anything but a very small risk unlikely in the first place.

But really, at this point there isn't anything to do about this anyway, save waiting things out and perhaps making sure you two are using condoms correctly moving forward, since they very rarely break with proper storage and use, and coming up with a system for yourself to assure you always take your pills on time.

Thanks for your reply so quickly to put my mind at ease cuz I am so stressed. I have been on the pill for 3 months. Everything was fine and its my first time experiencing the breakage of a condom. The pills I shortened as I got told were the placebo pills because I lost the last active pill and didn't have one to make it up. I planned to use the 7 days rule just to be on the safe side unfortunately the condom broke...
Heather
Member # 3

I hear you: but really, you did all you can do here, so now all there is to do is just do some things a little differently moving forward. Always backing up with condoms but being sure to use them properly -- that means things like being sure they are stored properly, always used with extra lubricant, not just the little bit of lube that comes on them, leaving room in the tip, etc. -- as well as setting an alarm on your phone or computer daily to take your pill, sounds to me like the things you can do now to just best prevent this from happening again in the future.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

Namnamhaha
Neophyte
Member # 110676

quote:
Just for future reference, I looked up your pill, and it's not in the list of birth control pills available in NZ which can be used as EC.

So, you don't want to just take a bunch of pills like that again: it will not likely have any impact other than to leave you feeling crummy, and we want to avoid taking any additional hormonal medications than we otherwise need to for our general health.

Oh I am so sorry. I didn't take five within one day as an EC but I took one everyday just like normal combined pill and the condom broke the day after I took the fifth pill.
Heather
Member # 3

Oh, I see. Dismiss all that EC info, then!

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

Namnamhaha
Neophyte
Member # 110676

So its not that likely that I'd get pregnant even I only took five instead of 7 to be safe...? Is withdrawal effective though?? Thanks again(:
Sam W
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 108189

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sam W     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, it's very unlikely since, as Heather said, being five days into the new pack means its effectiveness should not be compromised.

You can read about the effectiveness of withdrawl here:
Withdrawal

Posts: 1292 | Registered: Aug 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Namnamhaha
Neophyte
Member # 110676

If this ever happened again i.e.lost the last active pill....shortening the break that I supposed to take the placebo pills from 7 days to 4 days would not help at all??? Just wondering as the nurse said it kept the same amount of pill on my body...?
Heather
Member # 3

Really, what your best bet is to keep this from happening again around that is just to always have an extra pack of pills, so you can simply borrow a pill from your next pack if you lose one.

If your healthcare provider isn't giving you a prescription that allows you to have more than one pack at a time, you can ask them to change that for you.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

Namnamhaha
Neophyte
Member # 110676

I see...does it mean theres no such way to prevent pregnancy?
Molias
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 101745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Molias     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure I understand the question - what are you curious about using as a way to prevent pregnancy, other than use of the pill itself?
Posts: 1352 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Namnamhaha
Neophyte
Member # 110676

The way that I started a pack earlier to shorten the plasbo break time... Is there no such way to keep the same amout of hornones on my body to prevent pregnancy?
Molias
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 101745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Molias     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Even if you don't skip or shorten the placebo week, you're fully protected from pregnancy all the time when taking the pill. So, there's no need to skip the placebo week; the hormone level won't be the same all month, since you take a week off of the pills, but that doesn't mean that the level of protection is lower then.

This article might be helpful: How do birth control pills really work, even during the placebo period?

Posts: 1352 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Namnamhaha
Neophyte
Member # 110676

But i shorten the placebo week because i lost the last active pill? Am i still protected in this case?
Molias
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 101745

You're still protected now, yes.
Namnamhaha
Neophyte
Member # 110676

Wouldnt the hormone level be lower because I missed the last active pill and didnt make it up?
Sam W
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 108189

I think what Mo and Heather are getting at is that missing the last active pill, at this point, would not be effecting how effective it is. And that even if the hormone level varies throughout the month, your level of protection is not lower.
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Missing the last active pill can compromise the effectiveness of the pill, and shortening the placebo week doesn't change that. However, since you've started your new pack and been taking it properly, your pill should be back up to the full effectiveness now.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Namnamhaha
Neophyte
Member # 110676

Some said my level of protection is not lower and some said missing that very last active pill can compromise the effectiveness. So in my case, I lost the last pill, after four days I started a new pack and the condom broke on the fifth days of the active pills. What are the chances overall if there was no ejaculation and a condom was replaced??
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Heather has already answered that question for you:
quote:
I'd say that five days in to your new pack, so long as you have taken all of those pills on time, you should have been fine. Too, when the condom broke, he hadn't ejaculated, so that makes anything but a very small risk unlikely in the first place.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Namnamhaha
Neophyte
Member # 110676

quote:
Originally posted by Karybu:
Heather has already answered that question for you:
quote:
I'd say that five days in to your new pack, so long as you have taken all of those pills on time, you should have been fine. Too, when the condom broke, he hadn't ejaculated, so that makes anything but a very small risk unlikely in the first place.

So, while, no, shortening the active pill period does NOT mean you get the same level of protection during THAT cycle of pills,

But I shortened the inactive pill break...? Would that be different or was it just a typing mistake???

Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Missing the last active pill of your last pack means that you shortened your active pill period by one day. It doesn't matter how long your inactive pill period was. In order for the pill to have full effectiveness, you need to take all the active pills in the pack, and that did not happen.

But, starting a new pack of pills sort of acts like a reset button: you missed an active pill in the last cycle but since you are now in a new cycle, all that matters is how well you have been taking your pills in this cycle. Does that make more sense?

--------------------

Namnamhaha
Neophyte
Member # 110676

Are five days sort of effective????
Namnamhaha
Neophyte
Member # 110676

Cuz i have heard that if people started thhe pill during period they are protected right away is that true?
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

I'm not sure what you mean by five days being sort of effective - could you clarify?

As for people starting the pill during their period, they're likely to be protected quite quickly, but that's about starting the pill for the first time, not about continuing pill use; it's not relevant here.

--------------------

Namnamhaha
Neophyte
Member # 110676

Cuz my condom broke on the fifth day since I have started the pill...i am just wondering if the pill would be sorta effective by that time
Heather
Member # 3

I've already answered that for you right from the start here. If I didn't think your pill could have been effective for you by then, I would not have given you this answer that I did:

quote:

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.