Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » Itching

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Itching
prettyskittle
Neophyte
Member # 68755

Icon 1 posted      Profile for prettyskittle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

I don't know if anyone will be able to help but I'm just after some advice. The last couple of days I've had a slight itching around the outside of my vagina and slightly inside. It's only a slight itch and most of the time it's not noticeable. But I'm just a bit concerned as to what could be the issue?

I know it can be a lot of things, what you wash with, underwear etc so I've just bought a tube of vagilsil to try and see if that does anything.

I've checked myself and everything looks normal and nothing out of the ordinary, no rash redness etc

I have suffered with cystitis in the past, and wondered if it could be thrush or something? I've never had that before. I also wondered if I might have aggravated it when I was on my period by using tampons, as sometimes I have used them when I've not been that heavy and it feels uncomfortable.

With regards to sexual activity, about 2 weeks ago, I did have sex but he only entered me for probably not even a minute. And I don't think it would be anything to do with that.

I'm just after some advice really.

Thanks

--------------------
Smile....

Posts: 30 | From: Uk | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Molias
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 101745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Molias     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Really, the only way to know what's up is to have a doctor do an examination; this is the sort of thing that's impossible to diagnose at a distance.
Thrush can be pretty itchy, so that's a possibility, but it could be from other irritants as well.

If you find that it persists or gets worse after a few days, seeing a doctor would be the next step.

Posts: 1352 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
prettyskittle
Neophyte
Member # 68755

Icon 1 posted      Profile for prettyskittle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used an internal cream last night and although it stang inside it really seems to have helped.

I went and saw a nurse at my gps today and she examined me and I also had a sexual health checkup whilst I was there, in which she took 2 swabs and then I went and did a 3rd myself.

She said I did have thrush and gave me medication for it but the symptoms aren't too bad at the moment, however I am so sore after the examination, like it stang when I wee'd. Is that to be expected after an exam, as obviously I had the speculum inserted in me, which is quite uncomfortable and hurt.

Do you think this will calm down after a while, as that's hurting more than the thrush did!

--------------------
Smile....

Posts: 30 | From: Uk | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, having a yeast infection, all by itself, will tend to make genitals feel stingy and raw. And any stimulus on top of that -- be it an exam, masturbation, tampon use, or sometimes even just sitting certain ways -- is going to tend to feel not-so-great because the tissue there is so tender.

But if, by all means, you start to feel worse over the next few days rather than better, you'll just want to call your healthcare provider back and let them know.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
prettyskittle
Neophyte
Member # 68755

Thank you. It's a lot better today, the nurse said the thrush has nearly gone anyway but they have given me some tablets just to be on the safe side.

I was just a little sore this morning but if I'm honest that was from the exam, felt like I'd had all sorts in there! The thrush isn't really bothering me.

Tomorrow i am more than likely going to have sex with my partner, as he's been away and gets home tomorrow. We always use condoms anyway, will this help protect me from passing thrush, if it's still present to him.

I understand it may be a bit uncomfortable at first due to the exam and me being slightly tender, as the thrush hasn't caused me any pain really.

--------------------
Smile....

Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As your healthcare provider likely told you if you asked abiut it, it really is not advisable to engage in genital sex when you have a yeast infection. You want to wait until you are all better, to keep from irritating or injuring your genitals, so you can heal and get rid of the infection, and because even with condoms, since they do not cover all of your vulva, you can incline your partner to getting thrush.

Sex is about feeling good, so choosing to do it when you know it probably will not? Never makes a lot of sense. Our advice would be to hold off until you are no longer feeling sore at all and you have finished with all your medications.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.