Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » Condom Broke, On Pill

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Condom Broke, On Pill
Sarah726
Neophyte
Member # 78860

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sarah726     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi there, thank you for taking the time to read my post.

Last night, my boyfriend and I had sex and the condom broke for the first time. We were a little confused as we haven't had this happen before and use water-based lubricant. I am on the pill and take it about the same time every day. (On Tuesdays I take it an hour late when I get out of my exercise class, but that doesn't seem too much an issue).

We also use the pull-out method as a third form of birth control. He did ejaculate outside of me (we both watched it) which is when we realized the condom broke. I know there is some risk with pull-out, which is why we use three methods in case one fails. He had urinated before sex and had not ejaculated for two days. He was a good distant from me when he ejaculated so I feel the risk of it getting on the outside of my vagina is close to none.

Would Plan B be overkill in this situation? I am also during my inactive part of my pills right now (I don't get a period anymore because of the pill I'm on).

Thanks for taking the time to help me.

Sarah

Posts: 12 | From: United States | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
coleworld90
Neophyte
Member # 109958

Icon 1 posted      Profile for coleworld90     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,
Im sorry for intruding your post, but was the condom break really obvious when you saw it?

Posts: 23 | Registered: Apr 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sarah726
Neophyte
Member # 78860

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sarah726     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, it was definitely broken.
Posts: 12 | From: United States | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Onionpie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 41699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Onionpie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Sarah. Since you're taking the pill and you didn't take any late, you can still rely on that to be effective. Basically you can treat this situation like you were using withdrawal + birth control pills, which together still have a pretty dang high effectiveness rate! Even the pill on its own has a very good effectiveness rate.

We have an article about how to figure out how effective your paired up contraception methods are, here:
The Buddy System: Effectiveness Rates for Backing Up Your Birth Control With a Second Method

Also, if you're still not sure what went wrong to cause the condom to break, I suggest going through this article and seeing if any of the things mentioned there might have been done wrong:
Condom Basics: A User's Manual

It's totally up to you whether you want to take Plan B, but in terms of risk I don't think it'd really be called for here. I mean, the birth control pill is already more effective than Plan B, so it wouldn't really make a difference.

Posts: 1311 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sarah726
Neophyte
Member # 78860

Thank you for the links--looking at the combinations made me feel much better. I felt like the risk was low, but it still helps to have an educated second opinion as well as statistics to back it up.

We must have needed more lubricant. There was a hole directly on top of the condom, so I'm guessing it was too much friction. I appreciate this article.

I didn't realize how strong just two birth control methods were; it makes me feel better we are practicing three in case one fails, like in this instance.

Thank you for giving me information without judgment. I really appreciate it. [Smile]

Onionpie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 41699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Onionpie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No problem! Glad they cleared things up for you! Two birth control methods combined, particularly when one is the pill (or any other highly effective method), are really excellent for reducing pregnancy risk. And since you guys usually practice three types of contraception, you're pretty much as covered as you could possibly be! That's like having three deadbolts on your door -- it'd have to be one sneaky burglar to get in [Razz]
Posts: 1311 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.