Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » Risk of pregnancy?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Risk of pregnancy?
Kotori
Activist
Member # 17839

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Kotori     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, I need some help evaluating my situation and deciding what to do. A few hours ago I had unprotected intercourse. However he did not ejaculate inside of me, or anywhere close to my vagina.

1) I am on Nuvaring, but this is just the first cycle, and I only inserted the ring on the morning of the 4th June, so slightly less than one week ago. (I had been using Nuvaring for several years in the past, but stopped for a few months and only started using it again now, in case that somehow makes a difference)

2) My period just ended a couple of days ago (I inserted the ring on the first day of my last period, ie. my period started on the 4th)

I want to know what my chances of pregnancy are, and if it would make sense to use/I can use the morning-after pill. Is there any problem taking the pill while on the Nuvaring? I am also taking sertraline 50 mg a day for my depression.

Also, if I take the morning after pill, since I am already using Nuvaring, would I get another "period" right away? What would happen? Would this affect when I should take out the ring and insert the new one?

As for STDs I know I have to get tested, and will do so.

Thanks so much for any help. This has never happened before and I am still in shock over how to proceed.

Posts: 80 | From: USA | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sam W
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 108189

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sam W     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Kotori,

So, since unprotected sex did occur, you have had a pregnancy risk. However, you can assume you at least used withdrawl correctly, which lower your risk considerably. You can assume your ring was not offering its full protection, but it may have offered some.

If you do not wish to become pregnant, then EC is a sound decision. I suggest doing so sooner rather than later, since the sooner you take it the more effective it will be. As for your questions about how it will interact with your ring, I would direct those towards your pharmacist. You can read more about the possible effects of Plan B here:
Emergency Contraception (Plan B or the Morning-After-Pill)

It sounds like this unprotected incident might not have been something you'd planned on. Do you want to talk more about that in any way?

[ 06-10-2014, 10:10 PM: Message edited by: Sam W ]

Posts: 1292 | Registered: Aug 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kotori
Activist
Member # 17839

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kotori     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks you so much for your answer Sam W. I tried but was unable to find the link to the Plan B page. I understand that my risk is low but I still feel I don't want to take any risks at all, so if there is no problematic interactions with Nuvaring or the sertraline I will purchase and take it early tomorrow. I will double check with the pharmacist as well.

I had definitely not planned for this (although I did want to be sexually active which is why I started using the Nuvaring again recently). But I was not coerced or forced. I have just been struggling with really bad emotional trauma/depression/lack of affection in the past few weeks and even though I am trying my best to make sound and healthy decisions, I failed at that today.

Posts: 80 | From: USA | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Onionpie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 41699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Onionpie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Kotori. Sounds like you have a good plan there. I also think that it's really awesome how self-aware you are, and that although you did something that wasn't the best decision for you, you recognise that fact -- that level of self-awareness is pretty hard, so it's great that you're so in tune with yourself that you recognise what's going on. So big high-five for that [Smile]

These articles may have some stuff that you find helpful in trying to make decisions you're more comfortable with in the future:
When Sex "Just Happened" (And How to Make It Happen Instead)
Risky Business: Learning to Consider Risk and Make Sound Sexual Choices
Self-Care a La Carte

Posts: 1311 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.