Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » no pill, no period

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: no pill, no period
selbidercni
Neophyte
Member # 58290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for selbidercni     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I stopped taking the pill after being on it for about 5 years. My last period (or withdrawal bleed) was February 23. I haven't had one since. I stopped taking the pill during the first week of my new pack because I couldn't take the side effects any more.
I've had protected sex several times, always with a condom. I've taken about 6 pregnancy tests in the last 3 months, and they've all been negative.
I have zero pregnancy symptoms, with the exception of my stomach seeming bigger (although that could completely be paranoia on my part.)
I guess my questions are 1. Could 6 tests be wrong? 2. Is it normal to be this late after going off the pill?

Posts: 23 | From: Florida | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Onionpie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 41699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Onionpie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There really isn't any way SIX tests could be wrong. I mean, the ones that were taken before a latest risk wouldn't tell you anything about whether you got pregnant after that risk. I'm assuming what you've been doing is taking a pregnancy test a couple of weeks after each time you've had sex, or something similar to that (rather than all 6 in a very short time)? If so, then the tests should definitely be accurate, and any tests taken after the most recent risk would be the most relevant.

When you stop taking the pill, your periods can definitely become really irregular for a few months after, and stopping part-way through a pack can sort of... emphasize those effects. So if it's only been a few months since you stopped taking the pill, then it shouldn't be anything to be concerned about. If after a couple more months you still haven't got your period, then that would be something to talk to your doctor about.

Talking to a doctor is always an option whenever you have concerns like this as well, so you can ask all your questions and get immediate answers and more personal help. Doctors aren't just there for emergencies, they're excellent resources for this kind of information too! [Smile]

If you're finding that only using the one method -- although condoms are a particularly effective method, they still are only one method and not everyone is comfortable with only one -- then it might be a good idea to look into using another method with the condoms, to improve effectiveness and give you more peace of mind. We have an excellent article about effective pairings:
The Buddy System: Effectiveness Rates for Backing Up Your Birth Control With a Second Method

Posts: 1311 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
selbidercni
Neophyte
Member # 58290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for selbidercni     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess 3 months just seemed like such a long time.
I've taken the 6 tests during the last 2 months, basically one every week. I don't see how I could be pregnant anyway, as I've been very careful, but its just freaky to go so long without a period.

Posts: 23 | From: Florida | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would say that at three months, it's probably just a good idea to call into your healthcare provider and check in with them about it. If they think there is cause for concern, they will then likely look into that.

If not, I think you can trust that and not sweat this. [Smile]

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.