Donate Now
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » Broken condom and emergency contraception

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Broken condom and emergency contraception
sweetjane11
Neophyte
Member # 109157

Icon 4 posted      Profile for sweetjane11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ugh, long story short, my boyfriend and I were having sex, and when we realized that the condom had broken, he had already ejaculated. We were very on top of the situation though, and we were able to obtain and use an emergency contraceptive less than thirty minutes later. I have also been charting my cycles, and all of this happened yesterday, two days before my period was due to start. (I ovulated 13 days ago.) So, even without taking EC, I don't think this situation could have ended too horribly... But we wanted to be as safe as possible.
So, if I am correct, I think I've done a really good job at reducing the risk of my situation, and I am trying not to worry. This has been traumatic though, of course, and I'm just looking for some reassurance.
Also, is it possible that the EC might make my period come later than I expect it to? I am expecting it tomorrow and I do not want to freak out without warrant if it doesn't come then.

Am I correct in my thinking that it is highly unlikely that I will become pregnant? Is there anything else I can do now to better make this so?

Thank you so much Scarleteen, you have always been such a help.
If only condoms were more like you! [Razz]

Posts: 13 | From: California | Registered: Dec 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, you are right: you have already done everything you can do to minimize the risk by obtaining EC so quickly.

EC can affect the menstrual cycle, so your period may be late. If your period does not show, then the best thing you can do is take a pregnancy test as soon as that's possible, to rule out a pregnancy for sure.

In the meantime, this post may help you prevent condom mishaps in the future: Condom Basics: A User's Manual

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9187 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Molias
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 101745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Molias     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You took EC about as soon as possible, which puts it at maximum effectiveness - meaning it has a very high chance of preventing pregnancy, but beyond that we just can't know. You've done all you can at this point; now you just need to wait, as tough as that can be.

A very common side effect of EC is irregular periods for a few cycles, so if your period doesn't come when expected, don't take that as a sign that it didn't work. Because of this common side effect, we do recommend that when folks take EC they follow up with a pregnancy test after it's been at least two weeks since the pregnancy risk happened, since periods don't always arrive when expected to signal that pregnancy didn't happen.

Do you need any information on condom use to help prevent breaks in the future?

Posts: 1345 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sweetjane11
Neophyte
Member # 109157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sweetjane11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you both very much!
We've been perfect condom users for a while, I think this was a rare fluke.
Thanks again! Hopin' for the best.

--------------------
--

Posts: 13 | From: California | Registered: Dec 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.