Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » Help! Should I take EC?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Help! Should I take EC?
Quadrophenia
Neophyte
Member # 41627

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quadrophenia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, I had sex with my bf last night. I am on the pill and we always use condoms. The thing that's worrying me is that when we finished I noticed some fluid at the base of the condom (not sure if it was semen), and there's no way of telling if any of it got in me. He says he pulled out before that happened (I was on top) and that the condom didn't feel loose or anything.

Should I take EC? I'm still within the 24 hour period. I take my pill on time, and this month I've taken them normally (no missed ones) but I ask about EC because at the end of February I missed a pill on the 3rd week,I took precautions and started a new package right away, I got my period at the end of March. I'm not sure if the efectivity of the pills has been decreased.

I don't even know if there's a risk to begin with and if I should even get EC. Help? I'm driving myself sick with worry.

[ 04-15-2014, 07:44 AM: Message edited by: Quadrophenia ]

Posts: 16 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Redskies
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 79774

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Redskies     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not seeing any reason here that either of your contraception methods might have been less effective, so I'm not seeing any need for EC.

If you've taken your pill correctly this pack, EC isn't going to give you any extra protection on top of that. The missed pill in February is definitely not going to make any difference to your pill's effectiveness now.

Condoms are designed to securely hold all fluids from the penis. Unless a condom breaks - and if that happens, it will be obvious - any fluid on the outside or at the base of the condom is going to be your own fluids or lubricant, or a mixture of the two.

--------------------
The kyriarchy usually assumes that I am the kind of woman of whom it would approve. I have a peculiar kind of fun showing it just how much I am not.

Posts: 1786 | From: Europe | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Quadrophenia
Neophyte
Member # 41627

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quadrophenia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the quick response. I'm trying not to stress out, but it's hard in these cases. I've taken ec before when I thought I needed it (I didn't) and the side effects weren't pleasant at all, that's why I was debating so hard about taking it or not.

Again, thank you so much. My mind is a little bit more at ease.

Posts: 16 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Redskies
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 79774

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Redskies     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're welcome.

Is there anything you need so that you don't stress so much? For example, more information on correct usage or effectiveness of the pill or condoms, or something else that we can help you with?

--------------------
The kyriarchy usually assumes that I am the kind of woman of whom it would approve. I have a peculiar kind of fun showing it just how much I am not.

Posts: 1786 | From: Europe | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Quadrophenia
Neophyte
Member # 41627

Thank you so much. The site is incredibly informative and useful, and I'm always careful, my partner as well, but since there's always a possibility for risks, well... I need to learn how to handle stress mostly, but that's another matter entirely.
Redskies
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 79774

Ok. You're right that where intercourse is involved, pregnancy is not impossible. However, when you're using two methods of contraception correctly, the chance of pregnancy is really, really tiny.

Per handling stress, we can make a few suggestions. Everyone needs a few go-to things they can do to help take care of themselves when they're feeling stressed. Do you have that kind of self-care plan in place? If you need any tips or pointers, you might find this helpful: Self-Care a La Carte

Another suggestion we can make is that people only do sexual things that they feel they can comfortably manage. If you feel that what you need at the moment is to have absolutely No risk of pregnancy, then taking anything with pregnancy risk off the table is an option that's open to you.

--------------------

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.