Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » IUD Strings MIA

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: IUD Strings MIA
soft_masc
Neophyte
Member # 108895

Icon 1 posted      Profile for soft_masc         Edit/Delete Post 
I cannot feel my IUD strings. They've softened considerably and I have a lot of thick lubricant, so I suppose I could just be missing them? I know spontaneous expulsion, especially spontaneous expulsion that goes unnoticed, is very rare, but I just recently stopped menstruating and am now concerned this was not due to testosterone but due to pregnancy. I have had a lot of sex with IUD as my only contraception. In addition, I experienced a strange very small amount of vaginal bleeding a few days ago, which I attributed at the time to over-zealous fingering with exceptionally long nails. Is this worth seeing my doctor about? Having been sexually assaulted makes vaginal exams exceedingly unpleasant for me and I want to avoid them if possible.
Posts: 27 | Registered: Nov 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It does sounds like it would be best to be seen by a doctor, unfortunately. While the IUD can cause irregular bleeding as a side effect, it is more likely to make bleeding heavier and/or more frequent, not to make it cease altogether. So, together with the missing strings and the spotting you're reporting, it's best to talk to a doctor, just to make sure that everything's okay.

Do you have a gynecologist who you feel comfortable with and who knows about your history of sexual assault?

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Soft_Masc, I just read your other post and realized that I missunderstood what you meant about your periods stopping. I am sorry about that!

I do still think that it's best to talk to a doctor about the missing strings.

[ 03-21-2014, 05:04 AM: Message edited by: September ]

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
soft_masc
Neophyte
Member # 108895

I have a family doctor who did the IUD insertion. She's lovely and I trust her, but vaginal exams are a pretty terrible experience for me either way. Nevertheless, I'll make an appointment. I won't be able to see her until Monday at the earliest: is there anything I should be doing or changing between now and then?
Posts: 27 | Registered: Nov 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
soft_masc
Neophyte
Member # 108895

Update: false alarm, I found the strings . It must have been an issue of overlubrication the first time I looked for them. Sorry about all this!
Redskies
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 79774

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Redskies     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
These things happen [Smile] Glad you're sorted with the IUD!

--------------------
The kyriarchy usually assumes that I am the kind of woman of whom it would approve. I have a peculiar kind of fun showing it just how much I am not.

Posts: 1786 | From: Europe | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.