Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » Late period and ovary pain

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Late period and ovary pain
Juliadawson
Neophyte
Member # 109825

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Juliadawson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi! So recently I had a big pregnancy scare (I was dry humping with my boyfriend in a hot tub, both wearing swimsuits, and he came). This incident has made me discover this great website and learn a lot of stuff so I'm also a bit glad it happened and also now know I have no risk of pregnancy. But I was freaking out about it for a pretty long time (since it happened a month ago until very recently). Now my period is late. I track it and normally my cicle lasts about 26 days. The minimum was 23 days and maximum 28. It has been more than 28 now and I don't feel any signs of it coming (i usually become bloated and have bad cramps about 3 days before until it starts). Two days ago when I pressed under my pelvic bone it hurt a lot, but only the right side and only when I pressed it, and lasted about a day and a half. Is this normal? Could it be ovulation coming late since I was stressed? (also is it a myth or stress can actually make your period late?) because I read on the internet it could be a cyst or something but it already stopped and only hurt when I pressed on it.
Well thanks a lot and I just wanna thank all of you because this website has made me learn a lot and comforted me in a hard time when I couldnt talk tomanyome about it [Smile]

Posts: 21 | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ovulation is not something that happens because people are stressed out. Rather, it is something occurs because all the hormonal signals sent in the body, over weeks, are sent to tell the body to ovulate.

We can't know what this pain was from: the only kind of person who can diagnose a cause of pain -- when it's not obvious, like when you break a leg and duh, it hurts! -- is a healthcare provider who can see you in person.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juliadawson
Neophyte
Member # 109825

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Juliadawson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for the quick response [Smile]
So the whole "stress can make periods be late" stuff is a myth? I think I should talk to a professional then...
And I didn't say I might be ovulating because I'm stressed, I meant maybe it's happening later because I was really stressed when it was supposed to happen so it might have been delayed or something since people always say stress delays periods

Posts: 21 | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Stress, itself, doesn't really have an impact on menstrual cycles. However, the ways we do -- and more to the point, do not -- manage stress can. Like not sleeping well, or sleeping more or less than usual, eating differently than usual, getting more or less activity than usual, etc.

Make sense?

--------------------
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juliadawson
Neophyte
Member # 109825

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Juliadawson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes it does! But I havent changed my routine at all actually. What's with the late period then?
Heather
Member # 3

We can't possibly know. Periods, like all the other parts of our bodies, can be random sometimes or different than we are used to, because bodies are in a pretty constant state of flux. Sometimes we can outright skip periods, too.

Mind, periods are generally only considered late when they are around -- or more than -- five days after the LATEST we expect them.

I hear that right now, you are seeing a period that has not arrived when typically, you would have had one by now. But this will happen now and then.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

Juliadawson
Neophyte
Member # 109825

Well this is the 28th day of my cicle, and the latest I expect it to be. I'll wait the 5 days then, thanks a lot for your help!
Also if it doesn't come in the next five days what should I do? There is no need to take a pregnancy test right?

Heather
Member # 3

Not unless you feel like you'd feel better taking one, which is a totally valid reason to do so. [Smile]

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

Juliadawson
Neophyte
Member # 109825

Ok thanks a lot for your help Heather [Smile]
Heather
Member # 3

You're welcome. [Smile]

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.