Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » Need clarification

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Need clarification
sweetjane11
Neophyte
Member # 109157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sweetjane11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Scarleteen, I've been a long time reader and find your site to be extremely helpful and reassuring. Thank you! But I need some clarification on a certain subject. In many of your articles that go over what can and cannot cause pregnancy, it states that in order for someone to become pregnant, they either must have direct genital to genital contact, or have a male ejaculate directly onto the vulva. I am wondering if this means that the action of ejaculating is key here... As in, could someone become pregnant if their vulva, or more specifically any area near the vulva (unclothed), were to come into contact with already ejaculated semen on bedsheets? I was also wondering what you mean you say "vaginas are amazing, but they are still subject to the laws of gravity."

Thank you so much for your time! It's really appreciated.

Posts: 13 | From: California | Registered: Dec 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Edith_*
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 107716

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Edith_*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Sweetjane! Welcome to Scarleteen! [Smile]

Sperm cells are very delicate and need their fluids (semen) to keep them alive. When we talk about "laws of gravity" we mean that semen can not magically jump into a vagina and end up in the cervix.

One function of the penis is to go inside the vagina and then ejaculate (still inside) so the sperm can take it from there, where there are enough fluids to keep them alive and swim until they find the ovum, if there is one.

Does this help? [Smile]

--------------------
"Whatever you do will be insignificant, but it's very important that you do it " (...'cause no one else will) -Gandhi-

Posts: 420 | From: Somewhere over the rainbow* | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Edith_*
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 107716

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Edith_*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe this article can also be helpful:

Who's Afraid of Sperm Cells?

--------------------
"Whatever you do will be insignificant, but it's very important that you do it " (...'cause no one else will) -Gandhi-

Posts: 420 | From: Somewhere over the rainbow* | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sweetjane11
Neophyte
Member # 109157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sweetjane11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you so much Edith, this does really help a lot, makes sense!

So, just to ease my anxious mind, a vulva touching a spot of semen by itself cannot create a pregnancy. Correct?

Thanks again! I dig this site.

Posts: 13 | From: California | Registered: Dec 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Edith_*
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 107716

Again, sperm cells are very delicate and they need a very special enviroment to keep them alive. If you are asking about touching a spot of semen that was on the bedsheets, then the answer is NO. [Smile]

--------------------

sweetjane11
Neophyte
Member # 109157

That's what I meant, yay!
Thank you again, I feel much better.

--------------------
--

Edith_*
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 107716

You're welcome! [Smile]

--------------------

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.