Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » A silly story and a few questions

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: A silly story and a few questions
poppyskyy
Neophyte
Member # 97771

Icon 5 posted      Profile for poppyskyy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi everyone,

Given the fact that I am not an active user in these Message Boards, I feel the need to introduce myself. I am Poppy. I'm 22 years old and I am technically not "sexually active" - yet...

First, I'd like to explain why I say I consider I am not sexually active. I have never had intercourse. Only "outercourse" and only twice.

I have read the articles suggested by you guys in the disclaimer topic you post.

"Outercourse" (genital rubbing, sex play, oral sex, etc) itself presents a low to moderate pregnancy risk according to the web pages I've made research on. So parting from that, this is my story:

A week ago, I spent time with a man I am going out with, things got out of control and I ended up with him in, well.. Bed. However, there was no intercourse because I really made it clear that I didn't want that. Nonetheless, we went on with the genital rubbing thing. He responsibly put a condom on before and we carried on.

What really scared me was the following: I was only three days away of starting my fertile period ( I was just about to start ovulating!). I completely forgot about that, and when I checked my chart that night, it was all done.

It is clear to me that when there is a latex barrier, clothing or something similar, between a penis and a vagina chances of pregnancy reduce significantly, especially when there's no ejaculation around a vulva or inside a vagina.

Since I totally panicked, I decided to take an EC pill the next day, within the 24 hr period. I commented this to my best friend and my sister and they both yelled: "Are you crazy? A woman with polycystic ovarian syndrome , who is still technically a virgin is NOT supposed to take any Contraception Pills! You'll stay infertile."

I shot back at them that I took it because of panic and because even if he took care, I decided to take my own measures, just to cut off any pregnancy risk even more. Because I am truly scared of getting prego lol.
I honestly I don't see it as terrible as they did even though I know EC's are not a thing to take very lightly. Plus, it's the first (and hopefully last in many years to come) that I take that pill.

EC pills can present many side effects, including irregular bleeding or spotting. For the sake of being practical and to ease my mind a little, I have considered it the start of my period. Yet, I'm still on my fertile week. Supposedly I am ovulating.

Now my questions are:

Could there be any possibility of EC pills actually affecting a woman's fertility in the future even if taken only once?

Has the EC pill altered my menstrual cycle? Or should I just consider the irregular bleeding exclusively part of the side effects?

I don't understand why I've got fear of getting pregnant when practically all the odds seem to be against that possibility (well, we may never know). I guess it's because in the back of my mind, I've learned that male/female genitals should not be around each other or else.. Pregnancy (or what's worse STIs) could come along.

Honestly, I find it weird how many women have unprotected sex (PCOS and non PCOS women) and don't seem to get so scared of getting pregnant like I do.

I am sorry for the long post. I know you get this all the time. But I don't know what to do anymore. I've heard so many opinions... I am trying to not go crazy (if I'm not crazy already) [Razz]

If something is not clear, please let me know, I'll gladly explain. [Frown] :$

Posts: 6 | Registered: Oct 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Molias
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 101745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Molias     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here are some articles about EC that will answer most of these questions, especially about the bleeding you're experiencing:
10 Common Myths, Misunderstandings and Big Ol' Lies About Emergency Contraception

Emergency Contraception (Plan B or the Morning-After-Pill)

How are you charting your cycle in order to determine when you're ovulating? There are some apps/menstrual calendars that claim they can tell you when you ovulate based on dates of periods only, but unless you're also charting your cervical mucus and basal temperature, you don't have enough data to actually know when you ovulate.

Because you mention a fear of genitals being together meaning pregnancy no matter what, I think this article might be helpful; it goes over what is and isn't a pregnancy risk pretty clearly: Can I Get Pregnant, or Get or Pass On an STI From That?

In terms of what you should do/avoid specifically with your PCOS in mind, your doctor would be a good person to ask about that.

Posts: 1316 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.