Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » Please help!! Need emergency contraception!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Please help!! Need emergency contraception!
Afusa
Neophyte
Member # 108647

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Afusa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi I am on a trip with my husband to the Middle East and we had an accident on Thursday night. I immediately need emergency contraception but this is illegal here! I panicked and took something called Primolut which is supposed to induce your period. I took 3 on Friday night and 3 more this afternoon (Saturday). I feel a bit crampy but no period. I've just found out from another discussion here that I can take Marvelon as an Ecp and this is available here. Can I take it after I've already taken 6 tablets of Primolut? I'm really scared and can not afford to get pregnant now. There is nobody here that I can talk to. Please help me.
Posts: 7 | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Afusa and welcome to Scarleteen,

Marvelon is marketed as a daily contraceptive. Some daily birth control pills can be used as emergency contraceptives. Can you please include the link to the discussion here where it was discussed that marvelon can be used this way?

We are not medical professionals here so really are not qualified to advise you about whether what you want to do is safe.

When you say you and your husband had an accident, I think you mean that you had a birth control failure.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Afusa
Neophyte
Member # 108647

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Afusa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is the link to what I read about Marvelon. Unfortunately, when I saw this I had already taken Primolut. So confused now as to whether I can still take Marvelon. I really appreciate your reply.
http://www.scarleteen.com/forum/ultimatebb.php?/ubb/get_topic/f/28/t/007029.html

Posts: 7 | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Afusa,

Okay. I just wanted to make sure we were on the same page regarding the Marvelon.

I'm really not comfortable advising you as to whether it's safe to take Marvelon after having taken Primolut.

What I'd suggest is finding medically accurate information on both medications and looking at which medications are contra-indicated for both.

While I don't think there would be life-threatening consequences to taking both, I just couldn't tell you with confidence that there wouldn't be, particularly as I'm not a medical professional who can evaluate your health history.

Are there any sexual health clinics where you are? Having a copper IUD fitted is also an option for emergency contraception if it's done within seven days of the sexual activity that posed the pregnancy risk.

Would it be helpful for you to fill me in on what birth control method you were using and how it failed?

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Afusa
Neophyte
Member # 108647

Thanks so much Robin. It really is a relief having someone to talk to.
I checked the contra indications for both and neither mentions the other. I'm guessing that this means it is safe to take the two together and that they won't interfere with each other's function. I understand your hesitation to tell me what to do here as I know this is a huge liability for you. I have, however, decided to take the Marvelon as well completely of my own volition.
Laws are very strict here and we are afraid of going and asking for emergency contraception at any clinic, especially as we are not familiar with the place. An IUD would be very expensive; our insurance does not cover us here and we do not have access to that kind of cash at the moment.
This is really embarrassing as I know it was negligent on our part but we had run out of condoms and decided that my husband would pull out but he ejaculated suddenly and did not get a chance to pull out. I went off Meliane in June and have not substituted it with another pill yet.

Afusa
Neophyte
Member # 108647

Also, we are heading to the UK on the 16th, but I am guessing by then it will be too late to take any form of emergency contraception?
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You know, Primolut is a progestin-only medication with five times that hormone that Plan B has, and if often prescribed to use for days longer than Plan B. In other words, if effectively does what Plan B does, and at a much higher dose, no less, even thought it's not designed to be a MAP. I strongly suspect it is often given for that use in areas where actually using it that way, or medications expressly designed to be contraceptives isn't lawful or socially acceptable.

By all means, plan B four days from now would not be able to do anything. But again, the Primolut probably already did what it would have done in the first place.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Afusa
Neophyte
Member # 108647

Oh wow, I had no idea. I thought it was supposed to bring on my period and since it hasn't, I assumed it didn't 'work'. So do you recommend that I not take the Marvelon? Would it negate the effect of the Primolut? God, I'm so sorry to be bombarding you guys with all these questions. Thanks for being so patient!
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think at this point -- though it's really a healthcare provider you should check this with -- you have already taken a LOT of hormones, and at this point, I'd stop taking medicines. Especially any not prescribed to you, or taken in the ways and dosages at which they were prescribed.

Rather, I'd figure you did what you could do safely at this point, continue taking anything prescribed to you only AS prescribed, and see what happens. If you do wind up becoming pregnant and do not want to remain pregnant, we can help you find termination options if you like. But it sounds to me like at this point, you have probably done all you can safely and healthfully do.

If you disagree there, then again, I would ONLY take anything else under the supervision of a healthcare provider. Making yourself sick in other ways just isn't going to help you here.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

FYI, wherever you are a resident -- like if that's the UK -- you could call/contact a healthcare provider there, or check in with your country's embassy where you are now, for further help with this.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

Heather
Member # 3

Also another FYI: while it seems that in developing nations, there is high demand for Primolut as a contraceptive, pre- or post-cotally, as of yet, there aren't studies which can actually tell us anything about its efficacy.

Here's a report on one such study about the demand for this use here: http://www.unboundmedicine.com/medline/citation/21987939/A_study_of_the_use_of_Primolut_N_tablet_as_a_contraceptive_in_the_Kumasi_metropolis_of_Ghana_

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

Afusa
Neophyte
Member # 108647

Oh god, this is scary. I wish I could see a doctor. Unfortunately the embassies here are all shut as it is Eid holiday. We called our doctor back home but she feels it would be inappropriate for her to give me advice on this. I know you don't recommend this but I think I will take the Marvelon in a few hours as I am not convinced about the efficacy of Primolut. It may be unpleasant but I think it is a better option for me than a termination. Again, thank you guys so much for all your help. What you are doing here is amazing.
Heather
Member # 3

Again, because your long and short term health matters, I would strongly advise seeking out information from a medial professional before taking any other medications, or any others not as prescribed to you.

But obviously, these are also your choices to take from here, and all we can do is voice our opinions as you ask for them.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

Afusa
Neophyte
Member # 108647

Thanks so much. I'm a bit torn here but, as you say, getting sick is not going to help matters. Especially since if I do, I will have a tough time seeking medical attention here. I have not taken the Marvelon yet and am still debating what to do. Thank you guys again for your patience and advice, you have been extremely helpful. I will post back about what happened in case it can be of use to other readers.
Heather
Member # 3

Am I getting right you normally live in the UK? If so, how about calling the Brook hotline if you want to try another route to get medical advice with this?

That number is: 0808 802 1234

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.