Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » Help - BC + Antibiotics + Plan B?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Help - BC + Antibiotics + Plan B?
anonymous229
Neophyte
Member # 108616

Icon 1 posted      Profile for anonymous229     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm currently on Yaz BC and also taking antibiotics (minocycline) for acne. I take the BC every day at the exact same time, haven't missed a day this month. We also always use condoms to be safe. After sex, we run the condom under the faucet to make sure water doesn't leak out, just for peace of mind. When we did this, a drop of water fell from the bottom of it. My bf didn't think it was a big deal (that somehow water had gotten on the exterior), but I think it could have been a potential hole. Now (1.5 days later) I'm getting paranoid. Is this worth being concerned about? Would the BC be enough, even with the antibiotics effecting them? I am considering taking Plan B just to be safe.

I'd appreciate an answer ASAP.

Posts: 2 | From: North America | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Molias
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 101745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Molias     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First off, you definitely don't need to check condoms for holes like this - when condoms fail, it's going to be easy to notice, like a tear in a balloon. The idea that condoms have tiny pinprick holes in them is just not true. So I'd suggest ditching the water balloon test after sex, if for no other reason than it probably gets pretty messy.

If you're using your birth control pill properly, there's really nothing for Plan B to do. I don't know if that particular antibiotic lessens the effectiveness of your pill, but you can always check with your doctor or pharmacist to find out.

Posts: 1352 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anonymous229
Neophyte
Member # 108616

Icon 1 posted      Profile for anonymous229     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for the response. I have heard mixed things about the effect of this antibiotic on BC. The doctor who prescribed them to me said the effect was negligible, but almost every result when I google it says that it can interfere with BC. Not sure what to think.

So would you say that I'm most likely fine?

Posts: 2 | From: North America | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Molias
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 101745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Molias     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd certainly trust your doctor over something you find through a google search, unless you're looking at actual medical data from a trustworthy source vs. anecdotal evidence online. If you're still concerned you could ask your doctor if they can give you more detail on what "negligible" effect means in terms of real-world data, if they have access to any.

But even if the medication did impact your pill's effectiveness, that doesn't mean it would be completely ineffective, plus you were also using a condom (that again, showed no signs of breaking). So that's two forms of birth control right there. Your chances of becoming pregnant are still extremely small here.

Posts: 1352 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.