Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » Loose bowel movement and BC pill

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Loose bowel movement and BC pill
stayclassy812
Activist
Member # 100896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stayclassy812     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just started my first active pill of this cycle and took my pill this morning @ 714 am. Tonight at 130 am, I was feeling really cold and ill and so had a really loose bowel movement, not liquidy, just super loose. It only happened once, so if it was just this one situation and does not repeat itself, would I still consider the effectiveness of my pill compromised? Does this one really loose bowel movement affect the effectiveness of my pill, warranting need for backup?
Posts: 81 | Registered: Dec 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, it should not. Diarrhea can, but that term generally is used to describe a pattern of loose stools, not one loose stool.

That said, we generally advise using a backup method of BC -- using dual contraception, two methods, not just one -- for our users. That's the contraceptive approach that's most highly effective, that way you won't even have to concern yourself with things like this, and when that backup is a condom, it provides important STI protection no other method can provide.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About MeGet our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67053 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stayclassy812
Activist
Member # 100896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stayclassy812     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Despite my missed pill mishap last cycle and this on top of it, I can still count on my effectiveness as long as I take my pills on time? From my understanding, the really loose bowel movement last night doesnt impair my effectiveness.

I use dual backup although if my pills "fail", I like to use another pairing with condoms.

Posts: 81 | Registered: Dec 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you already use a backup, then you're already covered, regardless.

But again, no, one loose stool is not something I know to be associated with decreased effectiveness of the pill. And we've already talked about your last cycle of pills and it's lack of impact on this cycle.

--------------------
About MeGet our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67053 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stayclassy812
Activist
Member # 100896

I always use dual backup because Im not comfortable with just depending on one, even if it is condoms, so if I dont pair it with my pills (if through some reason, it isn't fully effective), then I pair condoms with withdrawal. We're both really careful with that pairing.

So, like you told me before, as long as I take my pills on time and every day, then I can count on full effectiveness of my pills? Only when the loose stools occur more than once and over the course of a few days does it impact my effectiveness, one loose stool doesnt, the severity of it doesn't matter? I know it was more than twelve hours since I took the pill, around eighteen hours!!

Heather
Member # 3

Once more, I do not know of anything that suggests one loose stool will impact a pills effectiveness. Diarrhea -- a pattern of loose stools -- is something where the literature makes clear there could be an impact, and where a backup is suggested.

And once more, so long as you take your pills as directed, you should be able to have the full effectiveness of your pill.

--------------------
About MeGet our book!

stayclassy812
Activist
Member # 100896

Ok, thank you so much for your help.

I know its Christmas day and I really do appreciate you and all of the other individuals hard work and dedication. For you to be helping others out here on Christmas day, is really something. So thank you again, your hard work is so appreciated.

Heather
Member # 3

Oh, you're absolutely welcome. [Smile]

We know how few services are open during the holidays, so always try to do our best to have someone here during that time.

--------------------
About MeGet our book!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.