Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » early bleeding while on the pill

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: early bleeding while on the pill
dancedancedance
Neophyte
Member # 101087

Icon 9 posted      Profile for dancedancedance     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, I read all of the pregnancy scare articles so I really do apologize if what I'm about to say has already been mentioned, I know how annoying that must be. Okay so I've been taking the birth control pill for a little over a year and a half now. I am so consistent with taking the pill at the same time everyday. I've only ever taken it late once and have never ever missed a day. EVER. I took my first brand for about 8 months before I started to bleed for two consecutive weeks and was then switched to a different brand. Since starting the new brand, my period has never consistently come on a certain day. Sometimes it's right when I take the first sugar pill, for awhile it was 2 or 3 days after, and for the past two months it has been before the first sugar pill. This month it was 4 days before the sugar pill. Of course I jumped to the internet because I rely way too heavily on it and started to read about breakthrough bleeding. Since I have been on this brand for longer than 3 months, the typical adjustment period, I know this can't be normal. I've also had cramps these past few days of early bleeding and have been bloated. Today marks the first sugar pill day and I am still bleeding, although the cramps are gone. I'm in the midst of finals and have been stressed so idk if this could have anything to do with it? I've had sex with my boyfriend a few times since my last period. We use a condom all the time but the last time we were a little intoxicated and it slipped off, although it was before he came. Okay that was a ton of info but I just wanted to make sure you knew the exact scenario. I guess i'm just wondering if this breakthrough bleeding points toward a sign that maybe this isn't the right birth control for me and if that means that it is less protective and there could be a chance that I am pregnant. Is there?
Posts: 4 | From: Chicago | Registered: Dec 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
HI dancedancedance and welcome to Scarleteen,

I'll put your mind at ease right away. [Smile] Side effects from the pill are not an indication that it isn't working as contraception. Side effects are just that, side, or incidental, effects of the way something interacts with an individual's unique body.

Also, while the typical adjustment period to birth control is generally stated as three months, that doesn't mean that an individual's body will be adjusted to it by that point.

Stress can absolutely play a factor in this too. There are many, many hormones in our bodies that the pill doesn't control, that still have an impact on our reproductive organs.

Have you experienced any bleeding at other times during the month?

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dancedancedance
Neophyte
Member # 101087

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dancedancedance     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The only times that I can think of are right before I'm supposed to get my period. Last month I think it was only 2 days before my first sugar pill and I can't remember the month before that
Posts: 4 | From: Chicago | Registered: Dec 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nodding...This doesn't sound like something to be too worried about unless it's inconvenient or uncomfortable for you.

You could give your doctor's office or clinic a call and ask to speak to someone (there's usually a nurse or other medical person who can speak to patients on the phone) to get their opinion on whether this is a point of concern.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dancedancedance
Neophyte
Member # 101087

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dancedancedance     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
so you don't think there's a chance i could be pregnant?
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

I think that what you're describing doesn't sound like pregnancy, but the only way to know whether anyone is pregnant or not is for that person to take a pregnancy test

So, if you're feeling uncertain of whether your birth control has done its job, a pregnancy test would be the way to find out for sure.

--------------------
Robin

dancedancedance
Neophyte
Member # 101087

okay thank you so much
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

You're most welcome. [Smile]

--------------------
Robin

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.