Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » Spotting (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Spotting
copper86
Peer Ambassador
Member # 95710

Icon 1 posted      Profile for copper86     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you so much for your always-helpful and knowledgeable response, Heather. I can sleep better now. [Smile]

--------------------
"I do the best that I can. I'm just what I am." - Rush (Best I Can)

Posts: 692 | From: Canada | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
copper86
Peer Ambassador
Member # 95710

Icon 1 posted      Profile for copper86     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have quite an elementary question, so please bear with me.

My bleeds with this pill are always 6-8 days long. When I chart my bleeds and take record of what my flow is like each day, I always count the first sign of blood as Day 1 of my bleed. Today, on the 8th day, I noticed a regular flow tonight. I'm now thinking I'm charting my bleeds wrong, or at least this one. I spotted or had brownish blood for the first two days of this month, and it was only the third day when my flow picked up from spotting to light and then regular. I guess my question is, does spotting actually count as Day 1 of one's bleed? It could have truly been some spotting before my actual early bleed.

I'm really embarrassed to ask these questions; but I do know there is a difference between spotting and a bleed. I've just started my placebo pills now. I just want to know so I can chart my bleeds with more efficiency. If my bleed continued longer than 8 days, is that a cause for concern? I'm exasperated with all of this! I know my body's not a machine and that my bleeds can vary month to month, but I'm pretty confused about how it's working right now!

[ 08-22-2012, 07:24 PM: Message edited by: copper86 ]

--------------------

Posts: 692 | From: Canada | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For a lot of people, if not most, periods or withdrawal bleeds tend to start with light spotting or flow and get heavier, then taper off.

Can I ask what you're looking for in charting? I ask because usually charting is something people use who are not using hormonal contraceptives.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About MeGet our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68080 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
copper86
Peer Ambassador
Member # 95710

Ever since I had a pregnancy scare about a year and a bit ago, I started keeping track of my cycles and all sexual activities for peace of mind and to see what was "regular" for me. My concern is that I've been bleeding for 9 days but spotting for 2 days of the 9. That doesn't usually happen, but I know my body is not a machine! [Smile]

[ 08-23-2012, 01:40 PM: Message edited by: copper86 ]

--------------------

Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
With that long of a bleed, I'd actually expect some of it to be light. If it wasn't, and that amount of time for flow wasn't typical for you, I'd personally suggest a healthcare check-in.

--------------------
About MeGet our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68080 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
copper86
Peer Ambassador
Member # 95710

An 8-day bleed is typical; 9 days with spotting and brown blood for the first 2 is not. That is why I thought I was charting incorrectly.

--------------------

Heather
Member # 3

A one-day variance in flow or cycles is so common for most people plenty of the time, I'd personally think nothing of it.

--------------------
About MeGet our book!

copper86
Peer Ambassador
Member # 95710

Thank you so much! I'm just scared I won't stop bleeding, but that has never occurred and I know that's unlikely. My flow was light this morning so I'll see how I'm doing later on.

--------------------

copper86
Peer Ambassador
Member # 95710

My flow is light I would say and mixed wirh discharge. I was wondering: how long would a bleed have to last in order for it to be classified as a health concern? I know a two-week one is not safe... I just want to make sure.

I apologize for repeating this, but I've been doing a lot of research and would really like an input on this: does spotting count as Day 1 of one's cycle; or does bright red blood or a full day of flow count as Day 1? I've seen all 3 answers, and don't want to browse Yahoo Answers as I know that's merely opinion-based. A fertility site that seemed credible stated that Day 1 was the first day of red flow - not spotting.

--------------------

Heather
Member # 3

Really, I'd say with charting, this is a simple preference, especially since you're not charting 9since you can't, on the pill) to find out when you're fertile.

So, either you decide, or maybe in your charting, just make a note as to what days are spotting, what's light flow, heavy flow, etc? Seriously, you're not trying to get a certificate with this, these are just your own notes for yourself.

In terms of when to call a healthcare provider with vaginal bleeding, I'd say that if you ever notice something radically different with it -- not a teeny bit, radically, like weeks of bleeding instead of around one, or way heavier flow than usual, way more pain, etc. -- then put a call in. Otherwise, if you're on top of your basic preventative reproductive healthcare and stay on top of it, you should be fine.

--------------------
About MeGet our book!

copper86
Peer Ambassador
Member # 95710

Thank you so much. It's just that I never have spotting like this - or if I do, it doesn't happen often or a heavy flow follows the same day or so. I spoke to my mother and she said that sometimes, when she was on the pill, she would spot for a day or two and then bleed for a week or so; which made me feel like less of an abnormality. I'm happy that I can finally discuss these things with her. As you can plainly see, any kind of different change with my bleed and I get a bit edgy. My flow still seems light so I'm expecting I'll still bleed tomorrow. I'm a little less worried about it. Thank you so much for answering my questions!

--------------------

copper86
Peer Ambassador
Member # 95710

It looks like my flow is regular again, and I think I have cramps (or it could just be fatigue). I honestly have no idea what is going on with my body. I hate this so much. My mom can make me an appointment but our doctor's office is closed on Friday till Monday and the thought of me waiting that long terrifies me.

Has anyone ever heard of breakthrough bleeding for 4 or 5 days and then a full-out period? It's only my third day into my placebo week. I don't know if I'll bleed until I start my active pills again or not. I'm scared I'll never stop. I feel like taking more pregnancy tests but at 14 days I tested and it was negative. I'm not sure if this is just my pills or a hormonal imbalance... But I'm just so scared and feel like a freak. If anyone has any advice or experience with longer bleeds, please help me. Thank you!

--------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.