Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » Small flakes in urine

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Small flakes in urine
Stereohearts
Activist
Member # 81863

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stereohearts         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry if this sounds totally gross but recently when I urinated, I noticed some off white/very very light brown flakes drifting to the bottom of the toilet bowl. There was quite a few of them but very small & afterwards when I urinated again, there was a little ball of white discharge! Is this normal? Could it just be normal vaginal discharge or indicative of something else! I havent been having any other symptoms aside from this, no pain when I urinate or anything! I'm on the birth control pill and I have been for a while, would this affect it at all, should I use backup protection or is this just a case of normal vaginal discharge?
Posts: 57 | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Issues with your urinary tract or vaginal discharge don't have any effect on your birth control pill. Unfortunately, we're not doctors and couldn't diagnose you over the internet anyway, so I'd say if it happens again it wouldn't hurt to check in with your healthcare provider.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5652 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stereohearts
Activist
Member # 81863

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stereohearts         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you! I talked to my nurse & she said that it could just be leftover vaginal discharge & since there are no other symptoms, to just monitor it for now & drink lots of water!! She said the same thing about the birth control!

On a side note though, I have a question about spotting while on the pill. Sometimes theres some very very mild spotting that goes on, like maybe one drop thats it but it would happen maybe once a cycle! It doesnt bother me at all but Ive been told that its a side effect of the pill. It doesnt mean my effectiveness is compromised does it?

Posts: 57 | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nope, side effects don't indicate anything about effectiveness, so you're all good.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5652 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stereohearts
Activist
Member # 81863

Ok thank you! is spotting a common side effect for hormonal birth control?
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

It's fairly common, yep, and more likely if you've just recently (within the last few months) started taking the pill, although it can happen any time.

--------------------

Stereohearts
Activist
Member # 81863

I was wondering if this anything out of the ordinary! I had sex with my boyfriend yesterday although the condom broke a little right at the start of ejaculation and he noticed and pulled out immediately, there was a small amount of sperm that came out though.

Today, while urinating, I wiped and noticed a small dot of brown blood, it was kind of hard, not liquid. The next time I urinated afterwards, there was another hard dot, although it was bright red. I know spotting is common with the pill and was told that many times and it is a side effect of birth control pills although its still slightly unnerving. I've never had my withdrawal bleed come during my active pills, just very very slight amounts of blood like this. A few times, not all, occur after sex so it could just be from abrasions.

I wanted to double check though and make sure, this isnt anything out of the ordinary and cause for back up protection or a switch in pills?I've been on this pill since last year and am very comfortable with it and since this spotting isnt major in any way, if the spotting doesnt affect the effectiveness of my pill, I wouldnt want to switch. I take my pills every day at the same exact time, haven't missed one, vomited any, or had any case of diarrhea. Should I take plan B for the condom break or am I all good?

Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HI There,

No, spotting is not an indication that your pill isn't working. This sounds like it is either spotting, or, as you suggested, from slight abbrasions from intercourse.

There's no reason to think that your pill isn't doing it's job, so Plan B is not necessary here.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stereohearts
Activist
Member # 81863

thanks so much for the reassurance! this has been happening over the past few cycles, super duper slight spotting, one dot and thats it, no continuous bleeding, just a random tiny dot here & there, like the stuff I mentioned in the last post!

I'm not sure if I should switch pills because its either spotting or an abrasion but as you said, spotting isnt an indication the my pill isnt working, so a switch wouldn't really be worth all the unnecessary hassle of new side effects from a new pill would it if this pill is working perfectly fine?

Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If the spotting isn't bothering you, then it doesn't sound like there's a reason for you to change. If the spotting does bother you, you can certainly have a chat about it with your health care provider.

It's really about what you're comfortable with.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stereohearts
Activist
Member # 81863

Oh ok thank you, this is fairly normal then, the spotting?

Thank you for your help! I think I'll stick with this pill [Smile]

Robin Lee
Member # 90293

absolutely typical. It goes away after a while for many people, but many others just find that spotting is part of taking the pill for them.

You can certainly mention it to your health care provider when you have your next check-up, but it's nothing to worry about or see someone about right away.

...and, you're most welcome.

--------------------
Robin

Stereohearts
Activist
Member # 81863

Even though Ive been on it for a while, its ok to just have it start up like this? I never had spotting when I started the pill!

I got in touch with my OBGYN nurse & she said the same thing, that its fairly common and just a side effect! [Smile]

Thank you for talking me through this, its such a great help!!

Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Side effects can start at any time, although they're often most noticeable during the first few months. So there's nothing out of the ordinary here.

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.