Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » Diarrhea and bc pill

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Diarrhea and bc pill
anael1238
Activist
Member # 94117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for anael1238     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know diarrhea has an effect on the pill and lately I've been having diarrhea first thing in the morning. I take my pill between 6:00-6:30 am. The bouts of diarrhea would be ugly before I take my pill and so would be twenty four hours since I took the PREVIOUS pill. This only happened for the past three days. Does this impact it at all? It's never happened less than twenty four hours after my taking a pill, only right before.
Posts: 99 | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, you've been having loose stools for how many days now?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anael1238
Activist
Member # 94117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for anael1238     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Around three days but only once a day right in the morning when I wake up, throughout the day when I would have a bowel movement, it would be regular
Posts: 99 | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anael1238
Activist
Member # 94117

Oh my gosh, I meant *right* not ugly, sorry spell check! Right before I take my pill
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Personally, I'd suggest backing up your pill with a second method while this is going on.

I'd also suggest seeing your healthcare provider if you can, especially if over the counter medications for diarrhea aren't helping with this.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anael1238
Activist
Member # 94117

it hasn't been severe, only slightly loose stools. This happened for the past two days. Do you think my pill has been affected because I've had a case where the condom broke and im relying on it. I didn't think the diarrhea was such a huge concern because the bouts of loose stool only happened twenty four hora after I took a pill and only once a day. the rest of the time it would be regular and not loose at all. it hasn't been happening for a number of days straight in a row, only now and then
Heather
Member # 3

I'm sorry, I'm confused. I'd thought you'd said this has happened for the last three days consistently?

If it has, once more, I'd give the same advice, but of course, you can always double-check with a healthcare provider for a second opinion. You could even just call your pharmacist.

I can't say what, if any impact this may have had on your pill. I can only say that several days of diarrhea in a row could impact its effectiveness, and if it's been daily, I'm not sure how much the timing of when you have taken your pill matters.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

anael1238
Activist
Member # 94117

Sorry I thought about it and no it hasn't been three days consistently! only today and yesterday right before I took my pill
Heather
Member # 3

So, once more, I'd back up while this is going on, and if it keeps up, and over-the-counter remedies don't help with the loose stools, I'd check in with your healthcare provider about it.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

anael1238
Activist
Member # 94117

should i take plan b?
Heather
Member # 3

The issue here would be that your digestive system is a mess and might not be digesting your pill properly, which would be the same, if that's happening, with any medication. So, I don't think Plan B would do anything your pill itself couldn't do, and if your pill isn't being digested properly, Plan B won't be either.

So, instead, I would simply back up from here on out while this is going on.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

anael1238
Activist
Member # 94117

I talked to my pharmacist who prescribed the pill for me and he said that since its been twenty four hours since I took each pill, my effectiveness isn't compromised. Its been digested.

Could it be something I ate that could cause this diarrhea? Because its only happening in the morning. The past two days I've been drinking this taro drink and on those days, this would occur. The diarrhea isn't severe and lasting all day and I can keep my food down so Im thinking if it is my digestive system.

I'm sorry Im just freaking out and trying to think things through. Would this impact prior events?? the condom broke last week tuesday and thats what Im really worried about. yesterday we didn't use a condom but used the withdrawal method.

Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When figuring out what's going on with our bodies, it often is a process of elimination.

If cutting the drink helps, that's great. If the loose stools continue, and are bothering you, I'd suggest seeing your health care provider.

I'm also wondering if, since you're feeling so anxious about whether your pill is effective right now, it might ease your anxiety to not eengage in the types of sex that can lead to pregnancy until you feel like you have a handle on what's going on.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anael1238
Activist
Member # 94117

I've been reading on past posts and Ive read that diarrhea only affects the pill if it happens closely to when one took the pill or when its severe like everything is running through the body.

I dont think what I have constitutes as severe diarrhea, only looser stools in the morning, not totally liquid and Im not sick to my stomach. I will use a backup method although Im not sure if what Im having is having an impact on my pills because Im getting different information.

Heather
Member # 3

Here's the thing: diarrhea is a pattern, three days or more is the general rule, of ongoing loose stools.

So, when someone says they have diarrhea, this is what I presume they mean. A loose stool now and then is not the same thing.

As pill information packets explain, IF someone HAS diarrhea, specifically, they should back up their pill, as that may impact pill effectiveness. And "may" is the best anyone can do.

So, you have our suggestions and that of your pharmacist. Now the choice to back up or not from here on out needs to be yours, and is up to you.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

anael1238
Activist
Member # 94117

So would loose, slightly liquid stool in the morning count as diarrhea?

I will back up from now on, Im more concerned about prior events. The condom broke last week, would I still be covered on that front if this event is going on now and since I didnt use a condom last night but used withdrawal method, would Plan B not help at all?

Heather
Member # 3

For one morning? Not my most medical definitions, no.

http://medical-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/diarrhea

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/diarrhea/DS00292

And I would not be concerned about a condom break a week ago in regard to this, no.

Plan B is LESS effective than your pill, if it is working, and -- I really need to have this be the last time I say this -- if your pill is not working because of loose stools, Plan B won't either.

Withdrawal would count as a backup method. used properly, it is estimated to be nearly as effective as condoms: it's only in typical use the effectiveness of those two backup methods varies.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

anael1238
Activist
Member # 94117

Just so that I make sure I understand for future reference, even if my one loose bowel movement happened 24 hours after taking my pill, since it happened yesterday morning as well, making it two days in a row, it could impact the effectiveness no matter the timing? Even if it was just once a day, with the rest of the bowel movements being regular? Loose slightly liquid stools pose a a concern when it occurs more than one day?

Ok got it, thank you!! I'll definitely back up.

anael1238
Activist
Member # 94117

http://www.scarleteen.com/forum/ultimatebb.php?/ubb/get_topic/f/27/t/026659.html

since the situation is almost exactly alike, could the advice apply to me as well?

I really don't mean to be difficult or argue your advice because I truly appreciate your help and dont want to come off as being ungrateful or difficult. Im just trying to make a sound informed decision and figure out my risk from the past few days! It would be awesome if my pill hasnt been affected by this although I know I can never really figure that out for sure.

Heather
Member # 3

Really, I'm sticking with what I have already said here, and advising you consider that and what your pharmacist told you to make your choices.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

anael1238
Activist
Member # 94117

On my first active pill of the next pack, would I be completely covered again or should I backup? I have four more active pills for this cycle.
Heather
Member # 3

After this response, I need to walk away from this discussion.

Like I said, if the loose stools continue, I would suggest using a backup so long as they do. I personally would also suggest using a backup method you feel good about and safe with for at least a few days after it stops. But also, given your history with pregnancy concerns, it seems to me that using dual contraception -- always using two methods -- seems like your best bet, period.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

anael1238
Activist
Member # 94117

I'm asking if this event, if it did impact my pill, would the effect carry on to the next cycle. If its stopped before I start my next cycle, how far along do I use backup in the new cycle.
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Using backup is always a choice you have. It's something a lot of pill users do regardless of whether they feel their pill has been compromised.

As Heather said above, her recommendation is that you use back-up contraception until things are resolved with your digestive system then for a few days afterwards. I don't know for sure, but I suspect that her recommendation holds regardless of where in your cycle you are.

Just as an FYI though, a new cycle of pills is not affected by what happened in the previous cycle, so long as you start the new pack right after finishing the old one.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anael1238
Activist
Member # 94117

Wednesday was the last time I had this problem and I backed up for a few days afterward until Sunday, the last day of my active pills, so for the rest of my cycle. I received my withdrawal bleed the same day I usually do and I start my active pills again this coming Monday. Am I back up at regular effectiveness the first day I start my new cycle since a new cycle of pills isn't affected?
Onionpie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 41699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Onionpie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi anael1238. Since you got your withdrawal bleed and have started a new cycle, effectiveness should be back to normal now. It can always be a good idea to back up our primary birth control method with a secondary one, so if you'd just feel more comfortable with that and avoid any further risks with missed pills/sickness making pills potentially ineffective, that's always a good route to go [Smile]
Posts: 1311 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anael1238
Activist
Member # 94117

Hello! I havent started yet, I start on monday [Smile] I should be all good the first day I start back up on my active pills?

Ok thank you ^_^ I just wanna make sure I can rely on my bc pills when I pair it with condoms.

Onionpie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 41699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Onionpie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey anael1238. Here's more information about pairing birth control methods:
The Buddy System: Effectiveness Rates for Backing Up Your Birth Control With a Second Method

As you will see, pairing the pill with condoms is very effective [Big Grin]

Posts: 1311 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anael1238
Activist
Member # 94117

So my effectiveness won't be affected by the mishap this cycle when I start a new cycle on Monday?
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

As we've talked about before, the new cycle of pills, provided you start it on time, is not affected by anything in the previous cycle.

--------------------
Robin

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.