Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » Withdrawal question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Withdrawal question
r5t6y7
Neophyte
Member # 95689

Icon 1 posted      Profile for r5t6y7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi there--first of all, thanks for having this as a resource. There are so many different sexual scenarios that young people face, and it's hard to decide some questions based on impersonal articles alone. So, thank you.

My question is--why is there so much conflicting information about the effectiveness of withdrawal? My boyfriend and I are meticulous about using condoms each and every time. But, yesterday was our one year anniversary and things became very intimate. He put his penis inside of me for a few minutes, and then took it out and put a condom on for the remainder of intercourse. Afterwards, we discussed what happened and I reassured him that since he withdrew effectively, and I was due for my period later that evening (I'm regular, just about 29-30 days between periods every month), we were almost totally safe.

However, just to double check myself, I went online this morning and was researching withdrawal and kept reading "yes there is sperm in pre cum" and then "no there isn't sperm in precum" and then "only if he's peed."

Can you clear this up? Was I right in telling him that we are pretty safe and that, according to the double-up chart on your website we are at about a 99.92% chance since it is pretty much withdrawal+fertility awareness?

Posts: 2 | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One big reason finding good info is hard is that we don't have the kinds of data to draw on with withdrawal that we do with things like pills or IUDs because those studies haven't been done.

That's the big why we have estimated rates for that method for perfect use, and studies only for typical, because we really only have data for typical use.

FAM is something that involves charting cervical fluids and/or basal temps, so if that's not what you do, I'd not factor that's something you used into this.

However, the estimated perfect use rate for withdrawal is currently 96% (on one year, same as for all methods effectiveness rates), and that accounts for pre-ejaculate fluid. It sounds like it was used perfectly -- your partner didn't ejaculate inside your body and withdrew well before he was near doing so -- so you can safely figure you had that estimated effectiveness rate for perfect use.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.