Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » Improper Use of Condom... Nervous

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Improper Use of Condom... Nervous
Activist
Member # 95903

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 98217509812347         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, I have a question about condoms. My girlfriend is on the pill, but she did forget to take the day we had sex. She took two the next day to make up for it. Also, I used a condom, but after i ejaculated inside the condom, we kept going for a couple more minutes. I now know that this isn't a good idea, and won't do it again. The condom didn't rip or break. But is there a legitimate chance of pregnancy here? Seeing as we did keep going a couple minutes after ejaculation and she missed her birth control pill that day?

P.S. She took a pregnancy test exactly 14 days (however, two days BEFORE her expected period) after this incident and it came up negative. Is it legitimate to question the accuracy of this test and the possibility of pregnancy based on the incident? Or am I just freaking myself out?

Posts: 70 | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The issue with what you did with the condom is that that makes the condom slipping off or breaking more likely to happen. But if that didn't happen, then what you did doesn't mean the condom was any less effective that time, just that it could cause it to fail another time if a break or slip did happen because of that improper use. Make sense?

So, she missed a pill, but made it up, so that was probably okay, but since your condom didn't fail, you can both be pretty sure a pregnancy did not happen. And with that negative test, you've got that verified.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Activist
Member # 95903

Ohhhhhhh ok, I didn't know that. So, just to make sure I understand this: what I did with the condom just makes it more likely for the condom to slip off or break, but because neither of those things happened, the condom still worked as it normally would at the 97% effectiveness rate?
Posts: 70 | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
98% actually, and yep.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Activist
Member # 95903

Ok that's where I was nervous. I read somewhere that if you stay with the same condom after ejaculation the semen will seep through the condom, even if it doesn't break or slip. It seemed like an unreliable source but it still made me nervous. So you would say that it's not true that this happens?
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Semen doesn't "seep through" condoms: they're designed to keep it in. Since it didn't slip off or break, as Heather said, you can consider that the condom was effective.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Activist
Member # 95903

I found out today that my girlfriend got her normal period for the second time, which makes it pretty clear to me that she's not pregnant. I just wanted to thank you for your time.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.