Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » took pill 3 hours late..never took pill late don't know what to do?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: took pill 3 hours late..never took pill late don't know what to do?
jeje23
Neophyte
Member # 95574

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jeje23     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ive been on the pill for years and this is the first time i didnt take it within 30 min. i took ut at 445pm yesterday and today i didnt take it til 810pm. what is the risk for pregnancy? i had sex on friday. do i need ec? how worried should i be about pregnancy? im not sure what constitutes a late or missed pill..how far off do you have to be to fall out of the perfect user category?

my pill packet says if i miss one pill take it as soon as possible. you do not need to use back up method.

however, what happens if you take a pill late and u had sex 2 days before? does a missed/late pill make you more likely to be pregnancy from previous intercourse?

i have been reading around on this site and i read that 3 hours is the maximum latest to take..what do i do?

[ 04-15-2012, 07:51 PM: Message edited by: jeje23 ]

Posts: 24 | From: USA | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do you use a combined pill (not a mini-pill)?

If so, you aren't late yet. Combined pills have a twelve-hour grace period before they're late.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeje23
Neophyte
Member # 95574

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jeje23     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yes it is a combined pill.

so taking it 3 hours late leaves me as perfect user still?

and one more follow up question, if you miss a pill should be concerned about past intercourse, future intercourse, or both?

Posts: 24 | From: USA | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Honestly "perfect" use is something that's about clinical trials rather than real people's lives in daily life.

Certainly, if you're taking your pill properly and this is the latest you have ever taken it, you're using your pill properly, better than many typical users, especially if we're talking about years of use.

If you do actually miss a pill, than intercourse in that pill cycle is what you'd be concerned with, and you'd want to be sure to back up with condoms for at least a week. And if you really, really want to avoid pregnancy, it's always better to use two methods instead of just one, so doubling your pill with condoms (better because that also gives you infection protection) or withdrawal, for instance, is ideal to best reduce the risk of pregnancy.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeje23
Neophyte
Member # 95574

so if a pill is missed..all intercourse in that pill pack is possible for a pregnancy risk..even the intercourse that happened before the missed pill? i feel like when talking about a missed pill people only mention using back up protection for the next 7 days which i take to mean for future intercourse. but i never hear anything about what to do about previous intercourse and a missed pill

sorry for the million questions, but i just havent taken the pill this late before so i am super worried about pregnancy

[ 04-15-2012, 09:10 PM: Message edited by: jeje23 ]

Heather
Member # 3

Okay, well, to be clear, any intercourse always poses a pregnancy risk, no matter how perfectly you take your pill, because the pill itself isn't 100% effective, even in lab "perfect" use. The issue isn't if there is a risk, but how big of one. using the pill even just typically reduces that risk very considerably: around 92%.

If you miss a pill, you'll need to make it up with an extra pill. If you do that, one missed pill in a cycle will not make a big difference in your effectiveness. One could back up with Plan B in that case, but honestly, it wouldn't do much more than making up that pill already is.

Like I said, I'd not be concerned here with just a three hour difference, because it really wasn't a late pill. The combined pill has that 12-hour grace period.

But it sounds like pregnancy is a big concern for you, so my best advice, no matter how to take your pill, is to double up no matter what, like by adding condoms. Then, too if and when you *do* take a pill late, you'll already have had extra protection.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

jeje23
Neophyte
Member # 95574

i also do use condoms, but for whatever reason i just feel they will like leak from the base? my boyfriend and i keep going for a minute or so after he ejaculates but hes always hard when he pulls out and says i have nothing to worry about but sometimes i just feel iffy about the condoms

so i heavily rely on my bcp for peace of mind, so when i took it late this time i felt like i just mad a super terrible mistake

i called my pharmacist before going on this website and i asked if 3 hrs decresed effectiveness and he literally said no and hung up. i just wanted more info..thank you for easing my mind..i thought taking the pill more than like 30 min late equaled pregnancy

Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Continuing with intercourse for more than a few seconds after ejaculation is not proper condom use: if you and your boyfriend want to continue, he needs to switch condoms. When used correctly, condoms do not leak from the base - part of what they do is keep semen near the tip, that's how they're designed. So leaking isn't something you need to be concerned about.

I'm sorry your pharmacist was so unhelpful on the phone! But again, 3 hours late with a combined pill is not going to change the effectiveness of your pill. I'm not sure where you got the information that taking a pill more than 30 minutes late reduced effectiveness, but that is not true: with the combined pill, anything later than 12 hours past the normal time is considered late, and it's recommended that you stick within a 3-hour window either way of your usual time.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeje23
Neophyte
Member # 95574

so if we keep going after ejaculation the condom will leak? or if he is still hard will it keep all liquid in? what if it somehow travels past the tip can it still be kept in?
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The condom can start to slip off once the penis begins to soften, which is when leaking can begin to occur. Once the condom is full, it's done it's job and is less likely to be able to continue doing it's job (staying put!) effectively.

As Karybu said, effective use of condoms includes stopping intercourse after ejaculation and removing the condom.

Here's some more information about effective condom use.

Condom Basics: A User's Manual

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeje23
Neophyte
Member # 95574

so the issue with condoms after ejaculation is that they can slip off right?

what if i saw that it did not slip off after intercourse? can i consider that the condom was effective? do i need it worry if i saw it come out and it did not slip?

now im super nervous because i thought i was using condoms correctly?

[ 04-16-2012, 06:47 AM: Message edited by: jeje23 ]

Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're using two forms of birth control, which is awesome!

If the condom did not slip off then you most probably did not come in contact with his semen.

It's likely sound to change what you and your boyfriend do from here on out though to minimize the chances of it slipping off, especially since it does make you nervous. [Smile]

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeje23
Neophyte
Member # 95574

okay thank you i will definetly talk to him about.

so if it was still on when he pulled out, didnt slip, and he was still fully erect, the condom will keep in the liquid correct because it is designed to keep in liquid whereever in the condom it may be
?

i just want to make sure i dont have to worry about diseases either because i just got myself tested so i wouldnt go again until next year.

Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by jeje23:
so if it was still on when he pulled out, didnt slip, and he was still fully erect, the condom will keep in the liquid correct because it is designed to keep in liquid whereever in the condom it may be
?

That's exactly right.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.