Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » Decidual bleeding or period?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Decidual bleeding or period?
Ariel89
Neophyte
Member # 95444

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ariel89     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello, I'd really like to find out if what I had was decidual bleeding or normal period. I had protected sex on 4th march and 21st march. And my periods are usually regular and lasts about 8 or 9 days. I had brown discharge on 23rd march that progressed to bleeding... This began a couple of days earlier than when my period was supposed to come.. The bleeding was lighter than my usual period but still had bright red blood and clots.. It ended 2 days earlier than my normal cycle of 8 days. Since it ended on 28th march, I started to have achy breasts from yesterday.. And I usually get achy breasts 2 weeks before my period and backaches during. My breasts didn't hurt as much for the last supposed period.. And now I'm worried it may be decidual bleeding which means I may be pregnant. The tender breasts aren't helping.. I took a pregnancy test today on my own and it came put negative. But I understand that decidual bleeding can produce false negatives. I'll prob take another test tomorrow but right now I really would like to know what are the chances of me being pregnant now? I'm really confused and worried. Would appreciate any advice anyone can give. Thank you!!
Posts: 25 | From: Singapore | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What did you use for protection? Did you use the method correctly and consistently?

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ariel89
Neophyte
Member # 95444

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ariel89     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We used condoms.. We are normally quite safe and my partner also cleans up before wearing the condom.
Posts: 25 | From: Singapore | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephanie_1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 36725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephanie_1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's sounding like it was a normal bleed, even though it may have been lighter/shorter. Also, if the condom didn't break or slip off you don't need to be worried there.

--------------------
"Sometimes the majority only means that all the fools are on the same side" ~Anon

Posts: 3429 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ariel89
Neophyte
Member # 95444

That's what I was thinking, as I did check the condom and all. But the achy boobs are making me think otherwise. Surely its too early to be feeling PMS symptoms for my next period?

Also, is it too early for me to take a pregnancy test?

When does decidual bleeding normally occur and how long does it last?

Sorry for the influx of questions, I just have so many doubts and I'm super stressed out :/

September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Sorry for double posting.]

[ 04-03-2012, 01:45 AM: Message edited by: September ]

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

It's not that unusual for breasts to sometimes feel a little achy, even if your period is still far away. So, I'd not jump to pregnancy as a conclusion, especially given that you used protection and it did not fail (and with a condom, you know when it does).

The earliest you can take a pregnancy is at 14 days after the risk.

Decidual bleeding is a name for any bleeding during pregnancy. That means that there is no specific way that it looks like, as it can be caused by different things, and is not something that normally occurs.

Since you had bleeding that arrived around the time your period would, and lasted around the time your period usually does, it's much more likely that you had a period that was just a bit off.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

Ariel89
Neophyte
Member # 95444

Oh ok so is it safe to assume that the pregnancy test I took was accurate? I took another test today and it turned out negative as well. I just need to know that its not decidual bleeding affecting the test result (according to what I've read somewhere). Do you think I need another test next week or something?

I have had histories of ovarian cysts and polycystic ovarian syndrome and hormonal imbalance over the past few years and have gone for a couple of surgeries. So is it possible that I'm having some form of hormonal imbalance again which explains the achy boobs and weird period?

Thank you so much for your advice! I really appreciate it! You guys have been really helpful [Smile]

Stephanie_1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 36725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephanie_1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The test would still be accurate, so there's no reason to be worried there. Per the hormones, that could certainly be an explanation.

--------------------
"Sometimes the majority only means that all the fools are on the same side" ~Anon

Posts: 3429 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ariel89
Neophyte
Member # 95444

Oh alright then.. Thanks! Just one last question, so can I completely rule out pregnancy in my case? If so, what should I do next? Take another test in two weeks or wait for my next period or see a gynae?

I feel alot better and less stressed after reading your responses! Thank you!!

September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Since you used protection, there is no reason to worry about a pregnancy risk. If you want, you can take another pregnancy test to ease your mind. Other than that, there's nothing you could or should be doing about this.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

Ariel89
Neophyte
Member # 95444

i guess i'll just have to wait it out for the time being! since i've already taken two tests... as long as pregnancy is not a factor as we're both completely unprepared for it.

i hope my body will sort itself out or i'll have to see a gynae (which i dread). great website you guys have here, keep it going! [Smile]

Ariel89
Neophyte
Member # 95444

oh and just to clarify something, how soon does it take for pregnancy symptoms to show up? assuming if there are early pregnancy symptoms, the pregnancy test should almost definitely be positive right?
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Periods don't always look exactly the same every month, so I don't see this slight variation as anything unusual or worthy seeing a doctor about.

The first reliable pregnancy symptom is a missed period. All other symptoms of early pregnancy are too unspecific: they could also be caused by anything from stress to the flu.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

Ariel89
Neophyte
Member # 95444

Ok that's good to know.. My boobs are getting more tender everyday.. The only thing I can do now then is to wait for the next period?

Does having a slightly off period mess with my cycle? Like I can expect it to come earlier this month as well?

Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's really hard to predict what your cycle will do? As someone who had irregular cycles for years, I can sympathise with the fact that "wait and see" doesn't seem like much of an answer, but when it comes to matters of the body that's really all we can say. [Smile]

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ariel89
Neophyte
Member # 95444

So just being curious, can decidual bleeding affect a home pregnancy test?

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.