Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » oh no oh no

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: oh no oh no
Stereohearts
Activist
Member # 81863

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stereohearts         Edit/Delete Post 
Ach so I was in the midst of taking my pill, starting to drink water, and I kinda sneezed. Next thing you know I see my pill in my cup of water. So I panicked, picked the pill out of the water and swallowed it down. It may have dissolved a teeny tiny bit in the water but I made sure to drink all the water that was left in the cup. Should I take another pill just in case?
Posts: 57 | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stereohearts
Activist
Member # 81863

I just took another bc pill just in case. The previous pill was in my cup of water and I think it may have dissolved a bit so I treated it a missed pill sorta. Am I going to be ok in terms of effectiveness for this cycle or will this mishap affect me? Should I use a backup method for 7 days?
Posts: 57 | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since you just took another pill, you're covered. You don't need to consider this a missed pill.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stereohearts
Activist
Member # 81863

Thanks so much! I sorta panicked there and just took another bc pill. So Im still up there w/ the 99%?
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The 99% figure is achieved in lab tests, and lab conditions, as I'm sure you can imagine, are nearly impossible to create in real life. But if you take your pills at the same time every day, with no late or missed pills (and this one wasn't missed, as you made it up right away), you are as safe as possible.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stereohearts
Activist
Member # 81863

taking two pills in one day even if there might not have been anything wrong with the first pill wont affect effectiveness either, like decrease it? I know taking two pills in one day if one was missed helps boost effectiveness.
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Taking more pills than necessary won't decrease effectiveness.

If you miss one pill (that is, do not take it within at least 12 hours of your pill time), you can try and minimize the effect by taking another pill as soon as you remember.

But your pill today was never missed, so nothing to worry about.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

Stereohearts
Activist
Member # 81863

I spoke to a pharmacist and she told me to skip tomorrows dose and use a backup method for the rest of the cycle. I thought I should never skip a dose...

She referred me to another pharmacist and he said what you said, that I should be just fine and to take tomorrows dose as usual.

September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

I'm sorry you got such confusing advice! You are right, though: skipping a dose is never a good idea. Just continue taking your pills as you normally would.

If you continue to be worried, though, there is no harm in backing up with condoms, anyway.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

Stereohearts
Activist
Member # 81863

what would be the best thing to do so as to not affect the effectiveness of my pill? I'm not sure why one said to skip a dose, she said it would mess up my cycle if I didnt.
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

The best thing to do would be to simply keep taking your pills as directed. Seriously: it's skipping a dose that can affect protection and mess with your cycle. An extra pill won't affect your protection. The first pharmacist you spoke with was incorrect.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

Stereohearts
Activist
Member # 81863

I'll be ok next cycle too?
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, you'll be fine next cycle.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stereohearts
Activist
Member # 81863

Since I'll be "short" one pill this cycle, since I took two one day, should I take that pill from my next pack or just start my placebo week one day earlier. Will I still be covered on my placebo week if I start one day earlier?
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

It would be best to take your last pill from another pack. It's a great idea to have a spare pack for just this purpose.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

Stereohearts
Activist
Member # 81863

Would I be protected on my placebo week?

My nurse said to skip the last day before my placebo week and that it doesnt count as a missed pill since technically I took all of my pills. She said I just "overtook". Im so confused haha. The best thing to do would be to just make up that "missing pill"? This little mishap wouldnt affect/lower my effectiveness the remaining days of this cycle and my next pack, including my placebo week if I make up that pill?

September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

As we've told you before, it really makes no sense to skip any pills. Just finish this pack as you usually would, and then have your placebo week as usual.

You also do not need to consider any pills missed - you made up that one pill within the 3-hour window, so you never missed any pills.

And since you did not miss any pills, you also do not have to worry about your protection being compromised.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

Stereohearts
Activist
Member # 81863

Oh when I meant "missing pill" I was referring to the fact that I would be short one pill at the end of this cycle, so I should just take one from my spare pack and make it up?

Im just confused on how to go about fixing the fact that I took two pills in one day, if it might not have been necessary to make up the pill that might have dissolved in the water a bit. I remember you stating earlier that taking more pills than necessary won't decrease effectiveness. I've read what to do when one misses a pill but never really came across in my pill packet what to do if I take more than one pill a day when I didnt miss any haha

September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Oh, right, of course. Do take a pill from your spare pack to make up for the pill you will be short. If you do that, you'll have taken all of your pills, as directed, and will be just fine.

There is nothing that needs "fixing" when it comes to the day where you took two pills. Taking two pill won't compromise your effectiveness and doesn't have any lasting effect. It's not an issue and not something you need to worry about.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

Stereohearts
Activist
Member # 81863

Got it, thanks so much [Smile]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.