Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » sex right after period

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: sex right after period
anael1238
Activist
Member # 94117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for anael1238     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
my period started on Wednesday and because I'm on the pill it's very light. It's Monday and I thought I was done with my period but then I saw really light, light brown discharge. Thing is I'm not sure if I did something incredibly foolish, I had unprotected sex but used withdrawal. my boyfriend and I have been on a monogamous relationship and are sti-free. I'm worried because I honestly thought my period was done >< do you think there is anything to worry about? [Frown]
Posts: 99 | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anael1238
Activist
Member # 94117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for anael1238     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh I'm referring to the fact that there was still brown discharge that came in contact with his penis
Posts: 99 | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anael, can you clarify you are asking? What are you concerned about?

--------------------
-joey
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9026 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also, just something to know, which is that some ways of being aroused, and also orgasm, can create uterine contractions. So, we can sometimes squeeze out, as it were, a little more flow or leftover blood from a recent period with sexual activity soon after.

If you were seeing this discharge at a different time, I'd be a bit more concerned, especially if either of you weren't up-to-date with STI tests. But it sounds like you are (right?), and this is right after a period, so likely no need to worry about this discharge.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About MeGet our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67218 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anael1238
Activist
Member # 94117

Oh! So sorry if I wasn't clear! Well I know that STIs can be transmitted through fluids and so I was a bit concerned that the leftover blood would add to the risk.

My boyfriend and I have been together for four year years, each others first sexual partners for everything and have been mongamius. We're both sti free!

Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, any exposure to blood can absolutely increase risks of some STIs.

So, on top of being monogamous and each other's firsts, you have also both been tested for all the STIs you can be within the last year or two? If so, and those results were all negative, you can now (save for HPV for him, which he can't be tested for) that you are currently free of any STIs. Without those tests, no one can know for sure.

--------------------
About MeGet our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67218 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anael1238
Activist
Member # 94117

Yes!

is exposure to blood the same as exposure to semen or other genital fluids? in regards to sti? Or does exposure to that brown discharge require us to be tested again for any more?

Heather
Member # 3

Well, it's not the same in that it can expose him (not you, it's already in your body) more to certain STIs than your vaginal fluids themselves can. But it is the same in that it, like other genital fluids, can pose STI risk.

Really. when to get tested again is not about this but about when you were each last tested. Has it been more than a year? If so, testing again is wise, as it always is to do around once a year (more often for anyone who isn't in an exclusive relationship, or doesn't stay in one throughout that time).

--------------------
About MeGet our book!

anael1238
Activist
Member # 94117

Oh I meant like, for him does exposure to the discharge pose risks for any other sti other than the ones that semen and other genital fluid pose? Or do they all pose the same risks for the same stds?

We were tested within the last year [Smile]

Heather
Member # 3

It poses Hepatitis risks not likely or less likely without blood contact and higher HIV risks. But if you both have been tested for those in the last year, and you've both stayed exclusive since, it's all good. [Smile]

--------------------
About MeGet our book!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.