Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » Condom broke

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Condom broke
Amyyy
Neophyte
Member # 54946

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amyyy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My boyfriend and I had sex for the first time Wed night. but the condom broke. After he came I noticed that I was really wet down there, thats when we looked at the condom and saw it had split. We obviously didnt put it on right or something like that. But I'm so worried. I'm freaking out and really need advice from people who really know what they're talking about. Im not on the pill, so it basically means that we wer compltley unprotected.

We went to the doctor first thing the next morning and took the morning after pill. It was about 8 hours after we had sex. It said it was 90% effective. My period is due early next week, which means that I'm not ovulating now, I dont think. Im just so scared, I'm 19 and in collage, I dont no what else I can do, it was both of our first ever times.

When will we no if the pill has worked ? Im so so worried, I just cant think straight. Please please help.

--------------------
Amyyy

Posts: 25 | From: Ireland | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, the morning-after pill can be as much as 98% effective, and its highest effectiveness is possible when taken within 24 hours, just like you did.

So, yes, you still have had pregnancy risks and possible STI risks, but, for now, you've done all you can to take care of those.

Moving forward, STI testing is a good idea, and with pregnancy, all you can do is wait this out. In the case it turns out you did become pregnant, which is unlikely given your use of Plan B, we can certainly talk with you about your options and give you some support.

Condoms rarely break, and most often do, when they do, because of improper use. So, do you want to also review how to use them correctly to make a break way less likely in the future?

[edited for statistical correction]

[ 07-22-2013, 01:48 PM: Message edited by: Heather ]

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amyyy
Neophyte
Member # 54946

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amyyy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks so much for your reply. No theres no possibility of an sti, as i said, for both of us it was our first ever time, thats why i think its because we didnt put it on right ... But if I was on day 23 or so of my cycle then does that mean a lesser chance ? I no not being on the pill is stupid, im going to go on it now, but Im just freaking out.

And yes, do you mind revising the basics please ?

--------------------
Amyyy

Posts: 25 | From: Ireland | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If neither of you have ever had any kind of sexual contact with anyone else, the risk of STIs is usually very low. It's never none, unless people have always lived in plastic bubbles, but in that situation, when that is the situation 9and not just for intercourse, for any sexual contact), the risks are usually very low.

Unless you chart your fertility daily, have for months and know how to read those charts well, we can't figure where you were at with your fertility. Just knowing when periods come doesn't give us that information in an accurate way.

But even if you had been in a most fertile time, again, Plan B is very effective, especially when taken so quickly, so the risk of pregnancy here is very low.

It's not stupid not to use the pill. No one form of contraception or right for everyone. It's also not stupid to only use condoms: some people choose that as a sole method and, used properly, they are highly effective. As well, not everyone has education or access to a second form of contraception. But for sure, if you want the most protection you can get, your best bet moving forward is to pair condoms with a second method.

So, here's two links on condom use, including one about common mistakes people make that cause breaks. If you've questions after reading these, I'm happy to answer them for you:
Condom Basics: A User's Manual
http://www.scarleteen.com/blog/heather_corinna/2011/11/23/condoms_breaking_ur_probably_doin_it_wrong

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amyyy
Neophyte
Member # 54946

Yea them articals are really good, thanks !! I just have one other question. I got my period right on time, its all normal(ish, so I presume I'm in the all clear now, or would I be safer to do a prgnancy test just to make sure ?

... But this last week everyday I've been feeling sick, like a nausiated feeling, is this normal from taking the morning after pill? It said that I might feel nausea for the next month but would I really feel this sick ?

Thanks again for your help.

--------------------
Amyyy

KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you want to take a pregnancy test, you'll need to wait until it's been at least 10-14 days past the contact. But if your period came on time and was normal for you, then that's a good indication that you're not pregnant.

Per the nausea, that's a side effect of any hormonal contraceptive. Some people don't experience it, but others do. So the nausea could be related to that. Usually it clears up fairly quickly. You also could have just picked up some kind of stomach bug or something like that.

--------------------
Sarah Liz

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.