Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » Ugh, here again. Super light period.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Ugh, here again. Super light period.
SittingPretty12
Activist
Member # 94883

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SittingPretty12     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, I've been on the pill for about 5 years now. I go on and off of it. My period is usually very heavy on it. In fact, my last one was very heavy.

I've been feeling a TON of discomfort in my abdomen area. I was a day late for my period, it came this morning with one LIGHT gush and now it's gone. I'm not bleeding at all anymore.

I've been under a lot of stress lately (dealing with school and depression), so I'm wondering if this can make it light even on the pill? I do not recall missing a pill and I did use a condom with my previous partner (not sure if any broke or not, but to my knowledge .. no).

The last time we had sex was February 14th. I'm kind of at a loss for what to do or think. [Frown]

--------------------
xo.

Posts: 113 | From: West Coast, Best Coast | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Saffron Raymie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 49582

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Saffron Raymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stress and illnesses such as depression can cause a withdrawal bleed (the 'period' we have while on the pill) to be late, light and different from our usual bleeding.

You'd know if the condom had broken; they tend to look very obviously broken when they do - like a popped balloon.

That said, if you've been having a lot of pain, it's a good idea to get yourself seen by a doctor as soon as possible.

--------------------
~ Saffy
Scarleteen Volunteer

To my Abuser: I'm seeing stars. I bet you can't do that.

Posts: 1265 | From: England | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SittingPretty12
Activist
Member # 94883

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SittingPretty12     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, thanks.

I took a pregnancy test at my university's clinic today and it came out negative. This is 27 days after we had intercourse. Is it safe to say I'm just having a wonky period? Was that too early to test? Thanks!

Posts: 113 | From: West Coast, Best Coast | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
NO, 27 days after your last intercourse isn't too early at all. WE generally suggest that people start testing 14 days after a suspected pregnancy risk; by 27 days you'd definitely know.

With your pain, though, as Ray said, I'd definitely suggest seeing a health care professional. Can you see someone at the clinic?

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Saffron Raymie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 49582

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Saffron Raymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nope - that test was perfectly accurate, as we advise waiting 14 days after engaging in sex to test. So, providing you followed the instructions on the box, you can absolutely trust that result.

So yep, it's safe to say you're just having a different withdrawal bleed, which is common.

--------------------
~ Saffy
Scarleteen Volunteer

To my Abuser: I'm seeing stars. I bet you can't do that.

Posts: 1265 | From: England | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SittingPretty12
Activist
Member # 94883

Thanks! I didn't take it myself, a nurse did it for me. One last question I read somewhere that urine tests at doctor's offices are the LEAST sensitive. Is that true? Either way, I'm sure 28 days is sufficient for a test.

I'm sorry for so many questions! This is just a period unlike any other.

Thanks again so much for your input [Smile]

SittingPretty12
Activist
Member # 94883

Oh, and yes, I did present my pain to the clinic. They talked a little bit about an ovarian cyst and to see my gynecologist, so I'm going over spring break. [Smile]

--------------------
xo.

Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tests at the doctor's office are the same as other urine tests, and they are very accurate. Glad to hear you've got an appointment with your gyn to sort out the pain you're having.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5656 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.