Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » Precum and a Late Period

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Precum and a Late Period
questionMark???
Neophyte
Member # 95239

Icon 1 posted      Profile for questionMark???     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My girlfriend is currently 5 days late for her period, and I'm getting a bit scared.

For the longest time, we practiced sexual abstinence. The closest we ever got to anything was dry humping and mutual masturbation. I've made it a very important point never to cum when close to her.

Recently though, we had an encounter where we both had all our clothing off. Still, I kept away from genital contact, but at one point, she rubbed my penis on her vagina.

I did not cum throughout the entire time, knowing that this would be very risky, as we did not have access to any types of birth control at the time. There was probably some precum involved, but I've read all of the available information, and I was of the belief that this should not be a pregnancy risk.

I did not imagine that this would not really become an issue, but just recently, she told me that her period was late. It's currently 5 days overdue, and I'm nervously waiting for news that her menses have begun. She's reporting slight cramps / stomach pains, and has back pain from an unrelated injury.

I guess I'm just looking for advice or reassurance. I've been getting sickly, and haven't been able to sleep for the past few days; I may even be more on edge than she is. I would appreciate any kind of help.

Posts: 4 | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does your girlfriend have periods that come after the same number of days each month? It's not unusual for women to have cycles that are irregular, or that are sometimes regular and sometimes irregular. It's also worth noting that if this back injury was recent that could also be throwing things off, not because it's a back injury necessarily but because illness or physical stress on the body is one of the many things that can affect menstrual cycles.

Not sure if you've taken a look at our information about pregnancy risks, but if not, take a look here:

Afraid you might be pregnant? Please read this first.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
questionMark???
Neophyte
Member # 95239

Icon 1 posted      Profile for questionMark???     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Robin. I really appreciate your reply. As far as I know, my girlfriend's had relatively constant period cycles of around 30 to 32 days, at least for the past year or so. I do remember that she had a late period at least once before that.

Her back injury happened recently also, the morning of her third day of lateness. The injury doesn't seem to severe but it's caused pretty lasting pain.

An additional point is that she's spent the last month or two pretty heavily stressed out. She's worrying about a lot of things, including an upcoming state exam, and looking for a new house for her parents.

I've read that article you mentioned, and my mind is still not completely at rest. If it were not for this delayed period, I would not really be worried, but there it is. (that said, I must still thank you for the reference.)

Is there perhaps anything else you could tell me that would ease this a little? I'm going kind of crazy just waiting here, and I don't want to pressure her by constantly asking her how she feels. I hope I'm not distracting too heavily from other people who may need more immediate help.

Posts: 4 | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi There,

I can certainly understand how this would be anxiety-provoking. There are certainly many reasons for a period to be late, including stress. It's a tough thing because we can't just look inside the body and say "hey, why are you late with the period this time?" [Smile]

That said, bare genital-to=genital contact is considered a pregnancy risk. What you describe can (because you did not ejaculate) be compared to
perfect use of teWithdrawal
method wic is considered 96% effective in preventing pregnancy from occurring.

If your girlfriend wishes to, she could take a pregnancy test just to be sure.

I'm also wondering about whether the two of you would like to figure out how to get access to birth control.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
questionMark???
Neophyte
Member # 95239

Hey Robin,

Thanks again for the reply. I've got access to birth control now (went out to get it the moment after the genital contact incident finished). So, I'm okay in that respect.

On a lighter note, it appears that her period has arrived. I'll be observing how things develop just to be sure, but I think we're in the clear now.

I will post again in a day or so with an update.

Thank you very, very much.

questionMark???
Neophyte
Member # 95239

Alright, all's clear. That was pretty scary, but I think we've both learned from it.

Massive thanks to Scarleteen for the help, and reassurance. You're an extremely awesome resource on the web, and I wish more power to all of ya.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.