Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » Don't know if I could be pregnant or not :S

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Don't know if I could be pregnant or not :S
bluevelvetcake
Neophyte
Member # 94991

Icon 5 posted      Profile for bluevelvetcake         Edit/Delete Post 
About 28 days ago I started my first pack of birth control pills (Marvelon 28)ever and I had taken the sugar pills as well in order to get my period. So last night I decided to start a new pack and take a pill since I felt that my period was completly over. This morning I had random stains that were brownish in my underwear and later on in the day I had sex with my boyfriend. I understand that no matter what I will be in slight danger of getting pregnant while on the pills, but should I be concerned after the events of today on whether or not I am pregnant?
Posts: 9 | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a bit confused by what you're asking: are you saying you are concerned about pregnancy because you had spotting?

If so, know that spotting is a very common side effect with all methods of hormonal contraception. Pregnancy also does not happen instantly like it sounds you're thinking: to get to a conception, when that does happen, it usually takes somewhere just under around a week.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is it the discharge that concerns you? If so, that is normal. It may well have been your withdrawal bleed finishing up, or spotting, which is a common occurrence for people who take birth control pills.

I want to check something else with you though. When you take the sugar--placebo--pills it's important to start your new pack the day after you take the last sugar pill. I'm just checking in with you on this because you mentioned your period being finished, not that it was time to start taking the new pack.

Three questions about taking the birth control pill (and plenty of answers)

If you are feeling as if the Pill doesn't give you enough security with birth control--keep in mind that it is 92% effective at preventing pregnancy with typical use and 99% with perfect use--you could always back up with another method.

The Buddy System: Effectiveness Rates for Backing Up Your Birth Control With a Second Method

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bluevelvetcake
Neophyte
Member # 94991

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bluevelvetcake         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm concerned about pregnancy because I only had one pill after my period ended and have had sex the morning after I took it (I take my pills at 9pm). I have only finished one pack previously, been on a break to get my period (i took the sugar pills during that time) and I'm not sure if one pill was enough for the birth control to have full effect again. So I'm a bit worried as to whether or not I could be pregnant. I just thought I should mention the spotting in case. I saw the spotting before I had sex.
Posts: 9 | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, the way the pill works, once you're past the very first pack you started, so long as you take your pill properly every day in packs moving forward, you have full effectiveness right at the start of every new pack.

The spotting you saw was likely the end of your withdrawal bleed or, again, due to your pill as a side effect. Mind, if you're not using condoms, you do also want to make sure you and any partners are current with STI tests, too, just in general, but also because unexplained bleeding is sometimes related to sexually transmitted infections.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bluevelvetcake
Neophyte
Member # 94991

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bluevelvetcake         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you very much [Smile]
Heather
Member # 3

Sure thing. Since it sounds like you didn't get good education about your pill when it was prescribed, I'd be happy to answer any other questions you have about it.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.