Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » Ec

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Ec
anael1238
Activist
Member # 94117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for anael1238     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Im on the second day of my placebo week and yesterday the condom broke but we didn't notice at first but when we did we stopped immediately.he had not ejaculated. Same thing happened this morning. Should I take ec? Will it cover both risks?? I'm not sure if I missed my last pill that's why because I was sick. If I take ec will I be completely protected once I start up my pills again or should I use a back up for the first seven days
Posts: 99 | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoatRack
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 50455

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CoatRack     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Even missing one BC pill you're still pretty covered in terms of protection, even during your placebo week. Especially because he had not ejaculated yet. EC is up to you, but we recommend using a backup method (eg: condoms in addition to the pill) for this reason exactly - if one fails you're still covered.

I think the bigger thing to talk about is why your condoms are breaking. That shouldn't be happening if you're using them correctly. Do you want to talk about that?

[ 02-14-2012, 05:15 PM: Message edited by: CoatRack ]

--------------------
Hey folks, my name is Andrew and I was a mod here for awhile a couple years ago. I'll be here for a couple weeks while Heather is out and the site is even more short-staffed than usual

Posts: 441 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anael1238
Activist
Member # 94117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for anael1238     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh no but I didn't make up the pill I might have missed since I wasn't sure if I did miss it
Posts: 99 | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can't you look at your pack right now and see if it's there or not?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anael1238
Activist
Member # 94117

See the thing is, it's not. I just don't remember if I took it! [Frown] I'm pretty sure I did because I always take my pill first thing when I wake up and before I leave my room. I'm sure I'd be freaking out like crazy if I missed it. I'm that type of person. I just don't remember the act of taking it but I was feeling pretty sick that day, I don't even remember eating breakfast and a lot of things that morning. Is the risk huge since the condom broke?
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If it's not still in your pack, I think you can be pretty darn sure you took it. [Smile]

If you ever miss a pill and don't make it up, that usually means you're probably in the typical use rate for the pill, which is 92% (in one year). But while that's a risk, even that isn't a "huge" risk. The risk of STIs is bigger in that situation than of pregnancy.

(Since condoms rarely break when used properly, we can talk about how to use them properly if you like.)

--------------------
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anael1238
Activist
Member # 94117

Thanks [Smile] I guess I'm just worrying because I don't actually remember.

To be on the safe side, just in case I did miss it, should I use backup for the first 7 days? And if I did miss it, I'd still be protected since I took all the others? Just not 99%

I think it's because we didn't use lube [Frown] it felt dry I could tell

Heather
Member # 3

I'd say yep -- to the backup -- and yep: by all means, making one mistake with the pill doesn't make it totally ineffective, it can just decrease effectiveness.

Mind, you can still use EC if you'd feel better doing that. Up to you.

And yep, not using lubricant is one common cause of breakage. Extra bonus of using it? You don't have to feel dry, a feeling that tends to feel anything but awesome during intercourse.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

anael1238
Activist
Member # 94117

Would ec make a huge difference in your opinion? I'm nt entirely sure on the rates for ec that's why
Heather
Member # 3

Huge? No. EC is less effective than your pill is. And it'd only do anything if your pill isn't doing its job.

So, it could possibly make some difference, but not a huge diff in this situation. For me, with situations like this, it's really about asking how comfy you are with your level of risk, which is obviously a personal decision.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

anael1238
Activist
Member # 94117

to be honest, I'm 98% sure I took my pill. I never miss it only because if ever I did I'd freak out and have tons of anxiety. it's habit to take it right when I get up. Im having anxiety because it wasn't where I usually put it and I don't remember the act of taking it. it's not in the case. I think the fact that I don't remember anything out of the ordinary happening is because nothing happened. Like I took it as usual. If I freaked out then I'd be on the phone getting a replacement pill. Lol. If that makes sense...so sorry for venting. I feel like I need to reason with myself haha.
Heather
Member # 3

It's okay, and all of that sounds very reasonable to me.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

anael1238
Activist
Member # 94117

After seven days into my new pack, my pills would be completely effective again? Even if I did happen to miss one in the last pack and didn't make it up
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, if you've been taking the pill as directed for the past week, you're fine. [Smile]

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anael1238
Activist
Member # 94117

only when you're just starting on the pill for the first time you should use backup for a month?
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, when starting for the first time or after a longer break, we recommended waiting one full month. After a pill mishap, you're back on track after one full week.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anael1238
Activist
Member # 94117

In the future if I did make up the pill I would be all right the first day of my new pack? Since I didn't make it up this time, I'd be all good after one week of properly taking it?
Saffron Raymie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 49582

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Saffron Raymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That depends how late you made it up. If you take the combination pill, and were more than 12-24 hours late (A missed pill is usually classed as 24 hours late) - we recommend using a back-up method for the rest of your cycle to be on the safe side. However, there is likely no risk from one missed pill or a need for EC. If you were less than 12 hours late with your combination pill; it would be unlikely that your protection from pregnancy will have been compromised.

If you take the minipill, and were more than 3 hours late to make up your pill, we definately reccomend a back up method of contraception, as your minipill protection may be compromised.

As September said above; you'll be back up to full protection after one full week of taking your pills as directed, if you did indeed miss that pill before and didn't make it up.

Here's some more info on pill use for you: Three Questions about the pill (and Plenty of Answers)

[ 02-20-2012, 09:24 AM: Message edited by: Saffron Reimi ]

--------------------
'Obtain the virgin's consent before you marry her' - Prophet Mohammad (pbuh)

Posts: 1285 | From: England | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.