Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » NextChoice concern... frustrated...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: NextChoice concern... frustrated...
laceyxo
Activist
Member # 47026

Icon 8 posted      Profile for laceyxo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So me and my new boyfriend (a quick background: the last time i posted on this site, I had another boyfriend. I've been with this new guy for about 3 months now. Hes new to sexual stuff so i understand where a lot of his fears stem from . I used to be really scared of precum, but now I'm not. However it makes him nervous.)

Anways, we had unprotected sex on November 20th. He didnt cum but he felt like he was going to so he pulled out. He gets really nervous about precum, like i said so i ended up taking the NextChoice pill on the 21st. I took both pills according to schedule and had my period within two weeks. However, i had another period two weeks after that.

The last period I had ended on January 1st. Im supposed to be getting my period (according to its normal schedule) around the 28th and now im late. We had sex within the month of january but not only did we use a condom, he pulled out too. Im gettog nervous about missing my period, even though i understand everything we did after my last period was super safe.

I guess what im asking is if im at risk of being pregnant? Because we don't want to put ourselves at another month of being worried, we have the safest sex we can possibly have. During January, all we did was mess around without any penis to vagina contact besides having sex that one time with a condom on and pulling out and the other time we had sex in the month was with a condom on and we stopped before he came because his parents came home.

I took the pill twice before this time and my period was slightly affected but it wasn't ever late. It's really stressing us both out because of how different my body is reacting to the pill compared to the other times before, which were both a year ago.

I understand that I don't have much to worry about, but I've only read posts about Plan B and I'm not sure if NextChoice makes bodies react the same/similarly to Plan B. The posts about Plan B said that the cycle should be back to normal by the third month, and it's only the second in my case. My period being late is really stressing me out and I feel as though my stress along with my boyfriends adding on is making it even later.

Please, any help or assurance would be greatly appreciated..

[ 01-29-2012, 04:15 PM: Message edited by: laceyxo ]

Posts: 42 | From: Indiana | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
next Choice, or any emergency contraception, can make menstrual cycles a little wonky for a couple of months. Do you write down when you get your periods? Or, do you know generally whether you always get your period after the same number of days? It's not unusual in general to have cycles that are irregular, or that last logner than 28 days.

Nothing you describe in terms of your sexual activity poses a risk for pregnancy.

You can always take a home pregnancy test if that would make you feel more comfy.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
laceyxo
Activist
Member # 47026

Icon 1 posted      Profile for laceyxo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I typically have my period sooner or around the same day every month. Say I started on the 25th of one month, the next month I typically would start anywhere between the 20th up to the 25th. I'm now a few days late for my January period, but like I said, I had two completely normal periods in December after taking the pills. One in the first week of the month, and one in the last week of the month.
I've had two periods in a row after around 3 weeks the last two times I took the pill, but I was never late afterwards.

I edited my original post, btw, so maybe some of the added information could help.

[ 01-29-2012, 04:13 PM: Message edited by: laceyxo ]

Posts: 42 | From: Indiana | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Saffron Raymie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 49582

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Saffron Raymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It isn't usual for our periods to do strange things sometimes, like go missing or be late for no reason. This can be due to very slight changes in diet, resting, excercise and stress levels - or just because we're human and our bodies fluctuate sometimes.

However, unfortunately there's always a risk with the kinds of sex that can create a pregnancy. How small that risk was is a different matter. By combining the Withdrawal Method and Male Condoms you are at a 95.65-99.64% effectiveness rate at preventing pregnancy. If you are using the condoms perfectly - following This Guide and using withdrawal perfectly - described here: The Withdrawal Method. With such perfect use, you should be at 99.62%. Always remember that someone needs to hold the base of the condom as the penis is withdrawn.

So the risk is tiny. What's way more likely than pregnancy here is that you body is just reacting to the NextChoice Emergency contraception. Our bodies won't always react to any kind of Emergency Contraception in the same way - it can be radically different. Periods can also be late very commonly, for many other reasons. This includes slight changes in diet, rest, stress or excercise.

As Robin said, home pregnancy tests can be the best therapy there is, just have to have 100% reassurance that pregnancy can be completely ruled out. However, with such a teeny risk (a fraction of a percent) is highly unlikely.

[ 02-01-2012, 06:11 AM: Message edited by: Saffron Raymi ]

--------------------
'Obtain the virgin's consent before you marry her' - Prophet Mohammad (pbuh)

Posts: 1285 | From: England | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.