Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » Yeast infection? :(

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Yeast infection? :(
Pancake
Neophyte
Member # 36529

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pancake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey scarleteen,

I have had really bad itching on one side of my vulva and not the other, and I went to check it out a bit more and it looks very inflamed/swollen and red. I also do have the white discharge that smells like yeast. Is this awful inflammation/itching also a symptom of a yeast infection as well?

I am 100% sure it is not an STD because I only had one sex partner and I just spoke to him to confirm (which I knew before but when this came up I asked again just in case), and he has had no other partners.

I can't get into the clinic till Monday so any insight would be appreciated.

I also read somewhere that pregnancy could cause a yeast infection? How early of a symptom would that be?

I feel like I freak out too much about pregnancy. Usually I am okay but now I just keep drawing connections between symptoms and it makes it all the worse. I have been taking BC pills at the same time everyday for 4 years now, he never ejaculated in me, the only difference was this time we used a today sponge. I know the facts, and I know it's very unlikely I am pregnant...i just can't shake this feeling. Do sponges have any connection with yeast infections? The last time I used the sponge was a week ago, is it possible for the symptoms to take a week to show up?

I would really appreciate anyone calming my nerves right now!

[ 01-28-2012, 06:32 PM: Message edited by: Pancake ]

Posts: 36 | From: North America | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
HI There,

First of all, with the combination of birth control Pill and contraceptive sponge, the likelihood of you being pregnant is, well, I don't do that kind of microscopic math. [Smile]

It's certainly something you can talk to the doctor about if you're concerned but your risk is low, low, low. (I can't say none because we can only say that for people who have not engaged in genital-to-genital sexual activity at all.) Also, pregnancy is only one of many causes of yeast infections. [Smile]

Okay, moving on.

The spermicide in the sponge can cause irritation, itching, or swelling. I'm not sure why the effects would take a week to show up, but it's certainly possible that the sponge is the cause, or a contributing factor anyway.

I certainly can't diagnose anything, both because I'm not a doctor and because this is online. Some of The symptoms you describe do count as symptoms of yeast infections. Your best bet now is to go to the doctor and have them check you out.

Also, about stds (also called STIs for sexually transmitted infections). I know that you believe your partner when he says you're his first sexual partner, but it's a really good idea anyway to get yourself tested if you're sexually active, as a baseline if nothing else.

Here's an article on yeast infections:

Yeast Infections

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pancake
Neophyte
Member # 36529

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pancake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you so much for your quick response Robin [Smile] I was tested about a year ago for STIs and I already have another one scheduled in February so then I can truly be 100% sure in that domain.

I will go to the clinic on Monday..grrr I hate them looking down there but what can you do and hopefully get a period on Wednesday! I think we will just use condoms from now on, I was never sure if I had inserted the Today Sponge correctly.

Posts: 36 | From: North America | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck with the appointment! [Smile]

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pancake
Neophyte
Member # 36529

Thank you Robin [Smile]
I had my appointment today. It was weird because she almost didn't get a culture sample after I explained my symptoms but I wanted to make sure, and it was confirmed a yeast infection by her. I got some prescriptions and took them so hopefully I am on the mend.

The doctor did make me feel kind of stupid, though [Frown] And I felt like I couldn't really discuss my fear of it being a pregnancy symptom with her. She basically laughed at me when I asked. [Frown] But yet I have seen it all over the internet. Also when she was getting the culture I felt really stupid because I forgot which way I was to lie down (I have only had one pelvic exam as I said, and it was almost a year ago), and she was like "Didn't you say you had a pelvic exam". Geez. So just feeling kind of bad about that.

Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Hi There,

Really glad you got your diagnosis and are now getting treatment. It might take a few days before you start feeling better, but you're on your way.

It's not cool though that the doctor was so condescending to you. I'm sorry she made you feel bad. There's no reason for you to remember which way to lie down after only having had one pelvic exam (or more than that, really) so to question you about that rather than just letting you know what she needed from you was inconsiderate.

--------------------
Robin

Pancake
Neophyte
Member # 36529

Phew, just got my period [Smile] , and hopefully my symptoms will go away soon for the yeast infection. I'm glad I don't have the same doc for my pap in a couple of weeks :|

I want to thank you so much for being here for me!

MThomas
Neophyte
Member # 94309

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MThomas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Pancake,

My gf had a similar situation of yours and we're both anxious when we went to the doctor. Having previous yeast infections, she was expecting a recurrence which was later confirmed by her doctor. Unlike your case, we hoping to have a baby soon [Smile]

Posts: 2 | From: Montana | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.