Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » Pregnancy risk?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Pregnancy risk?
Stargirl85
Activist
Member # 26547

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stargirl85     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On January 5th I took canesoral which I believe is just fluconazole (150mg). I got my period a week later and it was about 4-5 days long. I have been taking birth control over the past few years and am pretty good at taking it on time. I started my new pack sunday.

I was told that fluconazole may effect birth control but does anyone know for how long? I had sex today and a condom was used but that was after some serious foreplay and rubbing. I am not sure if there was direct contact but maybe. Is my birth control back to being effective and does it matter that I just had my period last week? I know sometimes with antibiotics they tell you to wait until your next cycle. Not only did I technically wait for my next cycle, the canesoral pill was taken over 13 days ago.

If there is a risk I will go get plan b. But I do not want to use it if it is not needed. HELP!!

I know birth control is not 100% effective and there is always a risk when there is no protection but what about this particular scenario??

[ 01-19-2012, 01:52 AM: Message edited by: Stargirl85 ]

Posts: 104 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So you've started a new pack since finishing the antibiotic? In that case, you should be back to full effectiveness of your pill by now.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stargirl85
Activist
Member # 26547

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stargirl85     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes I started a new pack Sunday and it has been almost two weeks since I have taken the med.

I am glad to know I am covered. Do you know why you're back at full effectiveness on your next pack if the one before (with the meds) may have drastically lowered the previous pack's effectiveness? Wouldn't it continue on as your hormones would be "wonky"?

And does it matter in regards to the effectiveness (now) that I had to take 2 of those oral meds during my last pack of birth control?

Posts: 104 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Taking the new pack puts more hormones in your body, so it doesn't matter if the hormones were wonky before or not. The pills don't care what acame before, only what is happening now. [Smile]

It might also be helpful to remember that while the antibiotics may have reduced the effectiveness of the birth control, it's unlikely that it made the birth control not effective at all.

Since you haven't been taking the antibiotics, and you're now on a new pack, things are back to how they usually are.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stargirl85
Activist
Member # 26547

Oh that makes sense. I can rest easy now :-) Thankyou to the both of you!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.