Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » Question about my girlfriend's period, worried.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Question about my girlfriend's period, worried.
speakerhead12
Neophyte
Member # 52234

Icon 1 posted      Profile for speakerhead12     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So my girlfriend and I went away during Christmas break. She was supposed to start a new pack while we were gone, but left it at home. She couldn't start the new pack until we got back home (was supposed to start it Sunday, didn't start it until the Sunday after that).

She went and consulted with the place she gets her birth control from on the Friday in between those two Sundays and she said not to have unprotected sex until my girlfriend started the new pack.

We had sex during the time after she took the first pill, but I didn't ejaculate inside her. I was a little weary and wanted to play it on the safe side.

After the first week of being on the new pack we resumed to normal sex.

Fastforward to this past Sunday, she was supposed to start her period according to her old cycle due to the BC from the past year. She normally starts the sugar-pills on Sunday and starts her period a day or two after that.

Now today I'm starting to get a little worried. She says that she has all of the signs of her period (wetness, cramping, the smell) but she hasn't started. She said that multiple times she swore she started, but when she goes to the bathroom she didn't.

My biggest question is if I should be worried at all, or if since she's taking pills with hormones in them this week, when her body is expecting the sugar-pills her period could be missed.

Posts: 15 | From: montana | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just so I understand: Is she taking the hormonal pills right now, or the sugar pills?

Whatever her cycle was in the past doesn't matter now since the hormones regulate it. If she feels like she's about to get her withdrawal bleed (which is what we call the bleeding
that happens during the sugar pill week) then she'll likely get it soon.

Are you concerned about pregnancy? If you followed the instructions given to your girlfriend by her health acare provider than there seems nothing to worry about.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
speakerhead12
Neophyte
Member # 52234

Icon 1 posted      Profile for speakerhead12     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, she is currently on the hormone pill. I have just heard of being able to skip periods by taking the hormone pill instead of the sugar pill and was curious if this was it.

Only reason that I was concerned with pregnancy was that I've heard period like symptoms are a symptom of a possible pregnancy.

[ 01-18-2012, 02:53 PM: Message edited by: speakerhead12 ]

Posts: 15 | From: montana | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, people do skip withdrawal bleeds by continuously taking the hormonal pills and skipping the placebo pills or week off (depending on which brand of pill is taken).

Sounds like your girlfriend just hasn't gotten to the week of her sugar pills.

Is she concerned about being pregnant.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
speakerhead12
Neophyte
Member # 52234

She isn't, but I am. Obviously she knows her body better than I do, but I'm just a little worried that it's later than normal.

I wouldn't be concerned if starting a pregnancy and starting a period had the same symptoms.

Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Here's some reading material that will address your question about pregnancy symptoms:

Chicken Soup for the Pregnancy Symptom Freakout's Soul

--------------------
Robin

speakerhead12
Neophyte
Member # 52234

Thanks for the posts, but she still hasn't had her period as of today.

When would be a good time to take an accurate home pregnancy test?

speakerhead12
Neophyte
Member # 52234

Anyone? I'm stressing out a ton!
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When was the date of the intercourse you're concerned could have resulted in a pregnancy?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
speakerhead12
Neophyte
Member # 52234

She took a pregnancy test and it came back negative.

I'm assuming that 4 days after her missed period would be accurate, correct?

Robin Lee
Member # 90293

It depends more on when the date of the intercourse that you think may have posed a risk was. ARound 14 days after that is the time to take a pregnancy test and expect it to be accurate. I see above that you mention going away with your girlfriend over Christmas. Is that when the lag between pill packs and the intercourse happened?

--------------------
Robin

speakerhead12
Neophyte
Member # 52234

The intercourse happened sometime between the 1st and the the 8th of january (which were the times I was worried since I wasn't sure if the BC had kicked in by then).

She missed the whole week of BC before that.

Also, I did not ejaculate inside of her during this week, but did after she had been on the BC for a week.

Stephanie_1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 36725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephanie_1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Then yes, the test would be accurate. Missing pills however, and starting again can certainly throw your bleeds off their usual time schedule - so it's sounding like that's what happened. If you're all still worried wait a week from the first test and test again, but it's sounding more like the chance in schedule is the problem here.

--------------------
"Sometimes the majority only means that all the fools are on the same side" ~Anon

Posts: 3429 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.