Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » Plan B before physical

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Plan B before physical
worried_etc
Neophyte
Member # 39564

Icon 1 posted      Profile for worried_etc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Around midnight on Saturday the condom came off while I was having sex with my boyfriend. I'm not on any birth control so the next morning I bought plan B. I haven't used it yet because I've got a physical and pap scheduled for tomorrow (which will hopefully lead to me getting an IUD) and I've heard that you're not supposed to take plan B within three days of a pap or it'll mess up the results. I can take it tomorrow (Tuesday) after my appointment and still be within the 72 hours. Does it become less effective the longer you wait? If I take it now would I have to cancel my appointment?
Posts: 11 | From: Ottawa | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alice
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 28346

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The faster you take Plan B, the more effective it is. If you ovulate, Plan B doesn't do anything at all (Plan B works by preventing ovulation and thus preventing pregnancy). I would advise you to take it right now and then call your doctor's office (leave a message if it's after-hours) asking what they would like you to do about your appointment, in this case.
Posts: 1180 | From: WA | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
worried_etc
Neophyte
Member # 39564

Icon 1 posted      Profile for worried_etc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the reply! I've taken Plan B now and rescheduled my appointment. One more thing I was wondering - I've taken hormonal birth control in the past and it lead to me getting very depressed and having bad mood swings. I was just wondering if Plan B has the same kind of effect and if it does will it last for very long? I didn't see anything in the pamphlet that said depression was a side effect so I'm hoping it won't be an issue but I'm pretty nervous!
Posts: 11 | From: Ottawa | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephanie_1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 36725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephanie_1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's really no way of knowing how anyone will react to plan b, you may notice a change for a day or two, it may not do anything per your mood/emotions. The best thing to do though is take things one day at a time.

[ 01-17-2012, 11:47 PM: Message edited by: Stephanie_1 ]

--------------------
"Sometimes the majority only means that all the fools are on the same side" ~Anon

Posts: 3429 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.