Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » Protected Sex, Negative Test, No Period...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Protected Sex, Negative Test, No Period...
thatswhatshesaid
Neophyte
Member # 93264

Icon 1 posted      Profile for thatswhatshesaid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, let me get straight to the point. I had sex on the 16th of December. It was protected--we used a condom, and he came inside of me, but with the condom on. The condom was on the whole time. Now, my last period started on Nov. 24th...but I didn't have a period at all during the month of December. I took a pregnancy test on the 31st of December and it came out negative. But there's still no period. What's going on? Am I pregnant and the test just wasn't correct? Or is something else going on? What should I do?
Posts: 9 | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Over the last six months, can you tell me the dates your period came on?

(It seems clear we can rule pregnancy out here, mind. Just trying to help you see if you can't figure out if anything else is up to be concerned about.)

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thatswhatshesaid
Neophyte
Member # 93264

Icon 1 posted      Profile for thatswhatshesaid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have dates, but I'm missing some dates for certain months. I can't find the notebook that has the dates for those months. So, I have dates for Jan, Feb, March, and April...then July and August..then November. But I'm missing May, June, September and October.
Posts: 9 | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thatswhatshesaid
Neophyte
Member # 93264

And pregnancy can definitely be ruled out?
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It would really help to know those September and October dates, but why don't you toss me what you do have? I'm asking because it's possible that you may not even be late at all: you may simply have longer cycles than you're accounting for. And of course, a history of irregularly could let us know that, for now, periods being a bit sporadic is your normal.

With a negative test and a risk being unlikely to begin with, but sex happening that might pose one before a period which did arrive, I'd say yes, you can rule pregnancy out.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thatswhatshesaid
Neophyte
Member # 93264

Jan. 5th
Feb. 16th
March 20th
April 18th
August 23rd
Nov.24th

Heather
Member # 3

So, even looking at the diff between January and February, you had a 43 day cycle, then a 33 day cycle between Feb and March, then a 30 day cycle (which ended on my birthday, wahoo!).

So, I'm seeing a history here of both longer-than-average cycles and irregularity, meaning this time around may be...well, what's been pretty typical for you for at least a year.

How long have you had your periods for in terms of years?

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

thatswhatshesaid
Neophyte
Member # 93264

I'm 20...and I think I started my period when I was 12...so 8 years?
Heather
Member # 3

Okay. And so far as you know, you're in good general health, including not having any issues with being (what is generally considered as) underweight or overweight? You eat enough, get enough rest, are generally active but not overactive, etc?

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

thatswhatshesaid
Neophyte
Member # 93264

Yeah, my general health is good. However, I don't have a regular sleep schedule. Sometimes I get enough sleep, sometimes I don't.
Heather
Member # 3

So, believe it or not, that alone may be having a big impact on the regularity of your cycles. It's kind of amazing what can throw them out of whack, but irregularity in other key parts of our life per our health -- eating, sleeping, activity, stress -- can mean menstrual irregularity.

If you have any other health concerns of reproductive health symptoms besides just a longer or more irregular cycle, I'd also bring them to a healthcare provider, too, just to check in.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

thatswhatshesaid
Neophyte
Member # 93264

Okay thanks.
thatswhatshesaid
Neophyte
Member # 93264

Hi...I'm back. I still haven't had my period. I ended up having sex again on the 3rd and 4th. It was protected sex. On the 5th, I took another pregnancy test for the first risk...still negative. I'm scared, though. I have bloating, gas, a little nausea and my classic period signs, but not period. I'm stressing and starting to freak out. Could I be pregnant despite the negatives? I've read that that can happen.
Saffron Raymie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 49582

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Saffron Raymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It sounds like you used your condoms perfectly, which are 98% effective. You've also had two negative tests. You can definately rule out pregnancy.

As Heather mentioned; periods can be late or just not show up for all kinds of reasons - including stress. An idea might be to check in with your doctor about your period - but pregnancy isn't an option at all here.

--------------------
'Obtain the virgin's consent before you marry her' - Prophet Mohammad (pbuh)

Posts: 1285 | From: England | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thatswhatshesaid
Neophyte
Member # 93264

Mmkay. I'll try to schedule an appointment with my doctor soon. I'm trying to be calm, but it's really hard, lol. Thanks for the help.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.