Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » Some questions about BC pill usage

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Some questions about BC pill usage
nayit
Neophyte
Member # 47861

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nayit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm currently on Microgynon 30 and had some questions regarding the same.I've taken the pill everyday since the first day of my period.I was supposed to take them at 8pm everyday but on some occasions i took them within 3 hours and in one case or two in 4 hours.would this constitute as perfect use of the pill?

Given that I have taken the pill everyday,would I need extra precautions during my pill free week?
When is a period normally expected while on the pill-free week?

I'm currently in a relationship and had sex while on my pill free week.we used a condom and he withdrew long before he ejaculated.Along with this,we also checked the condom for rips or tears.
In such a case,would there be any pregnancy risk to worry about at all?

Posts: 35 | From: United Kingdom | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great questions. I just want to clarify something so I understand what you're saying. You're saying that you usually took your pill at 8 PM, but that you couldn't always take it then and ended up taking it a couple of hours earlier or later? If this is the case, this is good. The pill is most effective when taken at the same time every day, but it sounds like you were pretty consistent with the time of day if not the exact hour. Kudos to you!

The idea of the pill free week is to let your uterus shed its lining. Because taking the birth control pill prevents you from ovulating, it still protects you during that week. Basically, as long as the pill has done it's job, there's no egg for the sperm to potentially find. Using a condom is never a bad idea, because it gives you peace of mind and does protect against STI transmition. Ifyou want to make sure that you have that bakup protection, it needs to be consistent. IN other words, you're just as protected by the pill during the week you don't take it, but if you want to make sure that you're extra protected all the time, you can use condoms too. Oh, and again, kudos to you for checking the condom for rips and tears. [Smile]

When you start bleeding after stopping the hormonal pills is usually pretty individual. Bleeding might be lighter, because one of the things the Pill does is thin your uterine lining.

We get pill questions all the time, an there's more info under this link. Let us know if you have more questions or concerns!

http://www.scarleteen.com/article/advice/three_questions_about_taking_the_birth_control_pill_and_plenty_of_answers

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nayit
Neophyte
Member # 47861

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nayit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,thanks for the reply.I found the information, helpful.
Yes I did take the pill at around 8PM everyday.On some occasions I took them within the 3 hour window as I did no have the pill with me at all times.

Just to be sure,in the event that I am on my pill free week and I had sex with my boyfriend with a condom and he withdrew long before he ejaculated(the condom was checked for rips or tears) then I am not running a pregnancy risk am I?

P.S: thank you for the link on BC pills.They were extremely informative.

Posts: 35 | From: United Kingdom | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If his ejaculate never came in contact with your genitals then you have no reasons to be concerned about pregnancy. If you ever feel anxious about it, you could use a home pregnancy test if you think that would be helpful to you.

I'm glad you enjoyed the link. We have plenty more info on all kinds of subjects. In fact, here's another link, this one on the effectiveness rates of backing up the Pill with another protection method. [Smile]

http://www.scarleteen.com/article/reproduction/the_buddy_system_effectiveness_rates_for_backing_up_your_birth_control_with_a_s

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.