Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » does this really happen?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: does this really happen?
flippo
Neophyte
Member # 60699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for flippo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know that to be as safe as possible, you need a condom for all genital contact. Hypothetically, you could get pregnant from pre-ejaculate getting on your genital area, right? But have you ever heard of this actually happening?

I'm asking because my period is almost two weeks late, but the only sexual activity I've had since my last period was not intercourse. My partner's bare penis pressed into my genital area, possibly including the rim of my vagina, for a few seconds before we stopped because we didn't have a condom. He didn't ejaculate or anything but of course you never know about precum. It seems a little absurd as I write this to be worried about pregnancy because the risk is so small, but of couse since my period is MIA, I'm freaking out and my mind is starting to overanalyze. Could I get pregnant from this? You always say there's a risk. I'm also scared that if I was pregnant no one would believe that I didn't have sex.

Posts: 31 | From: USA | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
flippo
Neophyte
Member # 60699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for flippo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also, my periods are normally very regular, but they've been irregular a few times in the past several months. For example, in September, my period was two weeks late, and in November, it was a week early. Any ideas why this might happen?
Posts: 31 | From: USA | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
flippo
Neophyte
Member # 60699

Okay I feel stupid for posting this now after reading lots of posts but there's no way to delete this. I know you're going to tell me I've had a risk and now I'm freaking out even more.
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Withdrawal isn't 100% effective in perfect use, like all methods. If and when someone uses no other method with intercourse or direct genital contact like this, but there isn't ejaculation, we should figure we're talking about withdrawal.

However, in estimates it's as much as 96% effective in perfect use, which means withdrawing well before ejaculation, which clearly happened here. So, the pregnancy risk is not that high. It exists, but STI risks are often more of an issue.

So, I do think you will want to take a test regardless, just in case, and also to ease your mind. I also think that moving forward, you need to recognize that rubbing genitals together is a kind of sex, and you are talking about intercourse, here, too. I say that not to be judgy, but so you know moving forward that the risks of those things will exist if you do this again, and since it sounds like you're not comfortable with those risks, you might want to either rethink this or talk with your partner about safer sex and contraception if you do want to engage in this again, okay?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.