Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » Period MIA since 12 days...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Period MIA since 12 days...
Shahla
Neophyte
Member # 58955

Icon 11 posted      Profile for Shahla     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi...

i had a valid pregnancy risk on the 6th day of my last cycle, (16th nov.) and i took EC. my period should have started on 11th of this month but didn't.

i took two home pregnanncy tests two days apart (day before yesterday & today) , coz i had read that the amount of hCG doubles every48 hours in early pregnancy and anyway enough time had elapsed since the risk for it to reach levels detectable by any of the tests i guess

both came back negative.

but my period is still MIA since 12 days...

both the tests were of the same brand and the same manufactured lot...do u think i should repeat it with another brand or something ?
or go for a blood test for beta-hCG?

the only thing i don't get is, even with taking EC once before, my periods weren't screwed up, then why this time? does it make sense?

Posts: 30 | From: India | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think we can safely assume you did not become pregnant, and your period is likely MIA because your cycle was impacted by the EC.

How EC impacts the body isn't always the same every time, so not having this happen before but having it happen now....well, can absolutely happen. And that can also be more likely when we're talking about EC being taken at different times of the cycle, where it does often tend to have different impact.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shahla
Neophyte
Member # 58955

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shahla     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah...that's right..
but the more days pass the more i get myself freaked out....can't afford a possible pregnancy in ANY way at all....

you don't think i need to repeat test with a different brand or go for a blood test, do you?

Posts: 30 | From: India | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I really don't, know.

I think your best bet right now is to try and calm down -- and I understand that's very hard, and get why you're cared -- and just wait this out. I think that it might also help to make some plans moving forward about your sex life and contraception where you can know you aren't going to be dealing with this level of risk again.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shahla
Neophyte
Member # 58955

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shahla     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Umm...i'm sorry i may have been reading this wrong but re: first line of your your reply above

"I really don't know" or "I really don't, no" ?

Heather
Member # 3

Sorry, my fingers have not been doing their job well this morning.

I mean I really don't, no. I don't think you need to test again.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

Shahla
Neophyte
Member # 58955

Thank you so much Heather...your opinion and support really matters a lot to me. Thanks [Smile]
Heather
Member # 3

Of course.

Did you want to talk today about plans for moving forward, or save that for another time?

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

Shahla
Neophyte
Member # 58955

Yes, yes I do. On my previous thread i talked a little with Stephanie and Kat about it.

It was basically this, that me and my boyfriend get to meet privately on an average of about once a month, and even then we mostly refrain from actual intercourse re : the society outlook abt premarital sex and all...and the unaffordable risks of that for us...but usually, we do engage in oral / manual sex...so since it's only about once a month, should i start on birth control pills and back it up with condoms or for such infrequent occurrences, condom + EC is okay enough? what would you suggest?

i am kinda reluctant towards regular BC coz of the long term side effects and the fact that i'll have to sneak and hide to take it, wouldn't want my mother or roomie or random friends to find out coz in the community where i live, a "good / cultured girl" isn't supposed to be sexually active before marriage...stuff like that.

what do u suggest?

Heather
Member # 3

EC is really something you want to save for emergencies, especially since it's not one of the most effective methods. As you've experienced, too, it can throw things out of whack and give someone already panicking more to worry about, which obviously isn't so great.

Also there really aren't "long-term effects" of birth control pills, but we can certainly talk more about that if you want to.

I hear you saying that, ideally, you'd want a very reliable method -- since you're clear pregnancy is absolutely not something you want -- to use with condoms that could be hidden. Does that sound right?

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

Shahla
Neophyte
Member # 58955

Yeah...that's right...what could be the options?
Kachina
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 42505

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kachina     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are quite a few methods that are very effective and can be easily hidden from anyone knowing you are using it.

These methods are all inserted or taken at the doctor's office, so there is nothing for you to have at your dorm that anyone could stumble onto:
Depo-Provera (The Shot) - You get this birth control shot every 3 months at your doctor's office.
Intrauterine Devices (IUD, IUC or IUS) - this is inserted into the uterus and remains there until it's removed
the Contraceptive Implant (Implanon) - this is an implant that goes into your arm.

These methods are changed weekly or monthly, so you may be able to hide them better than the daily pill, but there is still something you would need to keep in a private spot:
the Contraceptive Patch
the Vaginal Ring (Nuvaring)

--------------------
~Kat
Scarleteen Volunteer

Humans are allergic to change. They love to say, "We've always done it this way." I try to fight that. That's why I have a clock on my wall that runs counter-clockwise. - Grace Hopper

Posts: 876 | From: Seattle | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.