Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » Question about abnormal bleeding after EC...please help...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Question about abnormal bleeding after EC...please help...
Shahla
Neophyte
Member # 58955

Icon 9 posted      Profile for Shahla     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi...

I had a question about the sort of withdrawl bleeding that may happen after a single dose of EC..is it a sign that the pill worked and that you are not pregnant? And how late or how off are next usual periods likely to be after that? is it possible that they are skipped completely for a month?

My boyfriend and i had unprotected sex on Nov. 16th...my periods had started on 11th Nov so that would have been about the 6th day of my cycle...he did not ejaculate way up inside me...at the entrance, rather. I took EC right after, within one hour (iPill - Levonorgestrel 1.5 mg single dose). About 5 days later (on 21st) i experienced bleeding that lasted for about 3 days and was more than spotting but less than a period. Now this month my periods haven't started yet and are now 9 days late.

My periods have been extremely regular before i took the pill.
Should i take a pregnancy test? is it liable to give a trustworthy result after 9 days of missed period?

Considering the fact that we had sex on the 6th day of cycle and i took EC right after, is it likely that i could be pregnant? I know it's POSSIBLE, but is it likely? I have never before taken an emergency pill this early in my cycle before so i don't know...the only other time i took it was late in my cycle a few months ago and my periods were regular that time....i'm really scared..please help...

Posts: 30 | From: India | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shahla
Neophyte
Member # 58955

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shahla     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also needed to ask this, just for info : would an ectopic pregnancy also show up positive on the test? what would be the warning signs of an ectopic pregnancy?
Posts: 30 | From: India | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ectopic pregnancy is very rare, so not something it makes sense to worry about a lot if you haven't had one before. But yes, ectopic pregnancy will still usually register on a pregnancy test, but since hCg levels are often lower, it might take a little longer to get a positive result.

Bleeding with EC doesn't mean it worked or didn't work, nor would a lack of bleeding mean those things. It's just a common side effect, not proof or disproof of anything. How late -- or not -- periods are varies. Sometimes EC disrupts menstrual cycles, other times it doesn't.

Whenever you've had a risk like this and used EC, it makes the most sense to take a pregnancy test if your period doesn't come as expected, even though that could be just because of the EC. Since it's clear you had a risk (of STIs, too, just as a reminder), I'd suggest you take a test.

People can become pregnant on ANY day of their cycles. It's not the same level of risk every day, but knowing which days have higher risks and which lower is something someone can only know with any accuracy who charts their fertility. Day 6 can be lower risk for one person, but higher for another. But you had unprotected intercourse with an ejaculation, so that right there is how you know you took a real risk of pregnancy.

After this, if you'd like to also talk about making choices moving forward where you don't take this level of risk, we're happy to talk with you, be that about setting intercourse aside for now or about reliable contraception methods as well as STI protection.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shahla
Neophyte
Member # 58955

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shahla     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Heather [Smile] I'll take a test ASAP...i've read that sometimes it may show up as a false positive or false negative...in that case, should i take it twice just to be sure? if so, should i buy two of different brands? and how far apart should i take them?
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, pregnancy tests aren't 100% effective, but false positives are EXTREMELY rare, and false negatives aren't common either, when someone is taking a test correctly.

Enough time has passed here, if your period is over a week late, for you to get an accurate result. I don't see any reason to take more than one test nor a need to take it twice, especially on the same day. If you test now and it's negative but still don't get your period in a couple weeks, that's when it makes sense to test again.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shahla
Neophyte
Member # 58955

Also, i have trouble figuring out how the 5th or 6th day can be fertile for someone...if the bleeding continues till the fourth day, the uterine lining is being shed, right? and after that, how can in a mere two days the LH surge occur and ovulation happen? i mean, wouldn't it take time, as per the normal cycle? one or two days off ovulation is understandable, but how could it be, say, 8 days early?
Heather
Member # 3

The 5th or 6th day would not likely be a time in the cycle where most people would have an egg yet to fertilize, you're right. However, when we get even a few days further, the 9th, 10th or 11th, it would be. Sperm cells can survive inside the vagina, uterus or fallopian tubes for as long as 5-7 days. That's the piece most people don't know or remember, that a pregnancy risk isn't something that only is present on the same day of intercourse.

What's a "normal" cycle isn't something that is the same for all people. Some people ovulate on day 8, some day 11, some day 15, etc.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

Shahla
Neophyte
Member # 58955

if i take only a single test now and let's assume, god forbid, that it turns out a false negative...if i take the next two weeks later, i would be outside the safe limit for taking abortion pills, if at all i'm pregnant...so that's why i thought i should maybe test twice...coz there would be no alternative for me otherwise.

you're right...there are some issues i need help on and want to talk about. may i please get back to you tomorrow about that after i'm done taking the test? right now it's late night where i live and i'll take the test ASAP tomorrow morning...
thanks...

Heather
Member # 3

I'm here almost every day, so happy to talk about future choices and such whenever you like. [Smile]

In terms of medical abortion, I don't know where you are and what the issues are per law and access, but the abortion pill can be used up until 8 weeks of a pregnancy.

Mind, if you did become pregnant, and your period is a week and a half late because of it, unless you don't take the test properly, you are over 99% likely to get a positive result. So, worrying about being pregnant and a test not showing it really isn't a worry you need to invest energy in. But you also always have the option of going to the clinic you'd go to for an abortion pill and having them run a test if you don't feel good enough about that.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

Shahla
Neophyte
Member # 58955

In terms of medical abortion, i am not in such a good place. Hypothetically, if i'm gonna need it, it;s going to be kind of a big deal. Law and access is fine, i live apart from my parents in another city, and i could go to a gyn clinic and have the pills prescribed. I could go for follow-up visits as well myself, and my boyfriend, though he would probably freak out, would not abandon me and would support me in terms of time and care.

However, family-wise, not so good. Premarital sex is at the very least considered scandalous and immoral here and i don't feel that i could tell my parents about anything. I know it's not a healthy choice, but it means earning their major, life-long disappointment, disapproval and anger.

It would be a major guilt-issue and a burden on my conscience as well. And something i could never afford to reveal to anyone in my sciety. ANYONE. So hopefully it's nothing else but the pill disrupting my cycle...

Heather
Member # 3

Well, the thing to know is that if, in fact, you are pregnant and abortion is something you want, we can absolutely be there for you here every step of the way, with emotional support, with looking into access, the works.

But before we go there, let's first have you take that test and see if we even need to, okay?

[ 12-20-2011, 12:20 PM: Message edited by: Heather ]

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

Shahla
Neophyte
Member # 58955

hi...
i did the test in the afternoon and it came negative. i have a few (probably paranoid) doubts about it though, and so i'll repeat it tomorrow morning.

-- it was one of those tests where you put 3 drops of urine into a sample well at one end with a dropper...the first drop i put in came tinged with cervical mucus so i ended up putting in 4 i guess

-- it said to preferably use first morning sample but since i had bought it in the afternoon i tested it immediately

-- it said to read result within 5 minutes but i may have been like two minutes past that mark in reading them

you don't think any of these can make much of a difference, do you?
just checking.

Stephanie_1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 36725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephanie_1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The test still should have been accurate, but testing again in the morning should give you that extra piece of mind.

--------------------
"Sometimes the majority only means that all the fools are on the same side" ~Anon

Posts: 3429 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shahla
Neophyte
Member # 58955

Yes..i'll do it again just for the sake of being 101 % sure...

Am at much greater peace of mind than the last few days...primarily due to the fact that i've been able to talk to you amazing people...thanks for being there [Smile]

As Heather offered, i would like to talk a bit more about future options regarding contraception etc...

Me and my boyfriend get to meet privately on an average of about once a month, and even then we mostly refrain from actual intercourse ref : the society outlook abt premarital sex and all...and the unaffordable risks of that for us...but usually, we do engage in oral / manual sex...so since it's only about once a month, should i start on birth control pills and back it up with condoms or for such infrequent occurrences, condom + EC is okay enough? what would you suggest?

Stephanie_1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 36725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephanie_1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Before we get too involved with methods, I want to toss an article your way. It'll allow you a chance to go through some methods and see what ones jump out at you. Birth Control Bingo

Per STI risks, also going to toss a safer sex article your way: Safe, Sound & Sexy: A Safer Sex How-To

Per where you mentioned condoms and EC - if you mean using EC should a condom break, that's fine. But if you're planning on EC anytime you have any type of sex as a back-up, it's not meant to be used as a regular form of Birth Control, and can really be expensive in the long run. But take a look through those two articles and see how you're feeling per methods and what you'd feel best with and we can fill in any information you like.

--------------------
"Sometimes the majority only means that all the fools are on the same side" ~Anon

Posts: 3429 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shahla
Neophyte
Member # 58955

Yes, i've read those articles...i am kind of reluctant towards typical birth control pills coz of their long-term side-effects and the fact that a lot of women on regular BC take time conceiving when they want to (that's right, right?) i'm only 21 and not married, so i don't want to screw up my chances for the future...my body doesn't react very well to hormones, and at such regular doses i'm too bothered about the side effects...

another reason is that most of the time i live with a roomie at my dorm, and my mom keeps coming over from my hometown to meet me...i'm bothered about someday accidentally leaving out my pack of BCPills and my friends / roomie / mom finding out...that would be kinda disastrous...

EC is not really expensive for me...one pill costs about a dollar in my currency...so isn't it okay to use condoms always and back up with EC if doubt abt condom failure and on high-risk days? since we have sex hardly about once a month, would that count as "regular" or "habitual" use of EC?

Kachina
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 42505

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kachina     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Birth control does not affect you're fertility in any permanent way. It only works while you are actively using it. It can take some time (like a couple months, not very long) for your body to get back to a regular cycle after taking some kinds of birth control, but it often can take quite some time to conceive when you want to anyway, whether you have been using birth control or not. As to other side effects - until you try any form of birth control you can't really know what kind of side effects you will get from it.

Do you not have any bags or drawers that are personal that you can keep medication/condoms in that your roommate doesn't go through? If not, do you think you could ask if you can designate some personal space? You should be able to have your roommate not going through your things...

I'm unsure what you mean by "high-risk days". If you use EC after every time you have sex, that would count as regular use, yes. And the amount of hormones could end up being more than if you used normal birth control, so if you don't want to be taking hormones then you don't want to use EC. Not to mention regular BC is more effective than EC.

If you only use EC when a condom breaks then that is correct use. Condoms are an effective form of birth control and it is certainly okay to just use condoms and use EC if there is a failure. Another nice thing about condoms is they protect you from STIs as well.

Condom Basics: A User's Manual

[ 12-21-2011, 05:12 PM: Message edited by: KatWA ]

--------------------
~Kat
Scarleteen Volunteer

Humans are allergic to change. They love to say, "We've always done it this way." I try to fight that. That's why I have a clock on my wall that runs counter-clockwise. - Grace Hopper

Posts: 876 | From: Seattle | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shahla
Neophyte
Member # 58955

Thanks Kat, i'll keep that in mind
[Smile]

Shahla
Neophyte
Member # 58955

I had another query, couldn't find an article addressing that...what is the best way to check that the condom didn't break during or before sex..i mean visibly split open will show itself, but how should we check for minor splits / holes...
Kachina
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 42505

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kachina     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When a condom breaks it is very obvious. It is like a balloon breaking. There won't be little holes that you can't see.

--------------------
~Kat
Scarleteen Volunteer

Humans are allergic to change. They love to say, "We've always done it this way." I try to fight that. That's why I have a clock on my wall that runs counter-clockwise. - Grace Hopper

Posts: 876 | From: Seattle | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shahla
Neophyte
Member # 58955

Hi...

i took two home pregnanncy tests two days apart , coz i had read that the amount of hCG doubles every48 hours in early pregnancy and anyway enough time had elapsed since the risk for it to reach levels detectable by any of the tests i guess

both came back negative.

but my period is still MIA since 12 days...
both the tests were of the same brand and the same manufactured lot...do u think i should repeat it with another brand or something ?
or go for a blood test for beta-hCG?

the only thing i don't get is, even with taking EC once before, my periods weren't screwed up, then why this time? does it make sense?

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.