Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » Birth Control Pill Mistake

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Birth Control Pill Mistake
pineapplepink
Neophyte
Member # 47163

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pineapplepink     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For birth control I am on Velivet, it's a triphasic regimen. I have been on it for over a year and I rarely miss a pill. As I went to take my pill last night, I noticed that on Friday I took a pill from the wrong week! I took week 3's Friday, not week 2's like I was supposed to. Either way, I still got some hormone in me and it was probably a higher dose. But what do I do now? Do I continue taking the pills in order? I took Friday's week 2 last night so now I have one pill left of week 2 and 6 left for week 3.

I called my pharmacist and he told me to keep taking them in order but that the mistake "really messed me up" and I should use backup. I then called my pharmacist from home for a second opinion and he said that it's "not that big of a deal."

The more urgent matter is that I had sex on Wednesday. I would appreciate a third opinion on whether or not I am at risk now from that mistake. I will use a second form of protection for the rest of the month either way.

Thank you!

Posts: 10 | From: USA | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So the last time you had sex was before the mix-up with your pills? If so, then that's not a concern as far as risk goes: a mistake with pills is only a worry for sex that happens after that mistake, not before.

As far as the effectiveness of the rest of this pack goes, it may have been compromised, although your pill won't be totally ineffective; however, using a second method of birth control is always a good idea whenever something like this happens.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pineapplepink
Neophyte
Member # 47163

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pineapplepink     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, the Wednesday before. I remember learning that starting a pack late puts you at risk because you could ovulate and there could also be sperm left behind from recent intercourse. I wanted to make sure that this wasn't a situation like that. Thanks for the response!
Posts: 10 | From: USA | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.