Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » Period affected by diet?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Period affected by diet?
nayit
Neophyte
Member # 47861

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nayit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've had regular periods since June until last month.However this past month,I have been on a more healthier,low calorie diet such as eating vegetables for dinner and salads for lunch.I've lost some weight and now my period seems to be delayed (I was supposed to get it day before).I've cut back severely on my meat consumption for this past month as well.

It may not be any reason to panic but my periods are generally quite regular.
Is it possible that my new low calorie diet is causing a delay? I'm supposed to be starting by Birth control pills from this cycle onwards (Microgynon30) but since my period is not here yet,can I take them anyway?

Posts: 35 | From: United Kingdom | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A change in diet can certainly affect the menstrual cycle. So, yes, that may explain why your period is late this month.

Also, did you start your period earlier this year? If so, some irregularity is completely normal. In the first couple of years, periods can be all over the place until the menstrual cycle becomes regular.

As for starting the pill, you can technically do that at any point in the cycle. However, it's best to start on the first day of your period - that way, you'll be fully protected sooner, and you have a lower chance of irregular withdrawal bleedings. So, I'd suggest you simply wait until this period turns up, and then start the pill on the first day of the period.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nayit
Neophyte
Member # 47861

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nayit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No I started my period when I was 12 and I'm 20 now.Its been very regular so far.

If I start now,what is the percentage of effectiveness of the pill? How will it affect the pill's function if I start now?

Posts: 35 | From: United Kingdom | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was just confused as you said you have had regular periods since June - because if your periods were irregular before then, as well, it sounds like they've just generally been irregular and this isn't anything new. If that is the case, have you discussed this irregularity with your gynecologist at all?

If you start the pill now, you will want to use a back-up method of protection for the entire first pack. You'll also want to be prepared for spotting, and for your withdrawal bleeds to be a bit wonky for the first 3 or so months.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nayit
Neophyte
Member # 47861

I apologise for the confusion.I should have been clear.I've had regular periods all through these years.I was on Microgynon 30 for 3 months since June and would like to restart now as they eased PMS symptoms.

If I use a back up option along with the pill,how protected will I be against a pregnancy risk?

nayit
Neophyte
Member # 47861

Just another question,the leaflet for Microgynon 30 says that by starting the pill,from the first day of the menstrual cycle a person is protected against against pregnancy risk immediately and need not use a back up methods.
However it says if a person chooses to start the pill at any point then they need to use a back up for the first 7 days of using the pill.Would this mean that after the first 7 days,a person if fully protected against a pregnancy risk?

If I take the pill from tomorrow for example and then happen to get my period for this month in the next few days then do I continue taking it while on my period ? After i finish one pack of the pill,should I expect a period/withdrawal bleed in the 7 pill free days? or will it be affected as I started the pill before my period?

Stephanie_1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 36725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephanie_1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Combination OCP + Female Condoms = 99.98% effective with perfect use - 98.32% effective with typical use

Ideally, we suggest waiting one full month to consider the pill is working (though it can be less, some people's bodies take a bit longer to get accustomed). Per when to expect periods, your period may be off for the first couple of months on the pill, so there's no way of knowing for sure when it'll come. But if your period is close, you may just want to wait until the first day of your period to start the pills.

--------------------
"Sometimes the majority only means that all the fools are on the same side" ~Anon

Posts: 3429 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.