Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » Abdominal Pain and strange symptoms

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Abdominal Pain and strange symptoms
Pumpkinator
Neophyte
Member # 81689

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pumpkinator     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi I've read the blog before and the articles you guys offer for help before posting to see if I could get some answers and some fit my problem some don't so here it goes, I have a few questions:

I started being sexually active bout 3 months ago. My last 2 periods (or what i think to be periods) have come on time but they've been very light and lasted 3-4 days, my regular periods are somewhat heavy and last for about a week. I know it said that intercourse doesn't affect your cycle but is there any way it might have or is this change just due to hormones or is this spotting. and what how can you exactly know spotting from a regular period?

Also, as of 2-3 weeks ago I started having some pain in the lower right side of my abdomen and its gotten somewhat swollen. The pain started 3 days after i engaged in manual sex while it was happening I noticed that i got a bit hurt then noticed I was bleeding so we stopped. The blood could've been from my period because it was about 5 days after my period ended or thought it ended. The next day in the morning I noticed an odorless yellowish discharge just in the morning after that it didn't happen again. 3 days after the manual sex like I mentioned before, I started having abdominal pain, it lasted all day not as intense but it was noticeable then it went somewhat away at night. The next morning it started hurting once again until I had intercourse later that day then it stopped. Since then, I've been somewhat dry and the pain has been on and off as well as a little itching for the past 2-3 weeks and I noticed that my right side were it hurt is a little swollen and earlier today I noticed that the right side of my vulva is also swollen. I've used safe protection while having intercourse (handling condom while pulling out, making sure its ok, etc) but not for manual or oral sex (this will change). I understand you're not doctors but I'd appreciate an opinion; could it be an infection, STI, or even ectopic pregnancy or something totally different like appendicitis? I've taken a preg test twice and its been negative but I've read that ectopic pregs not always turn positive on home test. (This part might just be me freaking out for a risk).

Side information:
For a month now my tongue has been swollen but mostly on the left side along with red bumps in the back of my tongue. They're don't have a white tip, not too big and they don't hurt. I went to the doctor for it and she said it was allergies and gave me over the counter meds but they're still not going away, they're the same. Another thing, I've never had an STI test and never visited a GYN. I've discussed this with my mom but we figured since I wasn't sexually active it wouldn't matter even though I now see that doesn't matter, not all illnesses are sexually related.

PS: I really appreciate what the whole Scarleteen team does in here for us girls who have no idea, no one to reach out to or just confused about sex and our reproductive systems in a society were this stuff its not talked about at all, its all a hush when its just part of life. So thank you much [Smile]

Posts: 11 | From: chicago, il | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sex of any kind, unless it results in pregnancy, can't change a menstrual cycle. Other things can, but becoming sexually active isn't the cause of your periods changing. (The difference between spotting and a period is that spotting is pretty much just what it sounds like: a very small amount of blood that usually shows up as a few spots in your underwear or on a pad.)

Per your other symptoms, it's quite likely an infection of some kind, but the best thing to do is get checked out by a doctor. Pregnancy (especially ectopic pregnancy, which is quite rare) is extremely unlikely here, given that you've been using condoms properly AND had two negative tests, but two not-normal-for-you periods and abdominal pain combined with bleeding after sex, itching and swelling is something that definitely needs to be checked out by a healthcare provider.

Since you are now sexually active, it's also a good time to get started on your annual gyn checkups and testing. It would be a good idea to ask for a second opinion about the bumps on your tongue too, since the meds aren't helping.

Until you can get in to see a doc, take a break from any kind of sex. If it is some kind of infection or irritation, sex won't help and may actually make things more uncomfortable. It would also be a good idea for your partner to get tested as well, if he's not current with his screenings.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pumpkinator
Neophyte
Member # 81689

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pumpkinator     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Its been so long since I posted on this but I do have an update.

So after I posted this, I did go get STD testing done and I was cleared on everything and I'm about to get tested again just to check up.

I went to the gyn about the abdominal pain, I do believe it was stress overload and the gyn just said I had nothing going on, it might be a small cyst that something happen to just keep an eye on it. The pain has not returned since, still keeping an eye on it though just in case. I did start getting my gyn check ups on everything else and I was fine

I haven't gotten a 2nd opinion on the bumps on my tongue. They haven't hurt since then, haven't grown size or nothing, they're just there but I do have bad breath now and other general dental high gene. So although I don't think its sexually related, I do think I have an infection of some sort and I will go to the dentist to see what's going on for that this week.

Thanks so much for all the help

Posts: 11 | From: chicago, il | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.