Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » Birth Control Pills? Starting Them? Help, please.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Birth Control Pills? Starting Them? Help, please.
LivingLife1StepAtATime
Neophyte
Member # 80524

Icon 5 posted      Profile for LivingLife1StepAtATime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello. I had been on the Pill, Lo Loestrin, starting around say March. I was on that pill for 3 months but after the 3 months I was still having really bad side effects. I was told to start taking my pills when my period started again and not to use the Sunday start method. However I "quick started" my pills because I had skipped my period. (I was not sexually active at the time.) That pill gave me a period every 2 weeks with 3 days in between my bleeding cycle. So I started to take Loestrin 24 Fe. I has sex for the first time when I was on this pill (Aug 7th), it was unprotected and he pulled out (if you can call it that, he never ejaculated, other than the pre-ejaculate) I stopped taking that pill at the end of the month. I had a long heavy period when I came off this pill and I when to the OB/GYN an he gave me a new pill to take at the start of my next period. Now I am (supposed to be) on Ortho-Tri-Cyclen (however I got the generic version, Tri-Sprintec. Will this make any difference?) And I was told to start either with the 1st-day start or the Sunday start. But I know I've skipped it, well not really I have horribly scattered periods which is why I went on the pills in the first place. This creates a problem, my boyfriend and I were making out today and we ended up almost having sex. I feel uncomfortable having sex if I'm not on the pill. Even if we were to use a condom. For the record he did have one on him and brought it out but I told him no. So would it be ok if I quick start my pills again? What could happen? Will it change how effective they will be? If I quick start them it will be tomorrow night so I need to know soon!

Thanks so much!

Posts: 24 | From: US; East Coast | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The reason a Sunday start or first day start is recommended is because doing either of those generally means your body gets used to the pill a bit quicker (so there's less chance of breakthrough bleeding or spotting) and because it means that your pill will likely reach its full effectiveness more quickly (though waiting a full pack before relying on it alone for birth control is still a smart move). Technically, you can start the pill at any time, but if it's anything other than a Sunday or first day start, you absolutely need to use a backup method like condoms for the entire first pack, and it's more likely you'll have some spotting. Whether or not you're okay with that is up to you.

Per the brand of pills you have, the generic has exactly the same ingredients as the brand name, so it won't make any difference.

Does that help?

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LivingLife1StepAtATime
Neophyte
Member # 80524

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LivingLife1StepAtATime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes! Thank you so much! I'd rather have a little spotting, and have regular periods and not have sex for a month than wait god knows how long for my next cycle! Thank you again!
Posts: 24 | From: US; East Coast | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.