Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » Plan B and Ovulating

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Plan B and Ovulating
whazzupp8
Neophyte
Member # 77203

Icon 1 posted      Profile for whazzupp8     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had unprotected sex(it was for about 1 min). He pulled out but possible pre-cum and maybe a little bit of cum might've been in me. I took Plan B about 15 hours later. It's also possible I could've been ovulating at the time. I was wondering if the 95% effective rate is lessened if I was ovulating? please help. I am having anxiety attacks of this
Posts: 5 | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Plan B works in the same three ways -- potentially -- as other oral contraceptives, which includes suppressing ovulation.

Di you chart your fertility to have some sense of when you ovulate each month? If so, then I think it's sound to consider this (and yes, if you were already ovulating, we know that's when it is less likely to be effective). If not, then I don't think it's sound to put emotional energy into this. No matter what, mind, you've already done all you can do here as far as reducing pregnancy risks. I'd just also make sure you follow up with STI testing in the next couple of months, okay?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About MeGet our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67925 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
whazzupp8
Neophyte
Member # 77203

Icon 1 posted      Profile for whazzupp8     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No but my period started Aug. 5th which would me I would ovulate around that date if I went by the 28 day cycle. That would put my ovulation around Aug 17 which is when intercoure happened. I've never kept track so its possible I don't have a 28 day cycle but a shorter or longer one.

Do you know if its effectiveness is significantly decreased, if I was in fact ovulating?

Posts: 5 | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We know that if -- and this is a big if, since you don't chart are are just guessing, which just really isn't accurate for SO many people, especially younger people -- someone is already ovulating that yes, EC is more likely to fail. I can't say how significant a difference it is.

But since you don't chart your fertility in ways we know to be sound to estimate fertility well, I'd honestly just let this worry go. especially since, again, there's nothing else you can do at this point anyway, save making different choices in the future, you know?

--------------------
About MeGet our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67925 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
whazzupp8
Neophyte
Member # 77203

Ok, sounds like my odds of not being pregnant are good. Though I know its still a possibility. I have a few questions. Say I was pre-ovulation or post-ovulation, would the Plan B's effectiveness change at all? Also how long does ovulation usual occur?
Heather
Member # 3

Well, if you had already ovulated, and it had been a few days, there would not likely be anything for Plan B to do, since pregnancy occurring wouldn't be likely at all. If it was before ovulation, then again, one of the ways Plan B works is to suppress ovulation so it doesn't happen.

Generally, it's understood that there's a window of around five days in every cycle when it's most likely for someone to become pregnant, though you usually want to expand that window to a) accountfor how long sperm can live inside the vagina and b) for younger people who are more fertile.

But I really also want you to bear in mind that overthinking this isn't going to do anything. Once more with feeling: you've done all you can do at this point. It's either going to work or it isn't. So, what I'd suggest is knowing you did all you can do, waiting it out, and then doing what you need to so that moving on from here, you make sexual choices most in alignment with what you want. If that includes preventing pregnancy, then you're probably going to want to use a method more effective than withdrawal, or add a second method to that, like condoms or a hormonal method.

--------------------
About MeGet our book!

whazzupp8
Neophyte
Member # 77203

If I was pregnant, how many days after sex would signs start to show? Any before my missed period?
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The first reliable sign of pregnancy is a missed period. The symptoms that are commonly reported are as a result of the extra hormones in a pregnant woman's system. Periods are missed (or positive pregnancy tests occur) before these levels would be high enough to cause much or anything.

--------------------
Sarah Liz

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.